Why you should not wave to golf carts to cross in front of your car at gates

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 AM
Sage

Chapter 316, section 123-212--you must be a police officer or a traffic control device
Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not cars, but carts, pedestrians and bicycles.
Nope.

“Rarely helps traffic move” applies to them all. And it’s always illegal regardless.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I totally agree.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
If someone does that to you, simply wave them on. Easy solution.
I have waved on the car driver and the person won't move until I proceed. I wave and wave and they won't budge. Now what I do is not make eye contact with the car driver and actually look the other way. Eventually they get the message that I'm not moving.

Cars have the right of way at the gate crossings. Please don't have a stand off with a golf cart driver.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
I will continue to appreciate respectful and courteous drivers that help traffic move by waving carts through. I will continue to do the same when in my car.
As another poster already mentioned.....the golf cart driver has a stop sign. The car driver does not have a stop sign. Why confuse the issue?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:13 AM

If car drivers would be a little more patient and wait for the gate to fully come down before they swipe their entry card, the gates would provide the safety to golf carts as they were intended. This goes both ways!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

There are times when a car will stop to wave you on, but there is a car coming in the opposite direction.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage

And you would be wrong every time.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I will continue to appreciate respectful and courteous drivers that help traffic move by waving carts through. I will continue to do the same when in my car.
I think you don't have a clue. They are not helping traffic move, just the opposite, they are holding up traffic behind them.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Intelligent people recognize that the main reason we have gates at all is to slow motor vehicle traffic down so that golf carts, bicycles and pedestrians using the multimodal paths can traverse these major intersections with a reasonable degree of safety. If you travel about frequently in Village neighbor hoods, you will come to know that some of these gated intersections have minimal traffic (including some with manned gates) while others are very, very busy. The one closest to my residence is one of the busy ones, particularly at obvious times when many drivers are out and about. At such times it is not unusual to see 5 or 6 golf carts lined up waiting to cross. In these situations I will often come to a complete stop and wave a cart or two to cross ahead of me. I have a rear view mirror and I use it to determine what sort of traffic is behind me. If judgement tells me I am being tailgated or approaching cars are speeding, I will not do this. Every action in life involves some degree of risk, including the risk that cart divers may succumb to impatience and attempt to cross at inappropriate time. If cart drivers do not wish to cross, they indicate their wishes and this is fine with me.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage

Two of the worst are Bailey Tr and Buena Vista--&--St Charles & Buena Vista, some of the biggest offenders are contractors, who don't want to offend potential customers, by making them wait !!!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Did you read the previous 9 posts?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Did you read the previous 9 posts?
Not sure I see the relevance of this comment This thread is full of folks who don't want to see carts waved (or "waived") through (someone explain to me where these waivers can be obtained). Context matters here and not all gates are created equal.

I was waved through multiple gates today and appreciated every one. No accidents, no issues, no hurt feelings and lots of thankful expressions exchanged. A normal day for most of us in The Villages.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:52 AM

Did you poll the drivers behind the persons who waved you through to determine if they were happy and thankful that some fool at the front of their line broke the law and created a dangerous situation by stopping in the middle of the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
Not sure I see the relevance of this comment This thread is full of folks who don't want to see carts waved (or "waived") through (someone explain to me where these waivers can be obtained). Context matters here and not all gates are created equal.

I was waved through multiple gates today and appreciated every one. No accidents, no issues, no hurt feelings and lots of thankful expressions exchanged. A normal day for most of us in The Villages.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:26 AM

eye contact, 99% of the time you cant tell who is driving...
Closed Thread

Tags
car, vehicle, golf, front, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.