Whole House surge supressors

Old 05-23-2024, 10:10 AM
Default Whole House surge supressors

Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

Thx for the update on this topic.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,378 Posts

In my opinion, it is a waste of money.

But, even if it weren't, it sounds like you already have one. So what if it is out-of-warranty. Read the SECO warranty online, and you will find out that it covers almost nothing.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

From firsthand experience: our neighbor had a very close in lightning strike at the rear of their property. We saw, heard, felt at the same time it was that close. They had around $7000 in damages, pool computer, pool pumps, landscape lighting, several GFCI, etc. We have a SECO surge unit, and suffered no apparent damage, however about 18 months later the cable tv feed was bad, Comcast determine the cable had failed probably due to the previous lighting strike.
As noted in another thread, I find these useful, but they do not cover all possible surges, so you need to have surge arrestors on sensitive equipment in your house. Make sure these surge arrestors are UL SURGE PROTECTOR LISTED, and not listed as extension cords, they will cost a little more but are worth it.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,

We recently bought a older house and SECO (the utility) tells me that the whole house surge suppressor is "out of warranty" and that they can replace it for $349.

At the same time, I see a solicitation thread here from an electrical contractor stating that they can install/replace a whole house suppressor for about $500++

So.....
1) Is a whole house suppressor worth it? Have you had appliance/electronic damage due to voltage spikes in The Villages?
2) These devices are available for a little over $100. Yes, I know what I'm doing re: electrical work.

A search will find multiple threads on this topic.

Since you "know what you are doing", if you have room to add a double breaker, they are easy to install and inexpensive risk reduction. If you move, you can take them with you.

Eaton has a dual snap in breaker module and a panel mount with higher surge capacity and better insurance coverage. I suspect much of the cost difference between the two is the insurance. The panel mount requires adding a dual 50A breaker.

Eaton BRNSURGE Type BR... Amazon.com

EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge... Amazon.com

Last edited by Altavia; 05-23-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:40 PM

1. I have not read the previous replies so I apologize if I repeat something already covered

2. My father also lived in TV and he had damage to a television, his irrigation controller, and his garage door opener when a nearby palm tree was struck by lightening

3. I have a SECO supplied whole house surge suppressor and have had no losses

4. You say you are are familiar with electric issues, but are you really? If you were, you would know that the whole house suppressor does not protect electrical devices ie TVs, irrigation controllers, garage door openers, sound systems, etc. For those you need to also use individual surge suppressors.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,431 Times in 5,515 Posts

When we moved here and found out about how much lightning comes we purchase the whole house surge protectors plus individual ones on expensive electronics.

So far so good
Old 05-23-2024, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

When pool was installed, electrician strongly recommended a surge protector.
They didn’t install so no up selling on their part.

Their recommendation was not to use a surge protector that installed in fuse box, but one that would cover lines into house, and line for pool. We went with Seco their protector would cover both house and pool. We also have separate protectors on electronics. 10 year warranty, that hopefully I won’t have to use.

At our previous house lighting struck 4 houses down, traveling underground, killing our irrigation, and refrigerator. We were on vaca, so all other appliances were unplugged. Would a protector helped in this situation, no idea.

But for $349 and free install, from Seco, it’s less money then I spend on coffee.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When pool was installed, electrician strongly recommended a surge protector.
They didn’t install so no up selling on their part.

Their recommendation was not to use a surge protector that installed in fuse box, but one that would cover lines into house, and line for pool. We went with Seco their protector would cover both house and pool. We also have separate protectors on electronics. 10 year warranty, that hopefully I won’t have to use.

At our previous house lighting struck 4 houses down, traveling underground, killing our irrigation, and refrigerator. We were on vaca, so all other appliances were unplugged. Would a protector helped in this situation, no idea.

But for $349 and free install, from Seco, it’s less money then I spend on coffee.
The electrician was correct, the longer the wire from the breaker box to the device, the greater the risk for a nearby strike inducing a surge into that wire.

