Whole House surge supressors

Old 05-24-2024, 09:24 AM
Default Usb

Does anyone know if a surge or lightning strike will get thru the USB charger block (wall wart) and damage the device plugged into it? Like our cell phones. Or just damage the power block? And what about the transformers in the power line that charges our laptops? Will the laptop be damaged?
Thanks, Bob
Old 05-24-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
Does anyone know if a surge or lightning strike will get thru the USB charger block (wall wart) and damage the device plugged into it? Like our cell phones. Or just damage the power block? And what about the transformers in the power line that charges our laptops? Will the laptop be damaged?
Thanks, Bob
It really depends on the path between the charger and the strike location.
Closer is typically worse.
Hitting a power line is worse.
Hitting a well grounded thing is better than a ground\building strike.
Being in the proximity of other people with surge protectors on the same feed line as you is better.
Having power company transformers between you and the strike minimizes power line transmission.
The energy of the actual lightning bolt can vary in orders of magnitude.
Surge suppression already in your house, on parallel power lines, helps.
Most current chargers do not use transformers. One side of the output is often tied directly to the AC power plug.

Since the device is generally at the end of the charge wire, with no other path for current to flow, damage flowing through the device to ground is not likely. Damage would happen when the surge gets through the charger and feeds surge voltage to the device.

So nobody can say for sure about the likelihood of damage.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
A search will find multiple threads on this topic.

EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge... Amazon.com
This one looks interesting. I looked on Amazon and see that some folks mounted it inside the breaker box and drilled two small holes in order to view the status LEDs. Anybody know what the NEC has to say about drilling holes in the breaker box cover?
Old 05-24-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
If Lighting strikes a house “ like the roof “ there is nothing in the world that will stop that.
Lightning protection systems commonly called lightning rods have been protecting structures for 250 years. Note that every building at Sumter Landing is protected as is every pumping station and even fire headquarters on Morse Blvd. See the Art and Science of Lightning Protection by University of Florida professor of Dr. Martin Uman that can be found at the library.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:20 AM
Default See-through circuit breaker panel cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
drilled two small holes in order to view the status LEDs. Anybody know what the NEC has to say about drilling holes in the breaker box cover?
If this idea popped up via Amazon on a YouTube video, likely some DIY and may be not to code.

But, there are see-through panel covers that meet code.

H-Series Thru-View UL Type 4 Protective Housing | H-X-M3
– Grace Technologies, Inc.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Beware about power strip style surge protectors. There are garbage quality and good quality. Do not waste money on anything with garbage "features". How to tell?

Garbage = plastic case (catches fire is overloaded) Good = metal case
Garbage = no power cutting device (catches fire is overloaded) Good = popout circuit breaker
Garbage = no ratings listed, or just minimal protection Good = rated for >3000 joules
Garbage = loose outlet to plug connections (dangerous) Good = solid receptacle that holds plug snugly
Garbage = no warranty Good = lifetime warranty that covers device and connected gear
Garbage = cheap stuff Good = ISOBAR 8 ULTRA

Highly recommend if you have a plastic plug strip to throw it away.
Agreed, ISOBAR ULTRA is the best point of use surge protector. Get it on Amazon.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:51 AM
Default SECO Surge Suppressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

Thx for the update on this topic.
Yes, get a SECO Surge Suppressor! It is far superior to any other whole house surge suppressor that an every day Electrician would be able to install and has a more powerful Joule rating than an ordinary whole house surge suppressor has. In addition, install plug in surge suppressors on your TVs and computers, etc.

I've lived in Florida (lightning capital of the USA) for over 20 years and know many people who have paid a very high price for surges damaging their homes (including me)! You don't need to suffer a direct hit from lightning to experience a lot of damage. Even if you have homeowners insurance, you still need to pay the deductible and chances are that will cost much more than the SECO surge suppressor! I think that The Villages should ask SECO to install their whole house surge suppressors in ALL NEW homes!
Old 05-25-2024, 10:49 AM

We've been here going on 26 years and we have lost the garage door opener twice, the sprinkler control panel twice, and the dishwasher control panel once. We had Duke put in a whole house surge suppressor for protection and peace of mind.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Lightning protection systems commonly called lightning rods have been protecting structures for 250 years. Note that every building at Sumter Landing is protected as is every pumping station and even fire headquarters on Morse Blvd. See the Art and Science of Lightning Protection by University of Florida professor of Dr. Martin Uman that can be found at the library.
Any idea how many homes have been struck the past 5 years?

I'm aware of 5 south of 44. Two were total loss and still are not habital two years later.

The gas lines in the attic were enough to convince me to have a LPS installed to reduce the risk.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

Thx for the update on this topic.
The Most Effective ones are ones that you install inside your Breaker Box. They cost a few hundred dollars and are easy to install.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,423 Times in 5,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
The Most Effective ones are ones that you install inside your Breaker Box. They cost a few hundred dollars and are easy to install.
It seems to me you want to stop the surge before it gets into your house.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We asked the same question when the electrician for the pool was here. He didn’t install so no hard sell, but strongly suggested to only use on outside line. The pool has its own line, not coming from fuse box, so protector in fuse box would not help.

So we went with Seco, as he suggested. There has been 3 lightning strikes on homes. Damage to the roof and appliances, electronics, irrigation controllers, and pool controls
Old 05-25-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Any idea how many homes have been struck the past 5 years?

I'm aware of 5 south of 44. Two were total loss and still are not habital two years later.

The gas lines in the attic were enough to convince me to have a LPS installed to reduce the risk.
This will be discussed at the POA meeting on June 18, 7 PM at Laurel Manor.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
That works best for surges coming from the power lines.

The lightening can also induce surges into the house via nearby ground strike or into the house wiring from the electro-magnetic field. This is why local protection is also recommended for key devices.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We asked the same question when the electrician for the pool was here. He didn’t install so no hard sell, but strongly suggested to only use on outside line. The pool has its own line, not coming from fuse box, so protector in fuse box would not help.
Wonder where to power to run the pump comes from?
Ahhh... it does not come from the "fuse box". It comes from the circuit breaker panel. Where the surge protection would also be located (in or right before).

Tags
house, suppressor, electrical, surge, seco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.