Why I think The Villages is so great.

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Why I think The Villages is so great.

I think the place we chose for these years of our lives is the best run place we have ever lived.

I like CLEAN. The streets and common areas are kept to a very high standard and it is not common to find trash just lying around.

I like well maintained. The homes and yards show me that most people who live here have pride in their homes and possessions and keep them painted and the lawns trimmed and all together it gives the appearance of people who are proud and happy to be here.

I love that in these years that I have time, I can use it here in The Villages to learn skills in areas not worked in before. I have so enjoyed color pencil painting, water color, acrylics, crafts, and ceramics. I have been a golfer for the last 45 years and the opportunity to play everyday if I want is here at far less the cost than in our previous life.

Many of our friends are much more athletic and I see them biking, playing pickleball and tennis and going to yoga, water aerobics and bone builders. (I tried bone builders and it isn't for sissies)

I love the beautiful recreation centers, each decorated with really fine furnishings and finishes. Not at all what anyone could expect or hope for, for an amenity fee of about $145 a month.

I suspect that the Morse family, now Mark Jennifer and Tracy, are still instilling the values of hard work, careful deals, and amazing planning into their children. They must also be teaching them to hire the expertise they don't have and to make the most of what they do have and not give things away. Always the basis of good business. Selling for market value and using your own sales force is good business, NOT greed.

Their business plan has earned them, and us, the title of living in the most sought after area for seniors in The United States.

I am very proud to live here and be a villager. I am proud of the Free Enterprise that is the basis of the business running this place.

I am proud of the overwhelming wisdom of most of the inhabitants of this place and the ethics of most of them that keep this place very low crime.

I am pleased with the law enforcement agencies that combine to protect and guard us.

I do not, have never, and do not plan to work for The Villages. I have NEVER met Mark, Tracy or Jennifer of the Morse family. I just love it here and think it is run well.

Enough with the P.M.s.

Have I forgotten some wonderful things about this amazing place? Please add them.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 AM

You are so right. I too love it here, for many of the same reasons you have cited. Golf, volunteering, water aerobics and friends make me enjoy living here, in a place with an atmosphere like no other. Here's to life in the "bubble".
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the place we chose for these years of our lives is the best run place we have ever lived.

I like CLEAN. The streets and common areas are kept to a very high standard and it is not common to find trash just lying around.

I like well maintained. The homes and yards show me that most people who live here have pride in their homes and possessions and keep them painted and the lawns trimmed and all together it gives the appearance of people who are proud and happy to be here.

I love that in these years that I have time, I can use it here in The Villages to learn skills in areas not worked in before. I have so enjoyed color pencil painting, water color, acrylics, crafts, and ceramics. I have been a golfer for the last 45 years and the opportunity to play everyday if I want is here at far less the cost than in our previous life.

Many of our friends are much more athletic and I see them biking, playing pickleball and tennis and going to yoga, water aerobics and bone builders. (I tried bone builders and it isn't for sissies)

I love the beautiful recreation centers, each decorated with really fine furnishings and finishes. Not at all what anyone could expect or hope for, for an amenity fee of about $145 a month.

I suspect that the Morse family, now Mark Jennifer and Tracy, are still instilling the values of hard work, careful deals, and amazing planning into their children. They must also be teaching them to hire the expertise they don't have and to make the most of what they do have and not give things away. Always the basis of good business. Selling for market value and using your own sales force is good business, NOT greed.

Their business plan has earned them, and us, the title of living in the most sought after area for seniors in The United States.

I am very proud to live here and be a villager. I am proud of the Free Enterprise that is the basis of the business running this place.

I am proud of the overwhelming wisdom of most of the inhabitants of this place and the ethics of most of them that keep this place very low crime.

I am pleased with the law enforcement agencies that combine to protect and guard us.

I do not, have never, and do not plan to work for The Villages. I have NEVER met Mark, Tracy or Jennifer of the Morse family. I just love it here and think it is run well.

Enough with the P.M.s.

