Why so many obese Villagers ???

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

When I first visited The Villages for 20 years I had lived in an area where people valued their health and appearance and took care of themselves. A few were overweight by not by much. I observed Villagers who were shockingly huge to my eyes. More than a few of them looked so obese they could have worked as the fat lady or fat man in a circus years ago. I was surprised so many of them smoked, too, as I had hardly even socially known anyone who smoked for years. Since I am a bit of a gym rat I also noticed some folks were in exceptionally good physical condition and that there weren't many in between; folks were very fat or very fit. That has not changed over time.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-18-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

Many Americans are slowing slitting their wrists with the dull blade of overindulgence. It is evolution. Look at pictures taken pre 1960s. Not many fat people.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Like most living here in The Villages, I'm recently retired, older and trying my best to stay healthy to try to stick around this great world for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I have noticed during my short period living here, that many villagers are out of shape, obese, some morbidly obese, physically inactive and generally disgruntled with life in general.

On my most recent trip to Publix by the new bridge, I witnessed a couple from the villages (they left in a golf cart) while checking-out purchasing ""ALOT"" of ice cream, doughnuts, regular soda, bags of candies, bread, sugar cookies, crackers, chips and not one piece of fruit or a non-sugar product. Additionally this couple both weighed in over 300 pounds each!!! I felt almost compelled to re-direct this couple to rethink their food purchases in the same way I would help prevent a person that is attempting suicide.

I understand loosing weight is VERY difficult, but why destroy the remaining years of your life!!!
I'm stricken with a sudden insatiable curiosity here, new person. My questions to you:

Do you believe that
1) these obese people don't realize that they're obese?
2) that these obese people don't realize that overeating crap is contributing to (or possibly even causing) their obesity?
3) that these obese people would have a single kind word to say to you, if you had chosen to act out on your temptation and confront them with their food choices?

and here's a different line of thought:

4) that these people were buying ALL of those things exclusively for themselves, and that there was absolutely no way possible that they were buying sweets for a party, AND themselves, AND their family?
4a) that these people have no understanding of Halloween and therefore could not POSSIBLY have been buying some of that candy for Halloween festivities somewhere?

Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Sorry mate, I'm not a dosser, but when I see a person in need (such as the couple in Publix), I feel obligated to assist. Looking the other way may be easier than MYOB, but
diabetes, heart disease and cancer are unfortunately very prevalent among the older population """ESPECIALLY""" when one is morbidly obese...Enjoy life, collect your pension and social security for as long as possible and stay in shape...
I doubt that they need your assistance and they are most likely fully aware of the dangers involved in choosing their lifestyle. There are many people here that are alcoholics and or drug addicts or junk food addicts that for one reason or another don't gain weight but they don't stand out as much. If you want to help someone there are plenty of hungry people both adults and children in the communities surrounding TV and I might suggest you spend some time and effort helping those that really are in need.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Don't understand our obsession with obesity. In the animal kingdom I would be considered a trophy, be mounted and prominently displayed if captured by a human. Also in the animal kingdom I would be the best of breed and I would get selected to do the mounting. As my my wife says you're a real keeper alright.

Last edited by rustyp; 10-18-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

well your metabolism slows down....your desires(hormonal)wane...energy overall is lacking...to little exercise....to much food. it isn't rocket science.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Like most living here in The Villages, I'm recently retired, older and trying my best to stay healthy to try to stick around this great world for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I have noticed during my short period living here, that many villagers are out of shape, obese, some morbidly obese, physically inactive and generally disgruntled with life in general.

On my most recent trip to Publix by the new bridge, I witnessed a couple from the villages (they left in a golf cart) while checking-out purchasing ""ALOT"" of ice cream, doughnuts, regular soda, bags of candies, bread, sugar cookies, crackers, chips and not one piece of fruit or a non-sugar product. Additionally this couple both weighed in over 300 pounds each!!! I felt almost compelled to re-direct this couple to rethink their food purchases in the same way I would help prevent a person that is attempting suicide.

I understand loosing weight is VERY difficult, but why destroy the remaining years of your life!!!
My father worked in the grocery business for over 30 years. He observed what people purchased, even noting people he knew who had no pets buying pet food to eat during the Great Depression. I have heard it said "You are what you eat". His observations (and the OP"s) confirm that statement.

When one of my children wanted candy I would ask him/her if he/she wanted to look like a candy ass. My child would inevitably answer "no". Then he/she would accept a small amount but not try to pig out on candy.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-18-2020, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Sorry mate, I'm not a dosser, but when I see a person in need (such as the couple in Publix), I feel obligated to assist. Looking the other way may be easier than MYOB, but
diabetes, heart disease and cancer are unfortunately very prevalent among the older population """ESPECIALLY""" when one is morbidly obese...Enjoy life, collect your pension and social security for as long as possible and stay in shape...
I love Brit terms. Dosser didn't come to mind.....Wanker did.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I love Brit terms. Dosser didn't come to mind.....Wanker did.
Did you know that was Peggy (Wanker) Bundy's last name? There are plenty of other names and things that crossed my mind but I thought you weren't supposed to direct your comments at other people? Maybe there is an allowance for certain people with powers on Sunday's to criticize others.

So being the solid citizen I am I will not Psychoanalyze the OP. This could be a return of the worst poster ever. I will not take the bait or eat it either.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

Judge not, lest ye be judged!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

We may be old and fat but we all carry gun's. (legally, concealed carry) Also, we are like squirrel's getting ready for the big one!
Old 10-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,269 Posts

Hey! I'm not overweight, I'm undertall.. And if you ever tried to take away my ice cream you'd likely be pulling back a bloody stump..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 10-18-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Not my experience. I spend most of my year up north, and a few months in TV. I am always impressed with the level of activity and fitness. Sure there are some overweight folks in TV, but there a lot of really fit people, a decade or more older than me, who can kick my sorry butt on the pickleball court. Also, relatively few smokers. IMHO.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:

If they made it this far all the power to them. It's like telling a 90yr old adult smoking 4 packs a day to stop smoking because it will kill them.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
couple, obese, life, living, villagers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.