Comcast vs Embarq

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Comcast vs Embarq

I am getting utilities set up for new home and wonder if anyone has an opinion on these two companies. As I will be a snowbird for a while, Embarq had an interesting offer. They will set me up with phone full service, $30, dish TV, $25 and high speed internet for $25 of 1.5 MB or for all 3 about $80 a month. Now as a snowbird they say when I am not there, call and put on vacation mode and the cost for phone drops to $8, internet to $0 and dish stays the same for 2 years before they will accept vacation mode. That drops the cost to $33 a month. You can turn off and on as many times as you want for a month at a time. Best option using Comcast is the very basic cable for $11, local channels only. Internet for $25 for 3 months and $43 after that or a total of $54. They don't let you set up vacation options. For phone with them I would use Magic Jack.

Has anyone done the Embarq option and used the vacation option? If so does it work as they say? How satisfied are you with the service? Any other ideas for these services? Thanks for your kind advice as always.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Default Re: Comcast vs Embarq

I use embarq and I tried the "vacation mode" for the first time this year. My basic phone bill runs about $15.55 every month but with taxes and surcharge the monthly bill is about $26.18 (with no toll charges). Since switching to the "vacation mode", the bill has dropped to $7.78 for the basic charge, but with taxes and surcharges, it becomes about $17.72 a month. A difference of about $8.00 a month. However, they charge $10.00 to change it back from "vacation mode" to "regular service". According to the fine print on the back of my bill, it states that: This is a special promotional rate until Jan. 31, 2008; then they will charge $30 to switch it back. Also, it can only be on vacation mode up to 6 months...or they will automatically revert it back to full billing. I am trying it for now,but it seems like a lot of trouble, to save so little.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Thanks, I thought it sounded to good. Guess I will go with the comcast basic option.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 AM
mcelheny

I use Embarq for my phone and wireless connection. I had Comcast and find Embarq has much better service. They have been true to their word and my bill is $20 a month less than Comcast. I live here, so never turned off my services, but I really like Embarq.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 AM

We wanted to get the phone, TV and internet combo also. Unfortunately, Comcast doesn't have phone in this area and with embarq, the dish goes out a lot due to the frequent wind and thunderstorms.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Can you get the YES network on either of both of these systems?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Sage

This is another reason I have basic cable in addition to Dish. This area seems prone to some prodigious storms. The Dish goes out in heavy rain. I like cable in addition to my weather radio as an early warning system for tornadoes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim
We wanted to get the phone, TV and internet combo also. Unfortunately, Comcast doesn't have phone in this area and with embarq, the dish goes out a lot due to the frequent wind and thunderstorms.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default No YES On DirecTV

I checked my DirecTV channel lineup and didn't find the YES network.

Embarq's internet service (DSL) is quite a bit slower than the cable-based internet service provided by Comcast. DirecTV has considerably better TV offerings than Comcast. I was told that an interrupted signal from the satellite was a problem here when using a dish. My experience is that we had more such service interruptions "up north" (Chicago suburbs) than we've experienced here with DirecTV. DirecTV is now offering "On Demand", which Comcast offers in other parts of the country, but not here because of antiquated underground cabling and inadequate head-end computers.

You'll have to tear my DirecTV remote from my cold, dead hand. I've also had good service and results with the Comcast broadband service. I use Embarq for landline phone and Verizon Wireless for our cell phones.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 PM

I have the Embarq package consisting of phone service with all of the options (caller ID, etc.), Unlimited Long Distance and DSL. I pay about $78.50 per month (including taxes). I have had this for 2 years and am happy with Embarq. I am happy with DSL, yes I know that Comcast is faster but you pay for that ( I pay 19.95 for DSL for as long as I have it) I have comcast cable TV (Basic, Digital and High Definition) and pay $80.00 per month. I'm getting ready to go to Direct TV. I had Direct TV for 9 years while living in the Mountains of Virginia. Yea, you lose the picture in heavy rain but you get so much more. You get many more channels of High Definition than comcast. Cable TV does not have the bandwidth that Direct TV and The Dish Network have.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Default Re: No YES On DirecTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
DirecTV is now offering "On Demand", which Comcast offers in other parts of the country, but not here because of antiquated underground cabling and inadequate head-end computers.
Comcast actually does have their On Demand service here with many free movies and shows.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Veteran member

ok, since i have never heard anyone mention it anywhere on this board, I am going to. I know I am a youngster in my 40s, but do you guys really have LAND LINES? Me and the Mrs gave up our landline in 2000 - we have cell phones. It does not matter where you are. I would think that would be the ultimate for snowbirds - just have your cellphones and don't pay ANYTHING for landlines either up North or Down south. That way, all your friends from either place can always get hold of you.

You can get a national account that works anywhere.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM

I use comcast for cable & Hi-speed Internet and found Vonage very easy to use with the first 2 months free @ $ 24.95. It just hooks up to the comcast modem with a adapter they send you for a small fee. I went wireless so I can use my laptop anywhere in the house. It costs me $75.00 delivered from Best-buys.

A friend of mine had embarq and had mucho problemo with his hi-speed always going out.

Also if you are a seasonal resident Vonage will keep your account active for $5.00 a month.

As for Comcast just terminate and keep the devices. They will only bill you for the rental of those items such as a modem, DVR or a digital cable box. About $20.00 per month.

When you return they will charge a fee to turn all back on.

So for me $25.00 a month is my way of going vs $50.00 from Embarq.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:11 PM

I use Embarq's highest speed DSL and find it very fast, however it has to be reset (unplug and plug) once or twice a month.

I use VOIP for my phone service and find it as good as a landline. Much cheaper.

Jerry
(CM) Boston, Ma.
(JM)(CM)Boca Raton, FL.
(CM/JM)TV-Largo(CM/JM)
Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 PM

How does the cost comare for high speed internet - Comcast vs. Embarq?

ITA,

John
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.