Have I forgotten some wonderful things about this amazing place? Please add them.
Couldn't agree more, and I've been to 44 states and seen many other retirement communities.

How about the smarts to design golf courses to become retention basins when the rains came. The ponds turned into lakes and saved hundreds of homes, unlike other retirement communities. Such foresight!

Also, another plus for The Villages: GracieGirl.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

I agree with all of the above. But, you forgot to mention all the volunteer work of club leaders and activities organizers, all the wonderful sharing of the many musical and artistic talents of the residents in their performing groups, all of the program and class speakers and leaders for sharing their expertise and talents, etc., etc. They all contribute greatly in making a fully enriched Villages lifestyle.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post

Also, another plus for The Villages: GracieGirl.

You have my Second for that additional plus!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
You have my Second for that additional plus!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Gold member

Not only do I agree with you, but, when your grandchildren come down and want to swim, go to the squares, shop and ride in golf carts and stay here as a destination, you KNOW you made the right decision.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Couldn’t have said it better!!!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
I agree with all of the above. But, you forgot to mention all the volunteer work of club leaders and activities organizers, all the wonderful sharing of the many musical and artistic talents of the residents in their performing groups, all of the program and class speakers and leaders for sharing their expertise and talents, etc., etc. They all contribute greatly in making a fully enriched Villages lifestyle.
They do have thousands of volunteers all throughout the various communities in and around the Villages.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Great post. When I was growing up on a cotton/soybean farm in NE Arkansas, I never dreamed I'd be living in a place like this; kinda grows on you after a short time here.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 PM

Buffalo athletics. Our local HS is first class! If you've never been to a football game at The Range, it's like a small college in terms of stadium & facilities. Our kids are dedicated student/athletes, polite, and excel on & off the field by and large. The Buffalo Booster club meets every Thursday in the HS cafeteria at 1:15-2PM. Anyone can attend. A year's membership (not required to attend) is just $10. Great way to get a feel for the various sports, athletes, coaches, and volunteers. Two huge home football games remain this year--tomorrow night (F 10/13) 7 PM vs. Interlachen, and 10/27 vs. unbeaten Wildwood, our friendly neighbor. Featured tomorrow night: Chef John's famous meatball subs with marinara & parmesan. Concessions & gate opens 2 hours prior to kickoff. Makes for a great night out, fellow Villagers. Go, Buffalo!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 AM

100% dead on correct
Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I agree with 99% of what you state. I hate to be negative, but the one thing that puzzles me is that The Villages does everything so well except golf.

The golf courses are poorly designed, poorly constructed, poorly maintained and poorly managed.

You would think that a business that advertises "FREE" golf for life and promotes the fact that they have 600 holes of golf would do a better job with their golf courses.

Most people that I've discussed this with and have played golf for a while agree with this. People who started playing golf when they got here usually don't understand how much better everything could be with regards to golf.

Sorry, but that'smy opinion.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I agree with 99% of what you state. I hate to be negative, but the one thing that puzzles me is that The Villages does everything so well except golf.

The golf courses are poorly designed, poorly constructed, poorly maintained and poorly managed.

You would think that a business that advertises "FREE" golf for life and promotes the fact that they have 600 holes of golf would do a better job with their golf courses.

Most people that I've discussed this with and have played golf for a while agree with this. People who started playing golf when they got here usually don't understand how much better everything could be with regards to golf.

Sorry, but that'smy opinion.
Free Golf is an unusual situation to say the least. Many here have paid a LOT of money for golf in their lifetimes.

For free take. For buy complain.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Been under stress lately with elderly mom and other issues so when I walk out of my home and breathe the air it reminds me of the beauty and peace that is in The Villages.

For me it's the greatest group of gals we have established in our neighborhood. The main criteria of joining is that you can't have a perfect life....it's an inside joke.....I so love these women. We have come from all different parts of the country and are enjoying the last part of our lives.

My screen name says it all!

Thank you for the reminder and post GG!
Closed Thread

Tags
place, proud, love, years, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.