Just like your other appliances, a protector near the pool pump/controls and HVAC is wise second level protection.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:29 AM

Waste of money? Just because you haven’t had any issues doesn’t make it a waste of money. I had friends that quite a few expensive appliances and hvac system got destroyed during electrical surges that they had. Another incident was A crew toppled a tree over a 3 phase line and people down the line got some of their electrical anppliances destroyed except the houses who had whole house suppressors (I was 1 that had a suppressor and I had no issues) but many of my neighbors did. It doesn’t always have to be a lightning hit, many things cause spikes, surges to your electrical supply.
As for cable issues, of course these aren’t covered because it’s not electrical, it’s an rg6 cable. Your internet cable isn’t covered either. They make separate suppressors for these items too.

As for which suppressors to buy, none of the mentioned. I always get the external suppressors that your utility company puts in the meter, so if anything happens, it stops at the meter. Also, when you mow your lawn, you can look at the lights on the unit to see if it is still working. If not, call the utility to have them come out and replace it. They give you a brochure that explains the tens of thousands of dollars of coverage.
All for a few bucks a month

Last edited by huge-pigeons; 05-24-2024 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:36 AM

Florida has the highest incidence of lightning strikes per year of any state. If you are knowledgeable and comfortable working with electrical equipment, then I would recommend doing the installation yourself . You can buy a quality “surge suppressor “ for as little as $150.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:43 AM

The surge protector SECO provides at the meter is a different type and different purpose than the one at the panel. In my opinion, both are required. I also have surge protectors on the electronics I have plugged in. We had a lightning strike a couple years ago, and I didn’t have any damage while my neighbors had significant damage. There are some good YouTube videos made by Villagers that explain how they all work.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Hi all,

So.....

Is it worth it to me? Yes. To you? Only you can answer that kind question.

I view these decisions of buying ‘protection’ like buying insurance: one pays something to reduce risk, not eliminate risk. If you are unlucky with lightning, the downside risk is time and money. Are you willing to deal with the hassle (time) and costs (money) if unlucky?

All of those protection devices reduce the risk of damage to electronic items in some degree but no one can actually measure it. That’s the main reason you get different opinions. It’s uncertain.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
The surge protector SECO provides at the meter is a different type and different purpose than the one at the panel. In my opinion, both are required. I also have surge protectors on the electronics I have plugged in. We had a lightning strike a couple years ago, and I didn’t have any damage while my neighbors had significant damage. There are some good YouTube videos made by Villagers that explain how they all work.
Correct. I also want to add that just because the Seco protector is out of warranty doesn't mean it's not working. Typically surge protectors "wear out" over time but only if they are repeditly hit with surges. Your protector may be just fine if the two red lights are still on.

