Why do people walk their dogs at the mailboxes?????

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Just curious - why does everyone talk about just poop? I see dozens of dogs who urinate on other people's lawns. This leaves a small yellow stain on their grass. I can understand why owners of houses on a large non-neighborhood street (think Bailey or St. Charles) get upset over the 'curb your dog' thing. They have dozens and dozens of dogs walk past their property every day.

I don't own a dog or cat but I would never let them 'go' on someone else's property or shared property like the mailbox area. But I see it every day and I just don't get it.
I think you don't get it BECAUSE you don't have a dog. It's never our intention for our dogs to pee on another's property...they just go when they're out..not our choice, just Mother Nature.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
whew, thank you all. I think I may be overly sensitive because in my job I interact with a lot of people "our" age and older who are miserable and take it out on those of us who service them. The negativity is not only depressing but is affecting my health. It is one of the reason's I'm running numbers to see if I can retire next May. I had heard that people in TV worked hard all their lives, like I have, and now want to enjoy themselves, as I do, and are generally positive people and don't blow up over ever perceived slight or inconvenience. Am I being too Pollyannish?
I agree with pooh that your not being Pollyannish at all! I hope your numbers work out for you.

I was in a stressful job working with the public and I'll tell you, I couldn't wait to get away from it. Towards the end it was getting very difficult not to give it back to the nastys that I had to deal with. That was 10 years ago and I retired ASAP when reaching our retirement age. I haven't looked back and I haven't regretted it... not for a nano-second!

So, in light of what you're dealing with currently, TV should be a walk in the park for you. I know it was for me!
The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Location: natives of La Porte, IN, moved here from central IN to Santiago via Country Club Hills

ditto shrandell, my collie DeeDee practically poops on command, in our yard of course, before we set out for a nice stroll to the mail center. She looks forward to it and the distance is perfect for her hip displasia. Have you noticed, the mail center grass doesn't seem any worse for "wear".
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I am just as outraged as anyone else if I find other dogs droppings in my yard. I would never do that. However, I'm amazed at the concern about pee. My dogs do the most before they leave our yard on our walks but like to smell where other dogs are and deposit a drop. Even my current neighbor who prizes his lawn above all things doesn't get upset if he sees one of them lift a leg because he knows the amount is minimal and won't harm it.
Quote:
I think you don't get it BECAUSE you don't have a dog. It's never our intention for our dogs to pee on another's property...they just go when they're out..not our choice, just Mother Nature.
Not your choice? You're kidding right? Are you telling us you cant control your animal? You're amazed at the concern?

Im SHOCKED that you believe it's ok for your dog to do his/her business on somebody's lawn.

It is NEVER under any circumstance ok for you or your dog to do your business on my lawn.

CURB YOUR DOGS
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Never Mentioned Health Issues

Deleted by poster, reposted.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Never Even Mentioned Health Issues

Consider these facts next time you see a dog in a shopping basket at Lowe's and even worse at Wal Mart's where people put their groceries. NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE SHOPPING CART HANDLES ANYMORE..

“A single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria” (Van Der Wel, B. 1995. Dog pollution. The Magazine of the Hydrological Society of South Australia 2(1).) Dogs can be a significant host of giardia and salmonella. (Lim and Olivieri, 1982). Further sourced from the University of Texas, 2001.

Facts About the Dangers of Dog Poop
Dog poop is a problem we deal with on a daily basis. But is it dangerous? How much do you know? Is pet waste a health hazard?

Here are the dangerous facts:

1. Dog poop is NOT good fertilizer. It's toxic to your lawn! The high nutrient concentration in dog poop will burn and discolor the grass, creating "hot spots".

2. Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.

3. You may not live near water, but unscooped poop from your yard is carried by overland water flow or is washed into storm drains, ending up in far away streams, rivers and ground water.

4. The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms pet waste can spread parasites including hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella. When infected dog poop comes into contact with your lawn, the poop will eventually "disappear", but the parasite eggs can linger for years! When a human or animal comes into contact with that soil through everyday activities like walking barefoot, gardening or playing, they risk infection from those eggs ... even years after the poop is gone.

5. Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including fecal coliform bacteria, which causes serious kidney disorders, intestinal illness, cramps and diarrhea in humans. (There are 23 million fecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste!)

6. Dog poop often contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness. If a human ingests a roundworm larva, it can migrate through the body causing disease to the brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes. So when people (especially children) touch soil, dog toys or anything that has been in contact with dog feces and then touch their mouths, they can become infected.

