Comcast Xfinity Raised my bill 7 %

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Default Comcast Xfinity Raised my bill 7 %

This is unbelievable, I signed up for a package in August and now the modem charge went from 8 to 10 dollars a month, and something called Broadcast TV went from 1.50 to 3.25 a month. is there no regulation or competition for this private monopoly? What else has gone up over 7% this year?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 AM

Not to ignore your.question but can't you buy your own modem? When Time Warner started charging for the modem most people went out and bought their own. Comcast can probably provide you with a list of modems that will work with their system.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Buy your own modem and save $10. Cannot recall what I paid for ours, but this is the second house we have used it on over the past 3 plus years. Comcast has the specs for you to get a compatible unit. Best Buy has them. It will more than compensate the increase elsewhere in your bill.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Time to do the Comcast dance and threaten to drop them. It sucks that we have to do that every year because they are sooooooo greedy.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Sage

If you use Comcast voice/phone service you need a special modem. At one time, they were not readily available for purchase. Has that changed? Has anyone bought their own modem and used it for their phone service? Where did you buy it and how much?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You may have other choices for internet and TV depending on where you live: Brighthouse, CenturyLink, Direct TV, and Dish, although DirectTV and Dish are TV only with partners providing internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
This is unbelievable, I signed up for a package in August and now the modem charge went from 8 to 10 dollars a month, and something called Broadcast TV went from 1.50 to 3.25 a month. is there no regulation or competition for this private monopoly? What else has gone up over 7% this year?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

IMO, $10/mo for modem rent is outrageous.

The way I look at it, it is an increase in the cost of internet service!. Many people do not feel confident about changing out the equipment.

They will continue raising costs as often as they want. Why? Because they can!

Comcast appears to be expanding their use of data caps. Another way to increase customers' bills.

Right now, it appears they are doing it in locations where, "Surprise", they have little or no competition.

Quote:
While Comcast only currently has usage caps in a handful (but slowly expanding) of mostly uncompetitive Southern trial markets, Phil Dampier at Stop the Cap notes that Comcast's website now features a link in all of the company's markets warning customers that "an Xfinity data usage plan may apply." The link now appears when customers click on the "learn more" hyperlink at the bottom of each of the company's speed offerings.
Comcast's Website Expands References to Usage Caps | DSLReports, ISP Information
Old 01-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

I just dropped Comcast and went with CenturyLink bundle phone, computer, and Prism. I had CenturyLink for computer and phone before with Comcast for television. I'm saving $35 a month by doing the bundle. Don't know what will happen in a year but for right now I'm happy since Comcast keeps going up.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation One Way

I became fed up with Comcast and threw them out but kept their Internet. I bought a "Surfboard" combined modem and router at Best Buy for around $100.
I then went to AT&T and installed (real easy) an AT&T box which actually works off of our Cell Phone for $20 per month. You keep you regular home based phone number so it is invisable that you are actually using the internet for all calls including local and long distance. Thus we have Comcast Internet, our own modem/router, AT&T at $20 per month and Direct TV which far excels Comcast. We are sorry we took so much of their abuse before we cancelled them. I just didn't want to go through the pain of changing everything over but it was really worth it in the end. The service from DirectTV is terrific, the picture is much much better than Comcast, their Genie is great and I no longer suffer under the terrible Comcast Company. It is no wonder they were voted the 2nd worst in the Country with Time Warner being the worst. How the heck can anyone be any worst???
Old 01-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

I have been using Comcast for about 14 years here in the villages, and always said they provide the best internet service, but they are in the "Villages mode" and feel all can afford it, and most its just a drop in the bucket. I have TV my air, so do not need Comcast TV, very shortly i will find an internet only provider. Spoke to AT&T yesterday, they also have an attitude, at least the guy i spoke to, i hung up on him, as he attacked my privacy.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We use Century Link for internet only. I just upgraded the service and it will go from 10 Mbits/sec to 40 Mbits/sec for $5/month less. It is worthwhile to call every now and then to see what the new deals are. We use an Ooma box for voice-over-IP telephone for less than $4/month - worth it because I do a lot of conf calls for work and I find the cellphone reception too spotty for reliable conf calls. For TV, we use an over-the-air antenna to pull in Hi-Def channels from Orlando for no cost (as in the "old" days). We also stream video over the internet with a couple of Roku boxes. We "cut the cord" on cable or satellite paid TV service a few years ago and have not looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp509 View Post
I just dropped Comcast and went with CenturyLink bundle phone, computer, and Prism. I had CenturyLink for computer and phone before with Comcast for television. I'm saving $35 a month by doing the bundle. Don't know what will happen in a year but for right now I'm happy since Comcast keeps going up.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Welcome to the "I Hate Comcast Club"

I'm the self-appointed President....Started out with bundle, increase, buy router, increase, call, decrease, buy modem, increase, call, get brilliant idea, drop phone,get magic jack, increase, call, drop TV, get Direct (best move we have EVER made), now if I can drop internet, I'll be Free at last....Yea!
p.s. bill has gone from aver $200, down to $39
Old 01-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

some of use have no other option. Comcast only service currently in my Villa. Century link fiber optic are coming but not laid yet. No ATT, No brighthouse, cause I tried them first. Course the salesmans said "O" sure we have it in your area! Till the installer showed up and said no service down this street. So I am stuck for now and my bill going up from 189 bundled to over 215 and there nothing I can do about it at the moment!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Call Dish or Direct TV (satellite) and get one of their new customer deals and drop Comcast TV. Go down to the minimum internet speed with Comcast. I bet you would save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
some of use have no other option. Comcast only service currently in my Villa. Century link fiber optic are coming but not laid yet. No ATT, No brighthouse, cause I tried them first. Course the salesmans said "O" sure we have it in your area! Till the installer showed up and said no service down this street. So I am stuck for now and my bill going up from 189 bundled to over 215 and there nothing I can do about it at the moment!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 PM

My comcast bill went from 60 bucks to 160 bucks in one year. Dropped them. I have a cell phone and magic jack (30 bucks) for phone. I have DirectTv for video, hardly any problems with weather outages. I have Century Link for internet.

I spend around 90 bucks combined. You have plenty of choices, plenty or reasons to cut the cable.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.