I'm one of the electricial engineers in the Villages Lightning Study Group and here is the overall information on Surge Protection so everyone can make an informed decision.
>>>>>>>
First there is protection from a direct lightning strike to your home and then there is protection from induced power surges into your home’s electrical system if lightning strikes nearby.
There is nothing that will 100% protect your home from a direct lightning strike. A lightning protection system (lightning rod system) will minimize and or may prevent damage and will significantly lessen the risk of your home burning to the ground from this type of weather event. Because of all the building in the Villages we hear more and more about homes being struck and burning to the ground over the past couple of years.
The other part concerns surge protection which is more common but less often reported. This more frequently happens when lightning strikes near your home. When this occurs your home may get hit by an "induced“ surge which frequently trips circuit breakers, especially freezers and door openers in your garage but depending on the intensity can damage your HVAC system, inside and out, all your appliances, electronic equipment, pool and spa equipment, etc.. Surge protection is a layered system. There is a surge protector you can purchase or rent from your electric company mounted on the electrical meter as discussed here in this thread, which will protect you against surges coming in from the power lines. This happens statistically 20% of the time. Everyone is correct, the electric company has a sophisticated surge and grounding system to protect from this type of event and because most power surges don't come into your home from the utility, many who have this device still report surge damage in their home and the surge protector at the meter shows no sign of a surge. In addition to the surge protector at your electrical meter you can install what is called a "whole house surge protector". There are many but the Eaton Ultra is one of the more affordable and effective ones that's commonly installed by most electrical companies such as Pikes and Lenhart. This surge protector is mounted at your electrical circuit breaker box. Because it’s located at the breaker box the other 80% of the power surges you can get such as at the outside HVAC unit, pool, spa, outside lighting, etc., will be shunted by this device at the circuit breaker box and reduce and or eliminate the surge from spreading to the rest of the circuits in your home. Because surges are so fast, the surge protector has to be as close to the source as possible to be effective. The surge protector mounted on the electrical meter can help, but it's not designed to shunt these other types of induced surges. Its sole purpose is to reduce large surges coming from the power lines or surges induced into the power lines coming to your home so the rest of the surge protectors in your home can handle the level of the surge that remains. It can also shunt power surges origination from the rest of your electrical system but not to a low enough level for total protection. This is why their warranty doesn't cover any device with an electronic board. The "whole house" surge protector mounted in your circuit breaker box will protect your appliances, washer dryer and all other devices that are hard wired such as the HVAC air handler and your electric hot water heater because it's designed to shunt surges to either eliminate them or shunt them to a low enough level that your devices or other surge protection can handle the surge. The final protection are the surge protection power strips, plug-in or point of use surge protectors which you install at your TVs, computers and any other sensitive electrical equipment. These devices will shunt and protect your equipment form any remaining surges that get through your meter or whole house surge protector. If you want to go further you can install point of use surge protector outlets or plug-in protectors for your microwave, dishwasher, garage door openers, etc. and or hard-wired surge protectors at you outside HVAC unit, pool and spa equipment.

To summarize, Surge Protection is a layered system. You want to install surge protectors to reduce and or eliminate the power surge so by the time an initally large surge reaches your home devices it's small enough for the point of use surge protector to handle it. Damage from power surges is covered in your homeowner’s insurance but you still have to pay the deductible and deal with replacing all the damaged devices. We live in the lightning capital of the USA so investing in surge protection is probably a wise investment but like insurance, it depends on your tolerance to risk. I can tell you personally, there are many homeowners who experience an induced power surge from lightning strikes and loose all their electronic devices and never talk about it meaning it happens more frequently here in the Villages than you would expect. Most of us have at least $1,000 deductible on our homeowner’s insurance which more than pays for the surge protection I discussed here in this response. At the end of the day, you need to look at what it will cost to install a surge protection system, at a minimum installing something like the Eaton surge protector in your circuit breaker panel and point of use surge protectors at your TV, computer and other sensitive devices, vs your tolerance for risk. Remember, even though your insurance will cover devices destroyed by power surges in your home, you will have the inconvenience of dealing with the insurance company, having to replace everything that was destroyed and probably get an increase in your insurance premium at your next renewal.

I hope my response gives enough information so those reading can make an informed decision when it comes to lightning and surge protection.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Correct. I also want to add that just because the Seco protector is out of warranty doesn't mean it's not working. Typically surge protectors "wear out" over time but only if they are repeditly hit with surges. Your protector may be just fine if the two red lights are still on.

