Why hop into the golf cart lane right in front of a golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
suicide by golf cart.
wow.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:02 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Death wish? Shaking my head!
Unfortunately there is just a certain percentage of the population that are blatantly stupid. It’s always been the case and it will always be the case. I guess the best we can do is help protect them from themselves. They’re never going to go away!
Old 05-30-2020, 07:14 AM

I see people walking on Fenney way in the street on the GOLF CART LANE quite often. Issue is, it's NOT a MMP, it's a golf cart lane. Fenney way has a very wide, very safe walking and biking sidewalk spanning the full length of the street that golf carts are not allowed on. Some places in TV do not have separate lanes for walkers and golf carts, Fenney way does. Blows my mind that some people walk where it's dangerous rather than where it's safe. And unfortunately, no doubt one day a driver won't be paying attention and someone will get hit.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

looks as if we'll have cams front & rear on the golf cart now
Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Plenty of roads in the north part of The Villages that don’t have sidewalks, so pedestrians legally use these “cart and bike” lanes
That is true----again, for the 100th time, I refer to FL statute 316.130 sec 3. Pedestrians may use a paved roadway IF no sidewalk is available. Both Odell and Moyer Loop have sidewalks, so these pedestrians were breaking the law.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Are they losing their minds?

Quote:
That is what happened to me today. A woman, walking along Odell Circle on the sidewalk, jumped smack dab into the center of the golf cart lane right in front of me in my golf cart and continued to walk. I was motoring along at 19.9 MPH and I was no more than 10 seconds away from slamming into this woman. I gave her a quick toot on the horn and she ignored the warning. I then LAID on the horn and slowed down my cart so I would not hit her. That is when she hopped right back on the side walk which is where she should have stayed in the first place.

Last Wednesday I was driving on the MMP through Turtle Mound next to the chipping/putting green and as I met a bicycle in the blind curve, here come the first idiot encounter of the day when a male numnuts in a cart passed the cycle on the curve and I had to drive up on the hillside to keep from getting hit.

5 minutes later, second idiot encounter; driving on the MMP alongside Buena Vista a female numnuts walking on the correct side facing opposite traffic, decides to wander over in front of me when I’m about 30’ feet away; I locked the brakes up and yelled for her to get out of the way. Her and her friend had this blank stare like they had no clue of what was going on.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Her and her friend had this blank stare like they had no clue of what was going on.

I've seen that face a couple of times.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:49 AM

If there is a sidewalk available, pedestrians should not be walking/running in the golf cart path! Period!! If the concern is being 6' apart then walk in a neighborhood and not on a main road.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That is true----again, for the 100th time, I refer to FL statute 316.130 sec 3. Pedestrians may use a paved roadway IF no sidewalk is available. Both Odell and Moyer Loop have sidewalks, so these pedestrians were breaking the law.
It’ll be ok. Take a deep breath. I never said they weren’t. I was addressing the fact that there are areas in The Villages where It is perfectly legal for a pedestrian to use the so called “Bike and Cart lane”

Last edited by photo1902; 05-30-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Be nice. Person walking in road is WRONG.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

We do not own a golf cart and we never walk on the sidewalks or MMPs, so I guess we don't have a dog in this fight.

Well, we did walk on a sidewalk once along Moyer, but it was not enjoyable because the golf carts were driving by so close. Never again.

My wife and I walk a LOT, but we do it at Lake Okahumpka or at some of the nice walking/biking trails in the new southern areas of The Villages. We try to do things that are safe.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Didn't anyone tell you that golf cars are invisible ? Only you can see it an people that you know. Cars, trucks, bikes, construction vehicles of any kind and walkers. No one sees you. Not even other golf cars unless you know the people in them. Your head must be on a swivel at all times.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 AM

Here’s a thought to ponder. When a newbie 12 years ago I was traveling by car on Bailey Trail. The car in front of me was making a left hand turn. I waited and waited, lots of on coming traffic. I looked to my right behind me and cart path was clear, SO I pulled around the car. There was a cruiser behind me and pulled me over. Asked how long I have been here, he explained that u can NEVER cross the white line into the cart path to pass someone. He only gave me a verbal because he saw me turn and look.
Question if a car can’t cross the white line, is it illegal for a cart to cross the line to pass. Obviously not making a left turn.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Of course what the woman did was foolish but perhaps we all should be a little more careful driving golf carts and treat them as if we were driving a car. If you were in a car, and there was a pedestrian close by you would take action to ensure that there was no issue. I’m wondering would’ve been that hard to substantially slow down or maybe even stop until you know it was clear? I’m certain for one thing, hitting your horn was probably the last thing you should’ve done.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

The sad part is the cart person probably would of been charge if she hit this person. The person driving the cart probably would been charge for not having control of their cart. Well at least nobody got hit. Interesting comment!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, golf, walk, woman, lane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.