Dog poop doesn't just "wash away" or disappear. So if you're not disposing of your dog's waste, you're putting yourself, your family, your dog and your water supply at risk.
Posted byJoanne Osbandat6:24 PM
Labels:dog,dog feces,dog poop,dogs,pet waste
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM

I walk my dog at least 3 times a day and once a day he jumps on the golf cart to go to the mail station. He loves to walk around and as some one else said "read all the pee mails" and yeah he sends a few himself. If he poops, I bag it and yes I bring it home. We meet and greet people at the mail station daily and we will continue to go there. I am sorry if offends some, but I doubt very seriously that any of you are walking the back perimeters toward the hedges. If you see us there I will smile and wave...but you can be sure we will be there. I am blessed to live in a neighborhood where everyone loves my little dog, he visits everyone and even my "master gardner" next door neighbor has never complained if my dog has peed on a bush or anyplace in his yard. I am sure that there has to be more important topics than dog poop!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Consider these facts next time you see a dog in a shopping basket at Lowe's and even worse at Wal Mart's where people put their groceries. NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE SHOPPING CART HANDLES ANYMORE..

“A single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria” (Van Der Wel, B. 1995. Dog pollution. The Magazine of the Hydrological Society of South Australia 2(1).) Dogs can be a significant host of giardia and salmonella. (Lim and Olivieri, 1982). Further sourced from the University of Texas, 2001.

Facts About the Dangers of Dog Poop
Dog poop is a problem we deal with on a daily basis. But is it dangerous? How much do you know? Is pet waste a health hazard?

Here are the dangerous facts:

1. Dog poop is NOT good fertilizer. It's toxic to your lawn! The high nutrient concentration in dog poop will burn and discolor the grass, creating "hot spots".

2. Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.

3. You may not live near water, but unscooped poop from your yard is carried by overland water flow or is washed into storm drains, ending up in far away streams, rivers and ground water.

4. The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms pet waste can spread parasites including hookworms, ringworms, tapeworms and Salmonella. When infected dog poop comes into contact with your lawn, the poop will eventually "disappear", but the parasite eggs can linger for years! When a human or animal comes into contact with that soil through everyday activities like walking barefoot, gardening or playing, they risk infection from those eggs ... even years after the poop is gone.

5. Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including fecal coliform bacteria, which causes serious kidney disorders, intestinal illness, cramps and diarrhea in humans. (There are 23 million fecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste!)

6. Dog poop often contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness. If a human ingests a roundworm larva, it can migrate through the body causing disease to the brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes. So when people (especially children) touch soil, dog toys or anything that has been in contact with dog feces and then touch their mouths, they can become infected.

Dog poop doesn't just "wash away" or disappear. So if you're not disposing of your dog's waste, you're putting yourself, your family, your dog and your water supply at risk.
Posted byJoanne Osbandat6:24 PM
Labels:dog,dog feces,dog poop,dogs,pet waste
Oh please, the dogs here have better care than most children, they are not wormy or diseased. They are better groomed than their owners.

DON'T SEE TOO MANY POOCHES WALKING AROUND WITH A CAL'S $15 HAIRCUT.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Facts or Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
Oh please, the dogs here have better care than most children, they are not wormy or diseased. They are better groomed than their owners.

DON'T SEE TOO MANY POOCHES WALKING AROUND WITH A CAL'S $15 HAIRCUT.
Guess there are facts to prove that somewhere, don't put much stock in opinions?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Guess there are facts to prove that somewhere?
DUH? Haven't seen an outbreak here, have you?

Just look at the line at Cal's.

I REST MY CASE

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Outbreak

Quote:
DUH? Haven't seen an outbreak here, have you?
We would never know about it here if there was an outbreak.... I posted the facts from an outside source. Each person can make their own opinion, they are the facts.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
I walk my dog at least 3 times a day and once a day he jumps on the golf cart to go to the mail station. He loves to walk around and as some one else said "read all the pee mails" and yeah he sends a few himself. If he poops, I bag it and yes I bring it home. We meet and greet people at the mail station daily and we will continue to go there. I am sorry if offends some, but I doubt very seriously that any of you are walking the back perimeters toward the hedges. If you see us there I will smile and wave...but you can be sure we will be there. I am blessed to live in a neighborhood where everyone loves my little dog, he visits everyone and even my "master gardner" next door neighbor has never complained if my dog has peed on a bush or anyplace in his yard. I am sure that there has to be more important topics than dog poop!
Your master gardener next door neighbor is most likely just too polite to say anything, but trust me, he DOES NOT like seeing your pooch pee on any of his plants or bushes. And if you allow your dog, it will only invite other dogs to mark his plants, too. I love our little tail waggers as much as anyone, but I don't landscape my yard for the neighborhood dogs to poop & pee in. My advice would be....just be a good, polite neighbor in return, and make every effort to not allow your dog to use his yard in that way. He'll really appreciate it, I'm sure.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
I am equally blessed.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Veteran member
Default Refer to Moderator

Quote:
And another WINDOW LICKER weighs in.
I am refering this to the moderator for their action, apparently the facts are not important. Believe me I can stick with you if we wanted to get into name calling.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM
TOTV Moderator

And another dog poop thread gets personal and nasty.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.