Why do some roundabouts have these markings?

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
So, it's ok for me to follow the red line which places me at the resident gate even though I switch lanes in the roundabout..
I believe the correct procedure, as indicated on the signs, is to enter the inside lane and stay there until your exit if you are going 3/4 or all the way around. I noticed something interesting in that picture though. There is no access on the side opposite Hillsborough, therefore there are no dashed lines between the inside and outside lanes entering BV south. This is because traffic in the outside lane would have entered from BV and has made it halfway around so should not continue towards the Hillsborough exit. Yet, there are two lanes there, so maybe what you're doing is acceptable. Still, watch out for cars in the outside lane even if they're not supposed to be there.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
There are a few roundabouts that have the inner lane marked with yellow lines in some areas seemingly to guide traffic out of the inner lane. Something like the attached picture. This doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone know the reasoning?
The picture with the hatched area inked in, is wrong.
No hatched areas would appear on a roundabout with a two lane exit off of it..
The photos are correct as each lane is hatched into a single lane as the next exit road is a single lane.
Using the correct lane discipline all should flow without any having to change lane.
Study the photo and it is very simple.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
So, it's ok for me to follow the red line which places me at the resident gate even though I switch lanes in the roundabout. Note that I am not crossing any marked lanes in the roundabout as I am going south on Buena Vista to then enter the Hillsborough gate. Several times cars in the right hand lane are also trying to make a left hand turn as the arrows when approaching the roundabout are indicating straight for both lanes.
No.
At the junction you have shown, you should have stayed in, and exited from that inside lane.
The exit was a two lane road.
You can change lane to the lane of your choice after exiting roundabout
Old 08-15-2022, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Looks like the striped area is called a " "Channelization Island."
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3DF3BA86-7B9C-4BDF-8DD7-4F8FF8D01F12.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	94740  
Old 08-15-2022, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
No such animal as a left turn from a roundabout.
Except the entire roundabout is one big left turn.

But if I’m going north on Morse and want to go left onto Hillsborough then I had better use the left lane. On the other hand, if I want to keep straight on Morse then I can use either lane. The sawing of the wheel to avoid the grassy area doesn’t change the fact that when I’m finally on Hillsborough I am at a compass direction of 270 degrees from my original direction (a left turn).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-15-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The picture with the hatched area inked in, is wrong.
No hatched areas would appear on a roundabout with a two lane exit off of it..
The photos are correct as each lane is hatched into a single lane as the next exit road is a single lane.
I know it's a pain to read through the whole thread, but the single lane exit answer was offered long ago. Thanks.

Last edited by djlnc; 08-15-2022 at 02:59 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-15-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
OK, I see the one lane exit is the answer. Still, it seems like a clumsy way of doing this. Would it not be better to have a solid yellow line between the two lanes at these areas, with arrows pointing straight on the inside lane, indicating you can't make the right turn from the inner lane? Forcing one lane inside the roundabout seems like a dangerous move.
If a car wants to make a turn on the 3rd exit on the roundabout, they are supposed to stay in the left lane until they clear the 2nd exit, then immediately get in the right lane to turn. This is for a scenio that isn't pictured, but quite common, especially when exiting to a one lane exit.
Anyone entering a roundabout should watch what the traffic that is already in the roundabout is doing, no matter the markings, before entering!
Old 08-15-2022, 03:29 PM

I just noticed that the bottom Google Earth photo shows that the inside lane has only left markers. Does this mean that one you enter this lane you can't leave it? You just keep going round and round and round! 🤪
Seriously, you should look at the green signs before entering
the roundabout and only changes lanes within the roundabout when there are dotted line.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

To create confusion so that when you get into an accident, you can call Dan Newlin, Morgan and Morgan, name your attorney to represent you if you are injured. Roundabouts are a cluster .... in TV and very confusing. Full disclosure, I would rather have them than traffic lights or stop signs.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
To create confusion so that when you get into an accident, you can call Dan Newlin, Morgan and Morgan, name your attorney to represent you if you are injured. Roundabouts are a cluster .... in TV and very confusing. Full disclosure, I would rather have them than traffic lights or stop signs.
Posted above note before reading all of the other posts. After trying to read thesee comments only re inforced my opinion that the roundabouts are a cluster(you know what)

Also when working I investigated auto accidents for insurance companies. Bet there is a lot of he said/she said arguments.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
I know it's a pain to read through the whole thread, but the single lane exit answer was offered long ago. Thanks.
I did read the thread and as so many answers regarding the single lane exit were wrong, and some pure speculation.
That is why I posted.
I reckon something like 80+% haven't a clue as to the correct procedure in a roundabout.
It's a just a junction and the same disciplines apply as for any two lane highway.
So simple!
Old 08-15-2022, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I did read the thread and as so many answers regarding the single lane exit were wrong, and some pure speculation.
That is why I posted.
I reckon something like 80+% haven't a clue as to the correct procedure in a roundabout.
It's a just a junction and the same disciplines apply as for any two lane highway.
So simple!
Or simply put READ THE SIGN.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymom View Post
If a car wants to make a turn on the 3rd exit on the roundabout, they are supposed to stay in the left lane until they clear the 2nd exit, then immediately get in the right lane to turn. This is for a scenio that isn't pictured, but quite common, especially when exiting to a one lane exit.
Anyone entering a roundabout should watch what the traffic that is already in the roundabout is doing, no matter the markings, before entering!
NO! This will cause an accident!

If you are going to take the third exit then enter on the inside lane, stay in that lane until the third exit, then exit into the left lane of the road you are turning onto.

If the road at the third exit has only a single lane then there ought to be markings in the roundabout to direct you to the single lane that exits onto that road.

In the case where there is a single-lane exit but no markings (Hillsborough across Morse onto Moyer Loop) then you should have seen the correct pattern on the green sign before entering the roundabout.

As many have posted before, pay attention to the green signs -- they are there for a reason!

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-15-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
NO! This will cause an accident!

If you are going to take the third exit then enter on the inside lane, stay in that lane until the third exit, then exit into the left lane of the road you are turning onto.

If the road at the third exit has only a single lane then there ought to be markings in the roundabout to direct you to the single lane that exits onto that road.

In the case where there is a single-lane exit but no markings (Hillsborough across Morse onto Moyer Loop) then you should have seen the correct pattern on the green sign before entering the roundabout.

As many have posted before, pay attention to the green signs -- they are there for a reason!
Good answer - I would add that when exiting into the left lane of the road you're turning into, beware of anyone in the outside lane who wants to T-bone you.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:40 AM

I think it is a place to pull into when you get real confused going round and round too many times. What we call in the northeast a "breakdown lane".
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, roundabouts, attached, picture, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.