Why is The Villages so predominantly white?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Default Why is The Villages so predominantly white?

A former co-worker tells me that The Villages' predominant whiteness is systemic. I haven't seen it in my 4 winters (4 months each time) in The Villages in the Historic District or on the golf courses. I also haven't seen class distinctions, with CEOs playing alongside former hourly workers with no difference in treatment to each other. Am I naïve? With the Schwartz family so in charge I would think that, with their heritage, they would not discriminate based on color, religion or ethnicity. So, why is The Villages so predominantly white? It can't be because of the financial requirements because millions of non-whites have as much $$$ resources as those of us living in The Villages. Enlighten me. How did this whiteness come about? Are non-whites uncomfortable in The Villages? Those I have encountered don't seem to act that way. But, not being non-white, I can't speak for them. Let's have an informative, civil discourse. I know The Villages is predominantly Republican because the voting tallies show that. But I want to know if the whiteness is systemic, or because non-whites don't want to join in. Educate me. My 43 years on newspapers always made me inquisitive and wanting to know as much as I can about my fellow human beings. Thank you very much for your civil responses. I do not accuse. I only want to know more about The Villages from those who have lived here far longer than I have.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Because we chose to come to TV.
Your question could easily be about blonds? Blue eyes?
From PA? NY? Germany? Orientals?

The blacks vs whites is a distorted racial implication.....which in my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with who lives here (or not).

Because the OP is about why not more blacks.....it is more race bait than inquisition?
Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

This smells POLITICAL to me...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
A former co-worker tells me that The Villages' predominant whiteness is systemic. I haven't seen it in my 4 winters (4 months each time) in The Villages in the Historic District or on the golf courses. I also haven't seen class distinctions, with CEOs playing alongside former hourly workers with no difference in treatment to each other. Am I naïve? With the Schwartz family so in charge I would think that, with their heritage, they would not discriminate based on color, religion or ethnicity. So, why is The Villages so predominantly white? It can't be because of the financial requirements because millions of non-whites have as much $$$ resources as those of us living in The Villages. Enlighten me. How did this whiteness come about? Are non-whites uncomfortable in The Villages? Those I have encountered don't seem to act that way. But, not being non-white, I can't speak for them. Let's have an informative, civil discourse. I know The Villages is predominantly Republican because the voting tallies show that. But I want to know if the whiteness is systemic, or because non-whites don't want to join in. Educate me. My 43 years on newspapers always made me inquisitive and wanting to know as much as I can about my fellow human beings. Thank you very much for your civil responses. I do not accuse. I only want to know more about The Villages from those who have lived here far longer than I have.
Well i could easily ask "why is it the NBA predominately is black". However the purpose for other than NBA owners, officials etc would be meaningless .

How and why this racial nonsense has gotten so out of hand here is indeed becoming problematic.

There are no laws being broken here as to who can buy a home here.

I'm sick of threads like this

personal Best Regards:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Answer...Duh... golf

Topic is such a bait it should immediately removed from the general forum.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
Answer...Duh... golf

Topic is such a bait it should immediately removed from the general forum.
tiger may disagree.....
Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
tiger may disagree.....
Once again, someone mentioning an exception does not change the facts.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What brought us all here is hard work and planning and open mindedness and a caring and accepting and flexible attitude. AND a pioneering spirit. It takes GUTS to relocate after having lived all of your life in one area and many have, while many others have been world travelers.

Nothing is keeping anyone out that wants to live here and has the means to do so.

Golf is one of the main draws and there are a LOT of golfers here.

There is no reason why. It is just the choices people make. I believe that almost everyone here grew up with not much money and saved and scrimped and sacrificed and did without in order to retire where they chose and they chose here. No conspiracy, just what happened.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
It seems more a cultural thing that many African- Americans want to stay closer to family and friends where they worked for some time. Rather than coming to the Villages and being immersed in a kind of Senior Disneyland. Morse did seem to model the Villages on plans of Walt Disney properties.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold member

Lumping all white people into the same category is called Racism. Most come from different cultural backgrounds and countries. Diversity, an overused word, is not determined by skin color, unless you are a politician with an Agenda.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Well i could easily ask "why is it the NBA predominately is black". However the purpose for other than NBA owners, officials etc would be meaningless .
How and why this racial nonsense has gotten so out of hand here is indeed becoming problematic.
There are no laws being broken here as to who can buy a home here. I'm sick of threads like this.
Anyone who wants to buy a home in The Villages can do so.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM

We live here because we choose. So can anyone else. If this to "white" for you why don't you move elesewhere. Why must everything revolve around racism?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Is everyone sitting at their computer or are is someone on one knee?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:07 PM
fw102807

This forum needs a hide button like FB for stupid posts like this
Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

This thread is gone in 3.2.1....

Stop the race baiting
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, non-whites, predominantly, white, systemic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.