Wifi Questions

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I have a 3 mesh eero going to the 4th in the lanai, only because i want better wifi when i sit outside with sliders closed. The 3 mesh works fine in a 3400 sq ft + 500 ft lanai. Comcast service, my own comcast equivalent modem. surprised yours isnt working right.. maybe a switch of channels would help ? I do pair that with Google Nest cameras etc.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark124 View Post
Is the Flume water monitor hard to in stall? How long does the battery last ?
Hard to install? No. There are a few catches though. You can see mine here

Installing the flume at the water meter - YouTube

The batteries seem to last at least a year.

It's a great item. You get minute by minute water usage. Since we're not down there all the time, it's been great. 2 years ago we had 30,000 extra gallons of water used. A contractor had run over an irrigation head and broken it clean off. When that zone would come on, it ran at full pressure, right down to the storm drain. This would have caught it.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:54 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I am not sure what you mean by “static”. If you are referring to a static IP address, I doubt there is anyone in The Villages who has a static IP address via CenturyLink. You can probably get one through a business account.
Sorry, I meant 'physical, installed' - didn't mean to imply static IP.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The WiFi connected washer and dryer are actually pretty smart ideas. They could remind you to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer, instead of sitting wet in the washer all day. But using a Timer app on the cellphone would serve the same function.

I’m looking forward to the day where the washer and dryer will be one unit. When the washing is completed, the drying process would begin. No moving clothes from the washer to the dryer. There must be a technical reason why a washer/dryer cannot be built.
I have lived all over the world. There are combo Washer/Dryer units available. We've had a few. They all suck. Massively. Small and take absolutely forever to dry anything. Here in the US, we'd never put up with it. Plus we have more room to put stuff...
Old 03-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

If you're looking for full coverage, you need a mesh system. Using almost any other type of Wifi extenders will result is significantly slower speeds. i.e. if you're getting 200MB, you'll most likely top out around 80-90Mb. This is because normal (read cheaper) wifi extenders allocate 50% of the bandwidth for a backhaul line. Mesh systems have a separate backhaul channel, so the full bandwidth is available.

I have a NetGear Orbi and love it. I pay for 200MB, and get 234MB over wifi - same as when plugged directly in. I have one unit at one end of the home, and the other at the other end. This give me full coverage in my outside area by the pool at full strength and speed. With a single router, the farther you get way, the more your speed will drop.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:01 PM

I have the lowest tier of Comcast internet (approx 25 Mbps down, 2 MBps up), a modem that I purchased, and a set of 3 Google Mesh Wi-Fi routers (primary one is above refrigerator). Just 2 of the Google WiFi routers are needed for excellent coverage throughout my 3500 sq ft block home and the lanai. I can stream at least 2 or 3 HD streams simultaneously.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The WiFi connected washer and dryer are actually pretty smart ideas. They could remind you to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer, instead of sitting wet in the washer all day. But using a Timer app on the cellphone would serve the same function.

I’m looking forward to the day where the washer and dryer will be one unit. When the washing is completed, the drying process would begin. No moving clothes from the washer to the dryer. There must be a technical reason why a washer/dryer cannot be built.

The remote control thermostat is a good idea that we installed in the Minnesota house, but not in the Florida house. We have two HVAC systems in the Florida house, so I’d need to buy two of the WiFi thermostats. One benefit to having two HVAC systems, one for the master bedroom suite and the other for the rest of the house, is that you have a backup system if one of the systems breaks down. The zoning is nice too, so that the bedroom can be set cooler at night, without having to cool the whole house as much. But we’re still waiting for the whole house natural gas electric generator to be installed. If the utility power has an outage, only the water and natural gas will be working.

The water sensors are a good idea. I had water problems in the Minnesota house when We were gone for a long time. After that, I just shut off the water main as a precaution, before leaving the house for a long time period. Murphy’s law, if you’re going to have a water leak problem, it always waits till you’re away from the house for a long time period!

We haven’t done the combination door locks in the Florida house yet. I’ll have to buy four of those keypad locks.

The Obit B-Hyve smart WIFi sprinkler controller will pretty quickly pay for itself because it automatically automatically rain delays when rain is in the forecast or is very likely, by reducing your water bill. I control and monitor the system from anywhere with my iPhone. The Orbit B-Hyve sprinkler control also as screw terminals for the wires, not the lousy pinch wire connectors. I’ve tried several WiFi smart sprinkler controllers, and the Orbit B-Hyve is hands down, the best, and also the least expensive.

I think a smart washer dryer makes more sense in our TV villas because the washer and dryers are in the garages. In our NJ home, the laundry room is just a sort of a closet off the computer room, so you're right there. I can see not checking on it in July since the garage gets toasty.

I've installed 3 of these Hunter wifi controllers. Work great! No issues. Also screw terminals.

Having any kind of digital door lock is great. Having a wifi version of it is a little more helpful, but just not requiring a key is where it's at. You can never get locked out.

Our NJ house has 3 zones and I have 3 thermostats, all controllable from my phone. No big deal really. One TV house is wifi the other is old school. I'll update that ancient one when we move full time to TV in a few months. All four can be checked and updated from anywhere you have an internet connection. It's great to see what's going on when you're not there.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts
Default Wiring closet

Spectrum 400 mb service, ubiquity Edge 4 router, netgear gigabyte router and 8 port gigabyte switch, 1 POE used for a ubiquity long range access port in the ceiling center, no signal problems, 2000 sq ft begonia. all rooms hard wired, tv streaming directly from router, to eliminate the switch for sharing. . .

Most houses are wired with Cat 6 for phones, just the outlet is RJ11, can be easily changed to an RJ45, same in the wiring closet. Mine was also punched down for telephone, and was just cut and RJ45 put on the end in the wiring closet, not a big deal anymore. The biggest issue is the space with the oem watering controller
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring cabinet.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	88729  
Closed Thread

Tags
home, wi-fi, cameras, work, northern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.