I'm one of the electricial engineers in the Villages Lightning Study Group and here is the overall information on Surge Protection so everyone can make an informed decision.
>>>>>>>
First there is protection from a direct lightning strike to your home and then there is protection from induced power surges into your home’s electrical system if lightning strikes nearby.
There is nothing that will 100% protect your home from a direct lightning strike. A lightning protection system (lightning rod system) will minimize and or may prevent damage and will significantly lessen the risk of your home burning to the ground from this type of weather event. Because of all the building in the Villages we hear more and more about homes being struck and burning to the ground over the past couple of years.
The other part concerns surge protection which is more common but less often reported. This more frequently happens when lightning strikes near your home. When this occurs your home may get hit by an "induced“ surge which frequently trips circuit breakers, especially freezers and door openers in your garage but depending on the intensity can damage your HVAC system, inside and out, all your appliances, electronic equipment, pool and spa equipment, etc.. Surge protection is a layered system. There is a surge protector you can purchase or rent from your electric company mounted on the electrical meter as discussed here in this thread, which will protect you against surges coming in from the power lines. This happens statistically 20% of the time. Everyone is correct, the electric company has a sophisticated surge and grounding system to protect from this type of event and because most power surges don't come into your home from the utility, many who have this device still report surge damage in their home and the surge protector at the meter shows no sign of a surge. In addition to the surge protector at your electrical meter you can install what is called a "whole house surge protector". There are many but the Eaton Ultra is one of the more affordable and effective ones that's commonly installed by most electrical companies such as Pikes and Lenhart. This surge protector is mounted at your electrical circuit breaker box. Because it’s located at the breaker box the other 80% of the power surges you can get such as at the outside HVAC unit, pool, spa, outside lighting, etc., will be shunted by this device at the circuit breaker box and reduce and or eliminate the surge from spreading to the rest of the circuits in your home. Because surges are so fast, the surge protector has to be as close to the source as possible to be effective. The surge protector mounted on the electrical meter can help, but it's not designed to shunt these other types of induced surges. Its sole purpose is to reduce large surges coming from the power lines or surges induced into the power lines coming to your home so the rest of the surge protectors in your home can handle the level of the surge that remains. It can also shunt power surges origination from the rest of your electrical system but not to a low enough level for total protection. This is why their warranty doesn't cover any device with an electronic board. The "whole house" surge protector mounted in your circuit breaker box will protect your appliances, washer dryer and all other devices that are hard wired such as the HVAC air handler and your electric hot water heater because it's designed to shunt surges to either eliminate them or shunt them to a low enough level that your devices or other surge protection can handle the surge. The final protection are the surge protection power strips, plug-in or point of use surge protectors which you install at your TVs, computers and any other sensitive electrical equipment. These devices will shunt and protect your equipment form any remaining surges that get through your meter or whole house surge protector. If you want to go further you can install point of use surge protector outlets or plug-in protectors for your microwave, dishwasher, garage door openers, etc. and or hard-wired surge protectors at you outside HVAC unit, pool and spa equipment.

To summarize, Surge Protection is a layered system. You want to install surge protectors to reduce and or eliminate the power surge so by the time an initally large surge reaches your home devices it's small enough for the point of use surge protector to handle it. Damage from power surges is covered in your homeowner’s insurance but you still have to pay the deductible and deal with replacing all the damaged devices. We live in the lightning capital of the USA so investing in surge protection is probably a wise investment but like insurance, it depends on your tolerance to risk. I can tell you personally, there are many homeowners who experience an induced power surge from lightning strikes and loose all their electronic devices and never talk about it meaning it happens more frequently here in the Villages than you would expect. Most of us have at least $1,000 deductible on our homeowner’s insurance which more than pays for the surge protection I discussed here in this response. At the end of the day, you need to look at what it will cost to install a surge protection system, at a minimum installing something like the Eaton surge protector in your circuit breaker panel and point of use surge protectors at your TV, computer and other sensitive devices, vs your tolerance for risk. Remember, even though your insurance will cover devices destroyed by power surges in your home, you will have the inconvenience of dealing with the insurance company, having to replace everything that was destroyed and probably get an increase in your insurance premium at your next renewal.

I hope my response gives enough information so those reading can make an informed decision when it comes to lightning and surge protection.
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. Much appreciated!
Old 05-24-2024, 06:57 AM

We live in the lightning capital of the world but it's relatively rare. My neighbors house did get hit & his insurance replaced everything. (I have one on my house, installed by the original owner.

Tags
house, suppressor, electrical, surge, seco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.