Why O why & Why O why???

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
An analytical post built on specifics and showing the poster's ability to apply critical thinking skills should not be interpreted as negative and should never insight name-calling and predictable, platitudinous, pseudo-sympathetic comments from other posters.

Thinkers gonna think for themselves. Too bad that bothers some and sends them down their well-worn path of name-calling and lame implications about someone's life and happiness. Ridiculous.

Why not come back with a well thought out opposing opinion of the actual situation, complete with backup. But that is not likely to happen. It is so much easier for some to dismiss and try to cover up anything that might be leading to discomfort if acknowledgment of a different way of thinking is getting too close.

But (sigh) the wagons are circling, as usual. The thought police are on patrol. Posts are being weaponized with boring and boorish clichéd comments to try to make those with differing opinions go away. The "Us vs. Them" posters are out and in formation.

The inability (or refusal) to try to understand shades of gray in levels of varying opinions ends up with the need to dismiss and mock in order to not have to tax one's own thinking. Turning the tone of a debate toxic comes so much easier than a well thought out rebuttal -- so there you have it. Textbook stuff on how not to debate.

And soon, the thread will close. (sigh)
This is one of the best posts Ive read that speaks volumes about where most posts end up...If u read post 116 ,117, 118 the comments make me want to say things that surely the moderator would not approve of. Its a shame opinions/views on the subject at hand, cant be taken with value and the name calling/smudge remarks could be refrained from.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Shbullet;1653564]This is one of the best posts Ive read that speaks volumes about where most posts end up...If u read post 116 ,117, 118 the comments make me want to say things that surely the moderator would not approve of. Its a shame all opinions/views cant be taken with some value and the name calling/smudge remarks could be refrained from.[/QUOTE

I, on the other hand liked posts 117 and 118 and feel they have much value. As Boomer sighs and says "It's a shame that all posters thoughts can't be valued" not just the ones that you agree with" or something akin to that anyway.

We hear a lot from some of the naysayers about the "clique". There are a number of people who have met others in person, one or several times by going to the meetings that Talk of the Villages had for years. Few of the people who are negative attended those gatherings.

Some of the posters who I have read for years and I would give my eye teeth to meet, I have sadly never met and way too many have passed away.

Life is so short and so precious. I don't know why anyone tries to be anything but happy with this day that is given to them.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My biggest fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
I mostly agree with you. However, I don't know anybody who feels the developers are perfect. I have never heard anyone say that. I think the issue is with people who see them as horrible, greedy, stupid, etc. I think those of us who are big supporters - myself included - disagree with some things they do. Small criticism are ok, condemnation is not really called for regarding people who provide such a beautiful community for us all to enjoy.
Read any of these threads. Imagine if the INMATES were running this place. Simple decisions, flowers (plants) to put at common ground. For a real battle, see previous threads-pets, noise, golf cart speeds, age, parties, garage sales, water use. Is this place perfect-NO. But, imagine if the INMATES were running it.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The owners of the homes completely ruined by the sinkhole passed their homes to a company that has tied up things. Most people in their eighties here well manage to take care of things and do not need pity.

And they are capable of moving and usually can so do if they wish.
I wonder if the owners in question who were forced to sell under extreme duress for pennies on the dollar to likely the only buyer available would blithely say they "passed their homes to a company". If I were in this grievous situation I would literally be in anguish, suffering significant financial loss and conceivably the death of my retirement dream.

I also wonder if a for-profit house flipping company ever sets out to 'tie things up'. Why would such an outfit do that at some financial cost to itself rather than rehab the houses and profitably resell them as quickly as possible? The tie up is due to the inaction to remediate the sinkhole by the powers that be, whoever and whatever they are.

Whether or not the homeowners "do not need pity" I truly pity them. If this happened to me I would be devastated. These 80+ year old folks likely did not "wish" to move but have been unquestionably forced to do so. I imagine they much more likely would have wished to continue to live out their days enjoying whatever activities they were taking part in prior to their terrible loss. My heart goes out to them and to their neighbors as the whole neighborhood has been adversely impacted.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I wonder if the owners in question who were forced to sell under extreme duress for pennies on the dollar to likely the only buyer available would say they "passed their homes to a company". If I were in this grievous situation I would literally be in anguish, suffering significant financial loss and conceivably the death of my retirement dream.

I also wonder if a for-profit house flipping company ever sets out to 'tie things up'. Why would such an outfit set out to do that at some financial cost rather than rehab the houses and profitably resell them as quickly as possible? The tie up is due to the inaction to remediate the sinkhole by the powers that be, whoever and whatever they are.

