Wi-Fi GARAGE DOOR OPENER?

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Wi-Fi GARAGE DOOR OPENER?

Does anyone have a Wi-Fi garage door opener? If you do have one, can you give details and your opinion? I travel often and would like the ability to close the garage, if I forget it open, when I’m not here. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

We have this one:

Amazon.com

I can operate my garage door anywhere I can get online.

If you are wanting wifi only you won’t need a hub. If you want to be able to close/open the door from Albuquerque, you will need a hub. A hub connects the device to the internet outside of your wifi.

If you have IPhones you can use an Apple TV box (latest model), or a HomePod mini. You can also use an Amazon Echo.

Fairly easy to set up if you are mildly handy and no monthly charges. There are other devices that may have a monthly charge.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Does anyone have a Wi-Fi garage door opener? If you do have one, can you give details and your opinion? I travel often and would like the ability to close the garage, if I forget it open, when I’m not here. Thanks.
We have the Chamberlain 1.25HP belt drive WiFi opener. Love it.

Amazon.com

They have slightly newer ones with a camera, I would opt for that if I were buying it today, but this one has been fantastic, specially while we were not living here in TV full time.

I could open the door for inspectors, bug people, etc. I also opened it for a cart service guy. I have other cameras so I could see that he left and record who actually took it.

The final option I like is the close for the evening option. I have left it open over night until I turned that option on and now if it's open at 10pm, it closes on it's own.

Quiet, battery backup and reliable. What's not to love?

Connects directly to the wifi and took about 2 minutes to set up the wifi part of it. Installing on the door took about 90 minutes, mostly because I had one short ladder at the time.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
We have this one:

Amazon.com

I can operate my garage door anywhere I can get online.

If you are wanting wifi only you won’t need a hub. If you want to be able to close/open the door from Albuquerque, you will need a hub. A hub connects the device to the internet outside of your wifi.

If you have IPhones you can use an Apple TV box (latest model), or a HomePod mini. You can also use an Amazon Echo.

Fairly easy to set up if you are mildly handy and no monthly charges. There are other devices that may have a monthly charge.
The Amazon page does not say if it's compatible with the Allstar MVP ? Somebody asked and there was no answer.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
The Amazon page does not say if it's compatible with the Allstar MVP ? Somebody asked and there was no answer.
There is a link to a compatibility document further down the page. Allstar MVP is listed as being compatible.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Have a neighbor close it.
Have Neighborhood Watch close it.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:11 AM

We, as well as a friend, have the "Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Remote, APP Control, Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT, No Hub Needed" we bought from Amazon installed on our MVP Allstar opener and are very happy with it. Easy to install.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I like to keep locks off of the internet.
You can find equipment that is installed in your garage and will close the door if it is left open for x minutes. Might be a problem if you intentional leave your door open a lot as you work outside.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
There is a link to a compatibility document further down the page. Allstar MVP is listed as being compatible.
Thanks, missed it. Might just buy a new quiet opener with the wifi built in. The Allstar MVP is not a very good opener.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:38 AM

I purchased a Chamberlain .5 HP from Lowes when it was on sale for $159. MUCH quieter than the AllStar opener that was in the garage. Also can set it to close at 10PM if it's open:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain...ity/1000276739

Installed myself as that's what I usually would do, but in hindsight it was a PITA and if you can find an installation deal it's worth going that route.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
I purchased a Chamberlain .5 HP from Lowes when it was on sale for $159. MUCH quieter than the AllStar opener that was in the garage. Also can set it to close at 10PM if it's open:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain...ity/1000276739

Installed myself as that's what I usually would do, but in hindsight it was a PITA and if you can find an installation deal it's worth going that route.
Lowes was charging $99 last I checked.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Lowes was charging $99 last I checked.
Lowes was running a special a few months ago for free installation. Wish that was available when I purchased mine.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:57 PM
Default MyQ

Quote:
MyQ by Chamberlain is fantastic. Manage garage door anywhere there is a wifi connection. We have it scheduled to close at 8:30pm in the event we forget to close it. Our children are set up as users. We disable them after they leave our home. We enable them after they return. No keys or remotes or keypads to deal with. I also get notifications each time it opens and closes. It also can be set up to allow FEDEX to enter for deliveries without your interaction. Just saw it on Amazon for $29.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-...where2getit-20
Old 08-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

ANY garage door opener can be made wifi. I've done it, there are several options on Amazon to do it, many will pair to your smart home hub or use proprietary apps. Using this approach is superior, in my opinion as you can build in if this then that. If the door is open at 10pm, close it, if it is garbage day open the door at 7am and turn on the hall light to remind me. Your imagination is the limit. And it is cheaper and easier than replacing the entire opener.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
ANY garage door opener can be made wifi. I've done it, there are several options on Amazon to do it, many will pair to your smart home hub or use proprietary apps. Using this approach is superior, in my opinion as you can build in if this then that. If the door is open at 10pm, close it, if it is garbage day open the door at 7am and turn on the hall light to remind me. Your imagination is the limit. And it is cheaper and easier than replacing the entire opener.
What you state is absolutely true and can be done as well with a Chamberlain. In my case with the AllStar opener that was in my home, the amount of noise generated opening and closing the door was a great excuse to get rid of it. If I were to go out early for a run or to get the paper, it would literally wake everyone in the house that was still sleeping. It wasn't that old and had been well taken care of, but it was probably the loudest garage door opener I've ever had. The new one is whisper quiet.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, wi-fi, opener, door, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.