Whole House surge supressors

Old 05-24-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

Thx for the update on this topic.
Seco's surge protector have a ten year warranty. If you get a surge it might protect your appliances or it might not. Have them replace it and there is no installation charge. You can lease it from them for, I think $5.99 a month but there is an installation charge. I would have it installed. Well worth the protection!
Old 05-24-2024, 07:21 AM

In 2021 my insurance company determined that my gas furnace in my garage was fried by lightning after a thorough investigation. Seco sent a representative out and they determined that there was no damage due to lightning. Insurance paid.....Seco did not. Form your own opinion.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

Seco will charge a monthly bill. They don’t go bad unless you get a hit. They won’t protect very “sensitive “ electronics, but worth having one. You get what you pay for on these devices.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 550 Posts

I rent one from SECO, for a small monthly charge. The first month that I lived here lightning killed a brand new TV. That's when I got the whole house surge guard thing.

Now, I have all my electronics plugged into UPSes and the SECO thing..... so far so good. <knock wood>
Old 05-24-2024, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,431 Times in 5,515 Posts

Great thread
Old 05-24-2024, 08:00 AM

Rusty Nelson just did a good video on surge protection on his The Villages with Rusty Nelson utube channel. A lot of good information!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

So.....

Yes, they are worth it.
We personally experienced a lightening strike in side yard. We had a whole house surge protector installed shortly after purchase and it saved us a lot of issues. It took the hit as it tried to enter the house. We know as it has an indicator light. It took out a board in our compressor on the outside but we lost nothing else. Well worth the cost. We didn’t purchase from SECO and purchased from a nearby electric supplier.
We replaced it directly after the hit and wouldn’t be without one after seeing the storm and lightening activity here.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
Seco will charge a monthly bill. They don’t go bad unless you get a hit. They won’t protect very “sensitive “ electronics, but worth having one. You get what you pay for on these devices.
You can pay a one time fee, or do a forever monthly fee. Your choice
Old 05-24-2024, 08:35 AM

SECO Surge Mitigators are good for 15 years, per the SECO warranty. Secondary Surge protection, for sensitive electrical equipment, is important. This includes: computers and related equipment, televisions, garage door opener, irrigation controller, microwave oven, refrigerator, etc. Secondary Surge Protectors are rates by the number of Joules. Here's a handy Guide as to number of Joules are needed for different electrical devices.

A surge protector is a device that protects sensitive electronic equipment from harmful voltage spikes and power surges. It absorbs excess energy much like a sponge absorbs water. They are different from power strips which provide power extension and extra outlets, but offer no protection against power spikes or surges.
What is a power surge?
A power surge is a short-term increase in voltage (or voltage spike) due to lightning strikes or unusual line conditions, like when power companies switch power distribution across grids. It's important to periodically replace your surge protector (once every 3-4 years is recommended in most cases) since power surges wear down the protective components inside the surge protector over time.

