Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
I've never understood the reasoning behind those who constantly side with entities who don't have their best self interest.
So how do we know if an entity has our best interest at heart?

Tha answer is to look at what that entity does. Many of us look at The Villages and see a wonderful place for us to live. We look at the Southern Area and see new things, like walking trails, that we wish we had in our area. It seems like The Villages management is making things better than ever, and that is why we support them.

If we did not like what we see, we would not support them. Simple as that.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Why? Because it is well thought out and presented in a factual manner?

Yep...you nailed it.

The POA deals in facts/research/truth and as we know, there are a whole lot of people...who have a serious allergy to such.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

Tha answer is to look at what that entity does. Many of us look at The Villages and see a wonderful place for us to live. We look at the Southern Area and see new things, like walking trails, that we wish we had in our area. It seems like The Villages management is making things better than ever, and that is why we support them.

I don't think anybody is disputing that The Villages is nice place to live.

The question is: Who should pay for the infrastructure necessary because of the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages: the Developer, who initiated, and will profit from, the expansion, OR the Sumter County taxpayers, who will not profit from it and generally oppose it? The answer should be obvious.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Default Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Quote:

The Buena Vista extension is not an amenity. Why should we pay for it? They also don't build nice amenities because they like us or they want us to have nice things, they do it to attract buyers. They don't need our support, only our money. I don't "support" GM but I like their Escalade. It's a nice SUV. With or without my support it would still be a nice SUV.

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-03-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
The Buena Vista extension is not an amenity. Why should we pay for it?
Because it benefits Sumter County and you live in Sumter County? Just a thought!

Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Default Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Because it benefits Sumter County and you live in Sumter County? Just a thought!

It wouldn't need to be built if there weren't any houses going in. Who's building the houses that need egress? Not Sumter County. Not me or you. Let Morse pay for the road.

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-03-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,280 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
The Buena Vista extension is not an amenity. Why should we pay for it? They also don't build nice amenities because they like us or they want us to have nice things, they do it to attract buyers. They don't need our support, only our money. I don't "support" GM but I like their Escalade. It's a nice SUV. With or without my support it would still be a nice SUV.
We are paying for it with property taxes, not amenity fees. Why should we pay for it, well that's a good question. In my opinion we shouldn't. Without the development of the Villages South, the extension would not be necessary. Those who stand to benefit from the new development should also be responsible for paying for the infrastructure that is required because of the development they profit from.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Who should pay for the infrastructure necessary because of the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages: the Developer, who initiated, and will profit from, the expansion, OR the Sumter County taxpayers, who will not profit from it and generally oppose it? The answer should be obvious.
The answer is not obvious to me.

What is obvious to me is the nice lifestyle provided by The Villages and the amount we have to pay for it.

Right now the amount we have to pay is reasonable and our lifestyle is very good. If that changes in a negative way, we will make some changes.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
It wouldn't need to be built if there weren't any houses going in. Who's building the houses that need egress? Not Sumter County. Not me or you. Let Morse pay for the road.
////
Old 10-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,689 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
The answer is not obvious to me.

What is obvious to me is the nice lifestyle provided by The Villages and the amount we have to pay for it.

Right now the amount we have to pay is reasonable and our lifestyle is very good. If that changes in a negative way, we will make some changes.
As I (and others) have pointed out before: you are posting from the perspective of someone who clearly ignores that there are thousands of people living in Sumter County who are NOT residents of the Villages. They are not benefiting from any of this expansion, but they are being forced to pay for it.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
As I (and others) have pointed out before: you are posting from the perspective of someone who clearly ignores that there are thousands of people living in Sumter County who are NOT residents of the Villages. They are not benefiting from any of this expansion, but they are being forced to pay for it.
But won't the entire county benefit from all the taxes those new houses will be paying?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,689 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
But won't the entire county benefit from all the taxes those new houses will be paying?
Actually, no they won't. There are roads in Sumter County that are NOT Villages roads, that have been sorely in need of repaving for years, and have been ignored and neglected. Meanwhile, Sumter tax dollars pay for the roads that exist because the Villages exist, to be repaired and repaved, for traffic studies and tweaks on the areas of the main state roads that lead into and out of the Villages.

SOME of the taxes actually pay for "the entire county." But most do not.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Oh, I thought Kenswing was joking.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,906 Times in 3,712 Posts

Quote:
The Buena Vista extension is not an amenity. Why should we pay for it?

There are hundreds of County roads you don't drive on and don't benefit you, but you pay for them as well.

I've never been down SE 36th Blvd, but my tax dollars go to maintain it. I guess I shouldn't have to pay for it.

It's just not fair................I guess I should whine.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Actually, no they won't. There are roads in Sumter County that are NOT Villages roads, that have been sorely in need of repaving for years, and have been ignored and neglected. Meanwhile, Sumter tax dollars pay for the roads that exist because the Villages exist, to be repaired and repaved, for traffic studies and tweaks on the areas of the main state roads that lead into and out of the Villages.

SOME of the taxes actually pay for "the entire county." But most do not.
So property taxes in Sumter County don't pay for more than roads and projects in the Villages?

Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.