Whether or not the homeowners "do not need pity" I truly pity them. If this happened to me I would be devastated. These 80+ year old folks likely did not "wish" to move but have been unquestionably forced to do so. I imagine they much more likely would have wished to continue enjoying whatever activities they were taking part in prior to their terrible loss. My heart goes out to them and to their neighbors as the whole neighborhood has been adversely impacted.
You misunderstood me, or I was not clear. It is indeed very sad that they have suffered catastrophic loss due to this completely awful event.

They are forced to move because this happened, not because someone caused it to happen. They should and are given sympathy because of having an act of nature destroy their home, and we all would be saddened by this no matter how young or old they are.

The point I was trying to make is that many of us reading this forum are in our eighties and living very normally and independently and do not need pity for being a certain age. People do not need to be pitied for being old. Many of us are doing quite well.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-29-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I feel pity for the people because of the event not their age. It is a terrible situation to lose your home.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Calumet Grove Sinkhole Update - March 29, 2019 - YouTube

In The Villages, sinkhole damage remains after 15 months - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

That this situation has continued so long is inexcusable IMHO.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread has strayed far from the original topic. The OP asked the mods for some leeway, but posts must return to that original topic. Detailed discussions of what the developer has or has not done belong in their own thread. Further off topic posts will be removed.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
An analytical post built on specifics and showing the poster's ability to apply critical thinking skills should not be interpreted as negative and should never incite name-calling and predictable, platitudinous, pseudo-sympathetic comments from other posters.

Thinkers gonna think for themselves. Too bad that bothers some and sends them down their well-worn path of name-calling and lame implications about someone's life and happiness. Ridiculous.

Why not come back with a well thought out opposing opinion of the actual situation, complete with backup. But that is not likely to happen. It is so much easier for some to dismiss and try to cover up anything that might be leading to discomfort if acknowledgment of a different way of thinking is getting too close.

But (sigh) the wagons are circling, as usual. The thought police are on patrol. Posts are being weaponized with boring and boorish clichéd comments to try to make those with differing opinions go away. The "Us vs. Them" posters are out and in formation.

The inability (or refusal) to try to understand shades of gray in levels of varying opinions ends up with the need to dismiss and mock in order to not have to tax one's own thinking. Turning the tone of a debate toxic comes so much easier than a well thought out rebuttal -- so there you have it. Textbook stuff on how not to debate.

And soon, the will close. (sigh)
Outstanding post
Old 05-29-2019, 07:37 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Why do people support the Developer / TV Concept,

and

Why do other people appear to want to negative and have a dislike for TV/The Developer???

So many times, threads get off of the OP's topic and turn into a debate on The Developers, The Villages' concept, personal attacks against the Developers and the personal support of the Developers.

The Moderators will give us some room here, but let's see if we can flush some of the thoughts / logic out prior to this thread being locked down.

Me????.................I have a lot of respect for the business people who risk their financial well being to develop/create something. ie: The Wright Brothers; Bill Gates; Ben Franklin; John Baird; Delbert Webb: Harley Davidson; as examples. Some got very rich, some did not. To me, that's the American Way.

Biology. How your brain is wired determines how you think.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Biology. How your brain is wired determines how you think.
Excellent post. I believe it more and more. I used to believe heavily in nurture and now I believe heavily in nature.

Also hormones. And gender which is biology too.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

What a shame.
This thread isn't going to be here much longer, or it's suddenly going to lose a lot of weight.
Love it when you hear the knives getting sharpened.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Well......it lasted longer than I thought.

Some good information, and as expected the topic has turned to "it's the nasty developer's fault" rather than sticking on task.

It's funny (& sad) to go back and read the comments.

Moderator, thanks for letting this flow................your call: do some deleting or close it, "You Be the Man (a saying, not sexist)".

Thanks!!!!

Old 05-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

"it's the nasty developer's fault"

Seems more like "The Developer Can do no wrong" clique, throwing a strop, because some had the audacity to treasonably suggest that they did not agree with everthing regarding the growth of TV, some conditions, maintainance or lack of, fees, whatever.
The majority are here because they want to be, but that does not mean the residents have to assume the position when TD is passing or mentioned.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
"it's the nasty developer's fault"

Seems more like "The Developer Can do no wrong" clique, throwing a strop, because some had the audacity to treasonably suggest that they did not agree with everthing regarding the growth of TV, some conditions, maintainance or lack of, fees, whatever.
The majority are here because they want to be, but that does not mean the residents have to assume the position when TD is passing or mentioned.

Closed Thread

Tags
people, developers, support, developer, personal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.