White cross on lawn in letters to the editor

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Religious tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Much like our ever expanding universe, the distant between ourselves grows and the attraction that once binded us lessens ever more. Human fractionization by way of religious intolerance is our current reality as it has been through the ages and only through humanistic tolerance can we all get along. Let us now pray...

You really need to do some reading of history.

Look at these posts. People in the villages are older, more educated and wealthier than the general population.
Sadly even here you cannot discuss religion or politics.
SADLY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SO
Old 07-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
You really need to do some reading of history.

Look at these posts. People in the villages are older, more educated and wealthier than the general population.

Sadly even here you cannot discuss religion or politics.

SADLY IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SO

I do think it is possible to discuss religion here, but politics is an intolerable mix of oil and water on TOTV. People have lost the ability to debate. It has been replaced by posting links and citing sources both reasonable and unreasonable. Above all else people have lost their sense of humor...much more rant than laugh. Thank goodness for the ignore button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 AM
Default Everything is a thing now a days but rules are rules

I read through this thread and the immaturity of some of the posts for older adults. It is simple justvlike when we had our golf cart outside in our yard for sale. The enforcement officier knocked on our door stating that is against the deed you signed having items for sale in your yard. I simply aid thank you for the information I was not aware and put it in a parking lot in a square or ref center at his suggestion. Whether that legal or not J don't know but if told it is against the deed remove and move on period. Most people donhjngs then are told because really not everyone reads every little things they signed propbably 85% don't.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think this horse has been beat to death.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I think this horse has been beat to death.
Excellent summary. I stand with deed restrictions. It is one of the top reasons we moved HERE.

I just hope that no one near me begins to let their landscape take care of itself and save water in the name of green. Florida Friendly seems like such a lovely NAME,...........

Ugly, some of it. Looks like lazy people live there.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Default Complaints

I don't think you should run to the lawn police until that is a last resort. Knock on your neighbor's door first. What happened to the friendliest hometown?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyobrien View Post
I don't think you should run to the lawn police until that is a last resort. Knock on your neighbor's door first. What happened to the friendliest hometown?
I disagree. I don't think people take kindly to being told directly they have bad taste in lawn ornaments. There are some far less ugly than these...but I have seen these......

plywood lawn ornament of fat bend over lady - Bing
Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 AM

After reading the post from the guy who says that the Nazi symbol is okay with him ..... oh my ... is that where we are heading? Is he okay with a bunch of guys with pointed hats burning crosses too?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

No lawn ornaments means no lawn ornaments. That includes anything that is a lawn ornament, religious or not. Simple, very simple. Abide by the restrictions in your district. Follow the rules. The restrictions are not onerous. Keep the anonymous system. I have seen confrontations between neighbors over a stupid ornament and it can divide a neighborhood. What is it that people do not understand about this?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Default Future Resident ...

I am considering buying in The Villages, so thought you might like my take on this:
One of the reasons I would buy is for aesthetics and uniformity in appearance as this keeps home values up, so it's important that everyone adhere to the rules. It's impossible to let one display an item and then deny someone else this ability, which is why there are rules in the fist place.
Where I live now, some residents began shining the green "military support" lights on the exterior of their home. While a noble gesture -- and I certainly support our troops -- we had to stop this because it was a violation, and where would you draw the line? If allowed, we would soon have a carnival atmosphere in our community with pink lights supporting breast cancer awareness, blue lights supporting our police, red lights supporting heart health, etc. -- each very worthy. However, we had to enforce our covenants.
If I see lots of lawn ornamentation -- however important to the homeowner -- I WILL NOT BUY, for this would be a huge red flag to me of problems ahead!
My suggestion: Display your ornamentation INSIDE your house in a window. This can still be seen from outside by passersby who look, but it would not violate your contract.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM12 View Post
I am considering buying in The Villages, so thought you might like my take on this:
One of the reasons I would buy is for aesthetics and uniformity in appearance as this keeps home values up, so it's important that everyone adhere to the rules. It's impossible to let one display an item and then deny someone else this ability, which is why there are rules in the fist place.
Where I live now, some residents began shining the green "military support" lights on the exterior of their home. While a noble gesture -- and I certainly support our troops -- we had to stop this because it was a violation, and where would you draw the line? If allowed, we would soon have a carnival atmosphere in our community with pink lights supporting breast cancer awareness, blue lights supporting our police, red lights supporting heart health, etc. -- each very worthy. However, we had to enforce our covenants.
If I see lots of lawn ornamentation -- however important to the homeowner -- I WILL NOT BUY, for this would be a huge red flag to me of problems ahead!
My suggestion: Display your ornamentation INSIDE your house in a window. This can still be seen from outside by passersby who look, but it would not violate your contract.
A voice of reason. I hope you do decide to move here.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well,I consider myself as a Christian & I have no complaints about a 10 in. white cross in somebodies yard. I feel & this is just my own opinion, I think this got started when we had a president that pushed other religions. So I think some people are just trying to show America that this is a Christian country, not one of the others. Personally If one of my neighbors were showing a symbol of their religion I probably won't be real neighborly, maybe a HI to them. This symbol of our religion is getting a little carried away, I think! What's our country coming to!!!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well,I consider myself as a Christian & I have no complaints about a 10 in. white cross in somebodies yard. I feel & this is just my own opinion, I think this got started when we had a president that pushed other religions. So I think some people are just trying to show America that this is a Christian country, not one of the others. Personally If one of my neighbors were showing a symbol of their religion I probably won't be real neighborly, maybe a HI to them. This symbol of our religion is getting a little carried away, I think! What's our country coming to!!!
This is not a Christian country. Christians need a history lesson. This country was founded because Christians were being burned alive BY OTHER CHRISTIANS because they belonged to the wrong denomination of Christianity. Read about the Thirty Years War, Bloody Mary, etc. and realize there is a reason that God is not mentioned in our Constitution, which is by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE, not any religion.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM

I agree and when I see people not adhering to rules and nothing is being done about it I get very annoyed. I keep asking community development to put put a newsletter abput rules but they won"t and what a waste of money for the community watch who only drive around and can't even cite a violation. They should put in guarded and gated entrances and do away with them. It seems it would be cheper than paying for trucks and gas for these people to just drive around. Garbage in front of houses more than 24 hours in advance, and lawn debris in bags being kept in front of their garages all the time - why can't people be comsiderate of their neighbors. It dosen't take much to start bringing down the looks of the community. And I do not think white crosses or any religious memorabalia should be in view except at Christmas. There are many relgions and I don't think you would want to see a STAR OF DAVID HANGING ON A TREE or the insignias for any other religion so people should stop putting them there. People are ruining putting beautiful swans, etc in their fromt yards because it will be everything or nothing.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Agree with Rubicon, couldn't have said it better...people buy in here because of the way it looks and then the first thing they want to do is start changing it...It's amazing how people sign contracts and don't read what it says...
Closed Thread

Tags
white, cross, sculpture, religion, red

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.