Why are flags not lowered to half mast?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Default Why are flags not lowered to half mast?

As a mark of solemn respect for the victims of the mass shooting at The Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, our President has called for flags to fly at half mast until sunset on Wednesday, October 31.

Accordingly, flags have been lowered at all Villages Rec centers. I have lowered the one on my flag pole ... but I am not sure why so many Villagers have ignored this request.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
As a mark of solemn respect for the victims of the mass shooting at The Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, our President has called for flags to fly at half mast until sunset on Wednesday, October 31.

Accordingly, flags have been lowered at all Villages Rec centers. I have lowered the one on my flag pole ... but I am not sure why so many Villagers have ignored this request.
I don't know. I am sure they did not mean disrespect.

Did you get the bird poop off of your birdcage?
Old 10-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Here's a copy of the proclamation:

PROCLAMATION

As a mark of solemn respect for the victims of the terrible act of violence perpetrated at The Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on October 27, 2018, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, October 31, 2018. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this

twenty-seventh day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-third.

DONALD J. TRUMP

As you can see the proclamation doesn't actually pertain to individual flags, just those on public buildings, etc. I, for one always follow the proclamation for my flag. Since it can't be lowered, I place a black streamer on the flag as suggested by the American Legion (I believe).
Old 10-31-2018, 06:23 AM

It is at the Softball complex at Saddlebrook. Respect.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
It is at the Softball complex at Saddlebrook. Respect.
They are at the rec centers too.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

If one is not aware of the proclamation and does not have their flag lowered does not equate to disrespect.

I am one; I was not aware until reading this thread.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If one is not aware of the proclamation and does not have their flag lowered does not equate to disrespect.
I am one; I was not aware until reading this thread.
Hopeful2, how does a flag owner learn of these proclamations? Is there an official website or email list?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Access Denied

There are a lot of these.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:

Maybe the didn't see the order or watch TV 24/7? Villages not government entity.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:02 PM

Anyone who takes the time to fly the American flag is most likely expressing their patriotism and is very respectful of the American flag. To suggest that people not lowering to half-mast are "ignoring" the request seems misguided. As others have suggested, they probably just weren't aware of the presidential request to fly at half-mast. If it really bothers you, stop and let the folks know. They may appreciate it. Regardless, be thankful for those that are willing to express their belief in this great country.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM

My wife and I fly the flag proudly. Because I am disabled it takes two of us to raise and lower the flag pole which is what is needed to fly it at half mast. We mean no disrespect, but it is really problematic for us to change the flag's position on the pole with each call to do so. Unfortunately, these days there are entirely too many situations were we would need to do so. The American Legion has an alert email advisory service if anyone is interested. Go on line and sign up.
Closed Thread

Tags
lowered, flags, half, centers, rec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.