Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

It's funny/sad all the whining after-the-fact. The budget process and information was available to the public months prior to the vote and raising of the property taxes. If you are so upset about the tax increase and the funding of certain project........where were you during the process ALL MOST A YEAR AGO???? You decided not to be involved.

Blame yourself if you are not happy.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:52 AM

The developer had a vision about forty years ago and has struck to that vision and improved it along the way. Show me one other developer with the same foresight. As a business, that foresight must make a profit. Please stop with the political theatrics on the 24% tax increase. If you checked into it, the taxes basically remained the same for 7 + years, and remain less than most nicely developed areas in the country. Places like Sun City Center wish that their developer was like ours instead of Del Webb. So many places in the US are run by politicians that don’t have the foresight and stick to it that we have, and most of those places are bankrupt or have taxes multiple times higher than we have. You moved here for what was built and provided by the developer (including low taxes). You said you owned a multi million dollar company.....did you run it or did you let the people in your community run it?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:00 AM

The cost to live in TV isn’t as affordable as its advertised. It’s definitely getting more for the wealthy. A 350K (1856 sq ft) house in Fenny comes with a $7000 tax and bond bill. The Morse family have the wealth to live happier ever after. Mr. Schwartz dream is quietly slipping away.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
OP I think some people either don't understand, or have chosen to approve, the double-dipping, cronyism, and political quagmire going on.

Nope. I completely undestand. And, I have chosen to form my opinion based upon my own understanding of the facts.

Those with weak arguments resort to insult.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelinda91 View Post
The cost to live in TV isn’t as affordable as its advertised. It’s definitely getting more for the wealthy. A 350K (1856 sq ft) house in Fenny comes with a $7000 tax and bond bill. The Morse family have the wealth to live happier ever after. Mr. Schwartz dream is quietly slipping away.
Mr. Schwartz dream of selling property to retiring persons is alive and much larger than he could have ever envisioned. Imagine the pride you would feel if you son took over your business and expanding it over and over again.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 AM

The interesting thing is several of these commissioners are fello villagers.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelinda91 View Post
A 350K (1856 sq ft) house in Fenny comes with a $7000 tax and bond bill.
If you pay off your bond, your taxes will be less than ours were in Virginia, which is not a high-tax state compared to most others.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Default Interesting take

Sounds like a campaign rant to me. Are you running for a County Commission Seat?
Every community I have lived in we all paid for these improvements. And, good for the Morses. They have earned every penny they make and have provided us with a wonderful lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
You may not know but here are a few facts that will disgust you!

1. Sumter County Commissioners signed a 30 year contract in July 2018 with The Villages rich developers whereas we taxpayers will pay for roads and drainage infrastructure within land owned by the developers. The Villages gets to select the construction company, Rainey Construction, to design and build roads and drainage with ZERO competitor bids. The developers submit invoices for this design & construction cost plus 3% management fees to Sumter County. The owner of Rainey and the Morse Family are business partners in a large hunting lodge in Montana!

2. The Sumter County Commissioners also voted for a 25% tax increase so that us the taxpayers will eat the cost for The Villages developers!

3. In return of this 30 year contract The Villagers developers agree to build a 4th town center in Sumter County...no target date was set for this new town center so they have up to 30 years to build it.

4. The Sumter County Commissioners also agreed to pay for infrastructure roads and drainage for a new Developers business park to be located on I-75...this is your taxpayers money to assist the ultra rich developers!

5. Did you know that the Morse Family is the second richest family in Florida. The owner of Carnival Corporation is the richest.

6. The only way to stop this madness is to vote the current Sumter County Commissioners out in November who do not have your interest in mind!
Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower33 View Post
The interesting thing is several of these commissioners are fello villagers.
How so? Population of Sumter Co., 128,754. Population of the Sumter portion of TV, at least half that. Would expect even more Villagers on the commission
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 AM
Veteran member
Default Why the attack? I appreciated the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
1. So what???? Please show me a locality where the taxpayers do not pay for roads and infrastructure owned by the county. And what does a jointly owned hunting lodge have to do with anything, except maybe jealousy of their success

2. So how did you think the county was going to pay for all the new infrastructure?

3. I'm not sure a 4th town square was a quid pro quo in this deal, but again so what. Isn't it benefit to those newly developed areas south of route 44?

