Why are the taxpayers, and not the developer, paying for the expansion of the village

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you a lawyer?
In real life, I was. Were you a developer?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Apart from marking your calendar for almost a year from now, I didn't read anywhere what you are going to do about this, Advogado?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

To those who disagree with the OP (Avocado). Point out where he is wrong. What facts is he presenting that are incorrect?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
To those who disagree with the OP (Avocado). Point out where he is wrong. What facts is he presenting that are incorrect?
I fact checked, but if I made any mistakes, I would be glad to be educated. Frankly, some of the comments, like attacks on the POA, are, at best, irrelevant.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:53 AM
Gold member

Sometimes a persons rose colored glasses are too dark a tint!
I think that to believe the developers have not influenced elected officials
is their favor is quite naive!
Old 09-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

By the way, I am a proud dues paying member of the POA. Everyone interested in an unvarnished, comprehensive and unbiased oversight of what should be important to residents of TV should join. Having said that, I am very pro developer for their vision and execution of the best retirement community in the world, however they are not above reproach.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
Thankfully we had moved from "Sumter County" 2 years ago.
In our 8 years there our R E Taxes went down appropriately 8 to 10%.

Why hasn't any group in "The Villages" or Resident in Sumter County contact the Attorney General about this unrepresented R E Tax restructure to benefit the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's"?
The 5 Board members have been planted on the Board by the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's".

Residents are being Screwed by the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's".
Since when do Tax payers foot the bill for any Builders impact fees?
This is unheard of in any County or State in the "United States of America".

When Gary Morse was in control this was never was even a consideration.
He made it Affordable for new purchasers and residents in Sumter County.
Actually till Nov. 2018 the Sumter County R E Taxes were lowered for over 15 continuous years.
Now live with the GREED of the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's" (Family).

How much money do they actually need?
Look up the Wealth of the Morse Family or Individually as I found this today:
"H. Gary Morse net worth: H. Gary Morse is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $2.5 billion. H. Gary Morse is the son of Michigan-born developer, Harold Schwartz".

Clean up "Sumter County Government" and the "Morse Money Hungry Mogul's" (Such a Shame)
You said you left...…………………………..
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hopefully clear thinking honest independent people who represent the interests of the resident citizens of Sumter County can be elected to replace the present members obsequious to the developer. That would be a breath of fresh air!
I’m not anti developer, but the developers seem to be able to take care of themselves quite well.
I would like like officials in office that represent the home owning constituents that elected them!
So, remember to vote!
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hopefully clear thinking honest independent people who represent the interests of the resident citizens of Sumter County can be elected to replace the present members obsequious to the developer. That would be a breath of fresh air!
Did you buy here this Spring? I am glad you are a landowner. It really is a wonderful place to live and I really think a lot of it is due to the decisions made by the developer. We have found it so for a dozen years. But, if we found evidence that was not so, we would sell and leave.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am wondering if their political leanings will be part of your decision making as to who is honest, competent, and independent of the Developer. I have no problems with people who support the developer.
To answer your question: At the County Commissioner level, political party should not matter.

I am a moderate Republican and would prefer to see honest, competent, independent Republican Commissioners, but party affiliation is not that important to me in regard to Commissioners.

BTW, like you, I credit with the Developer in making The Villagers a really great retirement community. I have an issue, however, with some of the things the Developer has done in developing it.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Our discussions on this Forum add to all of our knowlege about things in general.

I just looked this up and now I forget what PIRG means...Public Interest something. Anyhow interesting;

Who Pays For Roads? | U.S. PIRG

who pays for new roads and new utilities in a new area??? - Bing
Old 09-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
In real life, I was. Were you a developer?

As a Developer, developers try to maximize tax benefits and incentives while minimizing costs to develop a piece of land. This is Developer 101. It's not greed, it's business. If a city or county "gives too much away" (in the eyes of taxpayers), it's not a develop issue. The developer did a great job.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

And conversely, as a homeowner, you try to advocate in your best interest in the same way, Homeowners 101.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And conversely, as a homeowner, you try to advocate in your best interest in the same way, Homeowners 101.

Absolutely.

That is why Homeowners need to be engaged in the City/County Budget process, not wait until the taxes are determined to cover the budget.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

I brought up Impact fees when I first heard of this tax increase. I am from a county in Southwest Florida, where the Commissioners were also in the pockets of the developers. Taxes held pretty steady until the Commissioners dropped the impact fees, then our taxes went up. The Commissioner's response was that impact fees would stymy growth. I moved to that county when the population was around 150,000 people. Today there are close to 800,000 people, and it's a parking lot on the roadways, even in the summer.

Personal responsibility means that those who are impacting the roads and schools and other areas should be the one's paying for their impact, not the people who already live in a community. We need leaders, not puppets.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, developer, impact, sumter, fee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.