Why I stopped playing golf

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The governor has issued a statewide stay at home order that is very specific concerning which businesses may stay open and which activities are permitted. This carries force of law and should be obeyed by all citizens.

Those people who go to the grocery store or pharmacy, and those people who go cycling, golfing, walking and fishing are FOLLOWING THE LAW---Get off their cases!

There appears to be a subset of Villagers who are separating themselves into some kind of uber-class coronavirus crusaders. They are EXCEEDING the requirements of the executive order by limiting their activity beyond the scope of the order, whether out of paranoia or ignorance, while some are going around and taking photos of their neighbors who might be violating the order.

It's perfectly fine to stay home, but it doesn't make you MORE law abiding, compassionate, caring and smarter than those that are also following the law. And it certainly doesn't entitle you to call those people idiots, selfish or entitled
With great respect, just because people are following the law does not mean they are safe, or that they aren't spreading this virus. Intelligent experts are telling us the only way to contain the spread is to STAY AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE. Just because our government leaders can't listen and order it, doesn't mean we, the people, should put ourselves and others at risk. THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS VIRUS IS TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodz View Post
Whoever replied to this post needs to face reality. A governor's order, particularly this one, does NOT give you free license to hide behind it. Stop your foolishness by saying you are now only obeying the law of the state, so you can still golf. How about stop being selfish and notably protect your life but the lives of anyone else that live in this community. Try staying away from golf for a couple of weeks, and expand your horizons into other endeavors.
Wow! Read my post again. Or is it obvious I am talking to a brick wall.

The governor did not make up the list of approved activities on his own, he went by the recommendations of public health experts (of which you are NOT one)

No one is "hiding" behind the order, we are FOLLOWING it.
So people following the order are "foolish" and "selfish"? Clearly, you are one of the self appointed uber-Villagers, no point in explaining to you, you've convinced yourself that your way is the only way and everyone else is an idiot. Good luck with that
Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
With great respect, just because people are following the law does not mean they are safe, or that they aren't spreading this virus. Intelligent experts are telling us the only way to contain the spread is to STAY AWAY FROM OTHER PEOPLE. Just because our government leaders can't listen and order it, doesn't mean we, the people, should put ourselves and others at risk. THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS VIRUS IS TO STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE!
And that is what people who participate in the list of approved activities are doing---social distancing---you DO NOT need to hide under your bed to stay away from people
Old 04-05-2020, 06:01 AM

The law makers are learning as they go just like we are. No one seems to really know how it is spreading, and what little rules they give us it keeps spreading like wildfire. Then they update us with more rules. If you want to believe them and not take extra precautions fine, but you are putting us all at risk. Are we panicking, of course we are , we would be fools not to do everything possible to avoid getting and passing this horrible virus. God bless you and keep you safe and well, as well as the rest of us.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
My husband had no trouble giving up his golf....our very active sex life on the other hand is a totally different issue. (Yeppers, we still enjoy intimate time with each other after almost 40 yrs together).
TMI, I think.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 AM

So many people with so much knowledge. No golf, then don’t go to a grocery store, don’t go for a cart ride, don’t walk down the street, don’t pump gas, don’t bike ride, don’t go to a doctors office, don’t receive packages, don’t pick up your mail, don’t breathe! Let’s face facts, we don’t really know how this disease is carried....by sneezing, by touch, by simply breathing. We don’t know how to treat, we can only treat the symptoms and wait to see if the body can fight it off.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:47 AM

That is a very sensible decision. Thank you for writing this. Many people still believe that we are living during a period of needless caution and hyper sensitivity to a problem that is being inflated by the press. I feel sorry for those people and because they are out there, my time out in the community is very limited. Stay safe everyone.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:56 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW
Default Blood on our hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Its so sad what life is like right now. I watch movies and see people kissing, hugging, touching, licking their fingers and I think nooooooo, then realize that was a different reality. Its so bizarre.

Chinese government has blood on their hands, hiding the severity of the outbreak until too late and 5 million people traveled out of Wuhan and spread this crap all over the world. I like Chinese people, but their predilection for filthy wet markets that are proven to breed viruses has got too stop, but it won't, they are already re opening them.
Our government also has blood on our hands. Every health organization and official warned that what was happening in China and then Italy, no matter who was responsible for the initial outbreak, was inevitably going to happen here and we needed to prepare immediately. Our government downplayed the situation and we didn’t prepare in time. Of all countries we could have prevented this pandemic from spreading in this country.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

For those of you that want to stay in the confinement’s of your own little world, by all means do so.

But, for those of us that still work out in the public (yes, I do even with a great retirement) and those of us that still play golf (and yes, I still can compete with the best of them), do not throw stones at us because this is the choice we are making.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 AM

Smart man.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Giving up golf is hard. But it is the right thing to do for your safety and mine. We need to minimize our time away from home. Golf is open not so much for our health but for their $$$. Please, stay at home as much as possible for the safety of all.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamello View Post
Thank you.

You can spin it anyway you want. But, IT ORIGINATED in CHINA like 90% of rest of viruses.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

If you want to play with just your wife, request a tee time and add two guests. You can do that a few days before you want to play. When tou get to the course tell the starter your guests cancelled. You will get “cancellation points”, but it won’t matter if you make reservations a couple days before you play.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodz View Post
Whoever replied to this post needs to face reality. A governor's order, particularly this one, does NOT give you free license to hide behind it. Stop your foolishness by saying you are now only obeying the law of the state, so you can still golf. How about stop being selfish and notably protect your life but the lives of anyone else that live in this community. Try staying away from golf for a couple of weeks, and expand your horizons into other endeavors.
I play golf almost every day and adhere to the six feet rule and all the other changes which have recently been made to make golf safer for everyone. Selfish? Maybe, but I do what it takes to maintain sanity and stay alive. I live alone and golf is my only socialization other than the telephone. I do have other hobbies (I'm currently writing a second novel) and am not bored at all but I do need to be outside and have some daily contact with others. It's very easy to be judgmental if you haven't walked a mile in someone else's shoes.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Exec courses are FREE.
Closed Thread

Tags
risk, virus, golf, low, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.