4. Business Parks and commercial developments add to the tax base. Again, you are hooked up on the concept of the "ultra rich"

5. So the Morse family is rich. So what? They were successful developers with a great concept that has earned them a great deal of money. That's what they do. They DON"T OWE YOU ANYTHING. Better yet, why don't you put the time and effort into developing an even better community than The Villages and you too could be a billionaire

6. This just sounds like more class warfare babbling. Apparently you object to the county making deals that will improve infrastructure and bring new business to Sumter because they are making the deals with the "ultra rich". Here's a news flash---people receiving social services are not going to build an industrial park, or a shopping center, or the next Villages. Or would you be happier if the county raised taxes to give it away to "the poor".
Seriously, you do not see a problem with county officials signing off on a 30-year no bid deal where the developer is in full control? That's one bad deal for taxpayers.

As to your "increasing the tax base" argument, my life's experience tells me that is totally bogus. It's like a dog chasing it's tail. New development means costs for new roads, new water supplies, new sewers, new schools, etc. I have lived in other fast growing communities and I have NEVER seen my taxes go down as a result of that fast growth.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
Seriously, you do not see a problem with county officials signing off on a 30-year no bid deal where the developer is in full control? That's one bad deal for taxpayers.

As to your "increasing the tax base" argument, my life's experience tells me that is totally bogus. It's like a dog chasing it's tail. New development means costs for new roads, new water supplies, new sewers, new schools, etc. I have lived in other fast growing communities and I have NEVER seen my taxes go down as a result of that fast growth.
Seriously, no. Politics is politics and wherever you go, there is someone in charge behind the scenes. It's just more obvious in TV

And as far as your bogus life experience goes (oops, got that backwards, Freudian slip), just go to a few posts ago and you'll see that taxes went down, right here in River City.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Default Civility lacking by some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenail444 View Post
The individual was very civil, what is your problem?
I agree the OP was very civil with his opinion. But, some people think too highly of themselves.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
You may not know but here are a few facts that will disgust you!

1. Sumter County Commissioners signed a 30 year contract in July 2018 with The Villages rich developers whereas we taxpayers will pay for roads and drainage infrastructure within land owned by the developers. The Villages gets to select the construction company, Rainey Construction, to design and build roads and drainage with ZERO competitor bids. The developers submit invoices for this design & construction cost plus 3% management fees to Sumter County. The owner of Rainey and the Morse Family are business partners in a large hunting lodge in Montana!

2. The Sumter County Commissioners also voted for a 25% tax increase so that us the taxpayers will eat the cost for The Villages developers!

3. In return of this 30 year contract The Villagers developers agree to build a 4th town center in Sumter County...no target date was set for this new town center so they have up to 30 years to build it.

4. The Sumter County Commissioners also agreed to pay for infrastructure roads and drainage for a new Developers business park to be located on I-75...this is your taxpayers money to assist the ultra rich developers!

5. Did you know that the Morse Family is the second richest family in Florida. The owner of Carnival Corporation is the richest.

6. The only way to stop this madness is to vote the current Sumter County Commissioners out in November who do not have your interest in mind!
I do not agree with your post.

I have lived here for better than a dozen years and have observed the way the Morse family maintain and support the community. Yes, the Morse family are both successful and rich. That does not mean they are greedy or unprincipled.

I believe this "campaign" is to get a group of political people in power that I do not support. Many on this thread have agreed with me and many are trustworthy and long term posters who have excellent antennae, and better yet, common sense.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
I agree the OP was very civil with his opinion. But, some people think too highly of themselves.
I don't see the total "civility" in implying the developers make shady deals at the taxpayers expense and get away with it because they are "ultra rich" and hang out with other "ultra rich" people. I'm also confused by the OP's position that he made millions running his business, but has an objection to the developers making millions running their business. It just sounds a bit disingenuous to me, IMHO.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM

You should send this to major newspapers in Florida ... and to the US Attorney for this district. They can determine the legitimacy of these statements.

Last edited by WindyCityzen; 02-06-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Clarification
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.