Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Default Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Did not get hit with 25%, only 12 and had 15 years of no increases. Taxes are still lower than a majority of places. When you vote them out you will still have the same issue, not enough money to run the county. If you raise the fee on the developer you raise the fee on all builders. I am sure the small builders will love that.

Unless the bond is satisfied. The increase would of course be at a much higher percentage.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Been reading anti developer from the same source for many years.
I am not and have not ever been anti developer but this is a new generation of the developers family and I am not liking what I am seeing. It’s is not so much greed for money but greed for power. Look at the impending changes to the Wildwood city charter.

Last edited by perrjojo; 10-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Perhaps taxes on individual houses have remained level or even diminished over an extended period of time because most of the infrastructure for buildout on the land owned/controlled by the developer was already in place through some prior financial arrangement such as the municipal bonds that were not truly municipal bonds. Every new house that was built over this period of time added to tax revenue and of course had a bond lien placed on it when sold to cover water, sewer, utilities, streets, etc.. For example, if 2,000 houses were built in a year and the average property tax on each was $3,000, these new houses collectively would add $6,000,000 to property tax revenue every single year from that year forward. As many thousands of houses have been built every year over the last 10 to 12 years total county tax revenue has enormously increased every year, even if tax rates have remained the same or been slightly reduced.

Now, acres and acres of newly acquired raw land, essentially enough land to double the size of The Villages, require infrastructure to be put in place before houses can be built and sold. What to do? Where can the money be found. Aha! We can increase the tax rates on the existing homes all over Sumter County. Let the taxpayers pick up the bill. Why not? What a great idea? If we do it right they may grumble but they won't be able to stop us...

Thank you for providing facts, and logic.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am also a strong supporter of capitalism, the free markets, and business success in general. It is what has made our country great, and what made my career a success. I am also about as far to the right as you will ever find when it comes to fiscal responsibility. However, those beliefs don't make me a blind supporter of the developer, that has to be earned.

Going back about 3 years or longer, I was about as strong a supporter of the developer as ANYONE who regularly posts on TOV. The Villages run under the guidance of Gary Morse, and his father Harold Schwartz before him, earned my almost unconditional trust. In my opinion, they build the greatest retirement community in the world and were keenly focused on making it the best place possible for the residents. This business model worked great and resulted in both happy residents and very good profits for the developers.

About five years ago Gary Morse passed away and the next generation of the family took over operations. During the first couple of years after Gary's departure I opserved little to no change in the developers business model. However, over time, in my opinion, the new generation has begun to change the business model. Profit maximization seems to have leapfrogged resident happiness on their priority list. The tax increase discussed at nausium in this thread is the most obvious example of this. The new generation of the developers family has managed to eroded my almost unconditional trust. I sincerely hope this trend does not continue.

Please don't get me wrong, I still believe the Villages is the greatest retirement community in the world and wouldn't want to sell my home and relocate elsewhere. Even if the new generation of developers continues to operate under their revised business model, it will most likely take them my remaining life expectancy to whipe out the resident lifestyle advantage over other retirement communities that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created.
You have expressed my thoughts exactly. This is no longer the Harold Schwartz/Gary Morse modelmfor The Villages. Change is inevitable but not always for the best outcome.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,780 Times in 3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Thank you for providing facts, and logic.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

This thread is about the impact of tax increases on Villagers. What about the rest of Sumter who will be paying this increase as well? For the most part others in Sumter County really dislike Villagers. This tax increase will be a giant burden on many of them and they are not reaping the benefits. I want to be a good neighbor and know that ALL of Sumter County is benefiting from this tax increase. I want all of Sumter to know that we are not the self-important, entitled folks that most think we are.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Well, that is another thing to consider, and, does anyone care about them?
Old 10-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The remainder of Sumter County has historically been one of the poorer parts of Florida. Even what may be to some if not most Villagers a trivial tax increase likely will be felt deeply by these folks. The 'One Sumter' essentially stripped them of electing any councilor(s) and having any representation at all in how the county is operated.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The remainder of Sumter County has historically been one of the poorer parts of Florida. Even what may be to some if not most Villagers a trivial tax increase likely will be felt deeply by these folks. The 'One Sumter' essentially stripped them of electing any councilor(s) and having any representation at all in how the county is operated.
good points. However three very poor towns have now become flushed with money from tax revenues generated within the boundaries of the Villages. TV does not need the same Police protection per home as most of the rest of the county. Population of 125,000+/- and very small school costs. I'm willing to listen to the arguments but there is so much misunderstanding and wrong info on this thread
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

My bad (Velvet slaps her wrist). Thank you for caring about them.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
How has that changed since The Villages? Whole lot of them poor people now have good jobs. Just sayin....
Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well, that is another thing to consider, and, does anyone care about them?
I hope so!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How has that changed since The Villages? Whole lot of them poor people now have good jobs. Just sayin....
Yes, it has changed for some but only some.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Indeed.

The Villages copied and over time improved upon on Del Webb's inventive Sun City concept. Buy cheap land outside a city, build a senior community of closely spaced small houses, provide golf courses, rec centers and a shopping center. Even allow driving around the community in golf carts. The original Sun City opened 01/01/1960. Sun City, Arizona - Wikipedia

I have posted these before. Some have enjoyed watching them as have I. Notice how they drive around in golf carts at times.

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - YouTube

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo - The Beginning Part 2.wmv - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-02-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Yes, it has changed for some but only some.
Yes, and affordable housing for the workforce required to run this vast place hasn't kept up.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.