Why is surge protection important?
• The average household gets 350 power surges per year.
• Overvoltage, brownouts, power surges and voltage spikes occur five times a day on average.
• Small, frequent power surges cause cumulative damage, shortening the product lifespan.
• Power surges are the number one cause of data loss.
• Over 50% of equipment failure can be attributed to power surge/failure.
• The right surge protection will save your electronics and extend the life of your products.
• Choosing a surge protector will safeguard all your valuable electronics; many are backed by Connected Equipment Warranties.
What is a connected equipment warranty?
A connected equipment warranty covers equipment that is damaged by transient voltage while properly connected through a surge protector to a properly wired AC power line with a protective ground. Brands that offer CEWs will repair or replace any equipment damaged by a power surge, spike or lightning strike while properly connected to their surge protector, up to the listed amount.
What are the basic features of a surge protector?
• Joules of Protection range from 300 to over 4,000 joules to protect all devices from lamps to 4K televisions
• Multiple Outlets: 1, 3, 4, 7 6, 8, and 12 outlet variations accommodate any setup throughout your home
• LED Indicators indicate whether the surge protector is properly grounded and whether your devices are protected
• USB Ports charge mobile device rapidly and safely
• Cord Length: Choose the length that best fits the setup in any room of your house
• Protective Housing resists impact, corrosion, and scratching
How many joules of protection do I need?
Below 1,000 joules protect:
• Lamp
• Digital Alarm Clock
• Cell Phone Charger
• Phone/Answering Machine
• Small Kitchen Appliances
Between 1,000-2,000 joules protect:
• Laptop/Notebook
• Tablet
• Router
• Printer
• Power Tools
2,000 joules and above protect:
• HDTV
• Desktop Computer
• Stereo System
• Gaming Console
• DVR/Blu-ray Players
Additional things to consider
• High Capacity Metal Oxide Varistors (MOV) that offer surge protection for a range of devices. Well-designed surge protectors should not rely on MOVs to absorb surge energy, but instead to survive the process of harmlessly redirecting it to ground. Generally, more joules means an MOV absorbs less energy while diverting even more into ground.
• Over Current Protection (OCP) on USB ports to protect devices while charging.
• EMI/RFI Noise Filtration to reduce noise disruption and provide a clean and protected flow of power to your devices.
• Coaxial, Antenna, and Satellite Lines can also carry surges directly to devices. It’s important to choose a surge protector with these auxiliary protections.
• Safety Snap Covers that deter curious children and prevent metal objects from coming in contact with unused outlets.
What is a spike? What causes them?
A spike is a significant increase in voltage that can enter electronic equipment through AC, network, serial, phone or coaxial lines, and can damage or completely destroy components.
Spikes are most often caused by:
• Lightning
• Unusual power line conditions
• Noisy electrical surroundings
• Disturbance generated by users
What is line noise?
Line noise is technically referred to as electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI). Line Noise can cause program and file errors.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:46 AM

If you have Seco as your electric provider, they cover all major appliances in the home. Nothing lasts forever. The old one may still work but no warranty!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
...Your protector may be just fine if the two red lights are still on.

...more frequently happens when lightning strikes near your home....your home may get hit by an "induced“ surge which frequently trips circuit breakers, especially freezers and door openers in your garage but depending on the intensity can damage your HVAC system, inside and out, all your appliances, electronic equipment, pool and spa equipment, etc..

...Surge protection is a layered system (mounted on the electrical meter, a whole house surge protector; e.g. Eaton Ultra, and final protection are the surge protection power strips,

...At the end of the day, you need to look at what it will cost to install a surge protection system, at a minimum installing something like the Eaton surge protector in your circuit breaker panel and point of use surge protectors at your TV, computer and other sensitive devices, vs your tolerance for risk.
*** EXCELLENT thorough reply. Totally agree and understand the need for multiple layers of protection. My O.P was simply questioning the cost of the meter base protection versus the in-panel protection. I'll be doing all three layers!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:48 AM

Just had mine replaced and there’s no service charge, but I went with paying it off!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:53 AM

Florida is the Lightning Capital of the Country
Old 05-24-2024, 08:56 AM

If Lighting strikes a house “ like the roof “ there is nothing in the world that will stop that.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:07 AM

Beware about power strip style surge protectors. There are garbage quality and good quality. Do not waste money on anything with garbage "features". How to tell?

Garbage = plastic case (catches fire is overloaded) Good = metal case
Garbage = no power cutting device (catches fire is overloaded) Good = popout circuit breaker
Garbage = no ratings listed, or just minimal protection Good = rated for >3000 joules
Garbage = loose outlet to plug connections (dangerous) Good = solid receptacle that holds plug snugly
Garbage = no warranty Good = lifetime warranty that covers device and connected gear
Garbage = cheap stuff Good = ISOBAR 8 ULTRA

Highly recommend if you have a plastic plug strip to throw it away.

Tags
house, suppressor, electrical, surge, seco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.