Why are Snowbirds so despised?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Blame it all the warm weather down here.

If I was younger and wealthier to maintain/furnish 2 homes, 2 wardrobes, 2 cars, 2 electric bills, 2 water bills, 2 real-estate tax bills, including the hassle and expense of traveling twice a year in and out of Florida.... YES and I would be a snowbird too.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:12 PM
Default Snowbirds

Maybe if most of the snowbirds became full time or at least 6-8 months a year, the powers to be would understand the congestion etc and begin to add more courses restaurants' etc etc, Today, i feel they just sense the inconvenience for 3 months and leave most things as is, knowing it will go away in 3 months..
Old 10-24-2021, 11:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post

For me it's more of having to endure snowbird drivers who don't know how to keep driving past a golf cart. Some drivers slow down so as to allow the golf cart to stay ahead of them. It's trying to enter the round abouts, when the SBs don't know how to use them, so they become super slow drivers, or they come to a complete stop, while in the inside lane, because they missed their turn off. Or they turn onto roads right in front of you and go 30 MPH when the speed limit is posted as 45MPH.

e.
I really have to agree about your thought process to endure snowbird drivers. However, on a daily basis, what your are describing as snowbird drivers happens everyday. They usually, if not always, have Florida plates, in the form of big trucks with UPS, FedEx, or USPS doing 45 in a 30 merging to a 20, trying to beat the golf cart. Or the commercial lawn trucks, crossing yellow line to get ahead, of anybody. Da**** those snowbirds.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:38 AM

Thank You, very well stated. I too am a Villages snowbird and care about my home just as much as the full timers. I pay for my landscape, weeding, irrigation, and pest control service monthly. Most of all I pay for my amenities fee all year round and only use the facilities 5 months out of the year. I check my wifi cameras and thermostat settings frequently. I love my Villages Home and hope that one day my circumstances will change to allow me to live here all year round.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
In a single phrase "Back home __________".

No, they aren't "back home". If it so wonderful "back home", why are you here?
I’m sitting at the Minneapolis airport waiting for my chariot back to the Sun. Everything I’ve seen.here these past four days was a fresh reminder of why I left in the first place.

There’s no place like The Villages.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I really have to agree about your thought process to endure snowbird drivers. However, on a daily basis, what your are describing as snowbird drivers happens everyday. They usually, if not always, have Florida plates, in the form of big trucks with UPS, FedEx, or USPS doing 45 in a 30 merging to a 20, trying to beat the golf cart. Or the commercial lawn trucks, crossing yellow line to get ahead, of anybody. Da**** those snowbirds.
Bad driving happens all year long. It just seems that the REALLY stupid stuff occurs Oct-April. My wife texted me the other day while she was on the MMP crossing on Colony Blvd. headed to Havana. "I know snowbird season has started since I am in a line of 7 golf carts AND A SUV waiting to cross". Earlier this year, in February, I encountered a SUV exiting the tunnel under BV just south of the Liberty Park entrance. Wonder if it was the same driver returning?????
Old 10-25-2021, 06:02 AM
Veteran member

We have no problem with snowbirds. We have been full time since 2009 and we look forward to seeing our friends who return after summering in the "Punjab". If we had lakefront, beach front property, young grandchildren, lots of family or friends back where we grew up, we would probably go back home, but we don't, so Florida and TV is our full-time home now. "Go Gators" Welcome back snowbirds.
Closed Thread

Tags
snowbirds, despised, divide, understand, explain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.