Wild Grandchildren in golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran member
Default scolded? really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
As we were finishing the 9th hole at Mira Mesa last evening, a golf cart with children driving (no adult in cart) were driving all over the golf course at Mira Mesa then went over to Chula Vista golf course and rode all over the course. Where are these grandparents? How dare they let these kids do this. I stopped at Chula rec center when I saw a community watch truck and told them. They were on it already. I hope they were caught and the parents and grandparents scolded.
you actually think that 'scolding' is appropriate? if the drivers were underage then law enforcement should be involved. if reckless driving was observed then law enforcement should be involved. and if it can be determined that public safety was at risk, then law enforcement should be involved. community watch is ineffective in enforcing this sort of thing. and lastly, the owners of the golf cart should have their golf cart privileges terminated.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM

I am amazed that people here forget this is an area designed for adult's mostly over 55 years. Then because the villages does not entertain the children every minute they give them the carts to play with. Sooner or LATER A CHILD IS HURT. Then it is always the fault of the villages or the poor person who happened to be in there way. You see it every day Kids in carts driving, or too many kids in the carts, or sitting on the drivers lap. Would these same people give there car keys to them also. I once tried to tell a person that had five kids in a two seater cart that some one could get hurt with so many in the cart. I have never heard such language from a person. So now I just watch and pray that I am not around in my cart or car when they get hurt.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Can't tell if they are renters or owners offspring. But they are in deep do do.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Sage

HMMM... I wonder how cart driving privileges would be terminated ???
Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Well, I've seen a lot of kids driving around this season and have never seen anything remotely close to what is reported here. In fact, the kids I see driving around the Villages, in carts, are good drivers and actually STOP at the stop signs. ...and, I'm out in the cart every day. I never saw one kid that didn't use the turn signals...go figure.

I'm sure there are isolated incidents, but I believe it to be a small minority of young drivers. I could go on for days about what I see the residents do here, in golf carts.

It just seems odd to me that the same people on TOTV see these types of things...

I guess I'm just lucky . . .
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sure are a lot of assumptions going on here. Sadly, it wasn't necessarily a TV resident's grandchild; the "child" may have been not been visiting -- either lives here or lives in a neighboring town; the carts could have been "borrowed". Has happened more than once here. I remember a couple of years ago two carts were stolen, driven around and then driven into Silver Lake. I am glad that the OP cared enough to call someone to stop them. Here's hoping they were caught and held accountable.

As to whether it was a homeowner's or renter's grandchild, does it matter? (BTW, statistically, it is usually a homeowner who allows their grandchildren to drive the cart -- renters don't want the risk of damaging a cart that is not theirs.) Either way, it is a reckless act and one that put these idiot kids in grave danger and could get them in a lot of trouble.

TV is a great place for kids to visit but once they hit mid to late teens, TV is a place of boredom for them unless they're avid golfers -- they're stuck swimming with little kids; the music isn't even geared to their parents' age, it was way too old-fashioned for their taste; golf cart rides aren't fun unless they're driving; activities are geared to old folks' abilities; too young to drink, so the town rolls up at 9:00 pm. If they go alone somewhere in TV, they are looked at with suspicion. There really is little to entertain them for long periods of time. Personally, I would make sure that a teeenager wasn't stuck here for more than three days -- the rest of the visit would be off campus.
Well said, Redwitch!
You know, there are probably some people who have no interest in pets, or grandchildren or golf carts, living right here in TV, and love it in spite of those things. I am not speaking personally because I like dogs, grandchildren and golf carts, but I realize everyone does not and we need to be more tolerant. Sometimes the same person who wants the right to bring their dog into a restaurant they share with others will be the same person who wants the golf cart driver who exceeds the speed limit by 3 miles put in an orange suit and prosecuted "to the fullest extent of the law!" They also don't appreciate a family with children sitting next to them in restaurants or movie theaters, but probably see nothing wrong with bringing their dog. hmmm... food for thought Tolerance, people, tolerance! We live in a paradise!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Were these the grand children of residents or renters?
Where was the ambassador?
There seems to be more and more of this bad behavior which I believe falls directly on the irresponsibility of adults.
A golf cart is an attraction and you can expect it to draw the attention of youngsters in mischevious ways. Unsupervised use of a golf cart is a tragedy waiting to happen
Ambassadors were clocking out, I would guess. This was past the time of play on the course, it appears. It doesn't matter whether a child is a renters offspring or an owners and there are plenty of young people who drive responsibly and cause no difficulty ever.

However, over the years there has been much VERY EXPENSIVE damage inflicted on golf courses that we have lived on by kids who "borrow" a golf cart from the club and ride it around after hours...... and since we "belonged" to the club, it inevitably fell on all members to pay for the repairs. Tearing up greens amount to thousands of dollars of damage and of course means more to those of us who have been golfers all of our lives and causes our blood pressures to rise.

There are kids who truly are trustworthy and wonderful and reflect their upbringing and others who are just a little too...adventurous to be trusted unwatched with a four wheel vehicle that can harm them, others and cause property damage.

Being a card carrying grandparent, I have always erred on the side of caution.

It is spring break time. Things will calm down soon.

I just hope nobody...and no property gets damaged, the emphasis first on people, kids and us.

AND...Great post Redwitch. Have I told you yet today that you are one smart cookie.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Sure are a lot of assumptions going on here. Sadly, it wasn't necessarily a TV resident's grandchild; the "child" may have been not been visiting -- either lives here or lives in a neighboring town; the carts could have been "borrowed". Has happened more than once here. I remember a couple of years ago two carts were stolen, driven around and then driven into Silver Lake. I am glad that the OP cared enough to call someone to stop them. Here's hoping they were caught and held accountable.

As to whether it was a homeowner's or renter's grandchild, does it matter? (BTW, statistically, it is usually a homeowner who allows their grandchildren to drive the cart -- renters don't want the risk of damaging a cart that is not theirs.) Either way, it is a reckless act and one that put these idiot kids in grave danger and could get them in a lot of trouble.

TV is a great place for kids to visit but once they hit mid to late teens, TV is a place of boredom for them unless they're avid golfers -- they're stuck swimming with little kids; the music isn't even geared to their parents' age, it was way too old-fashioned for their taste; golf cart rides aren't fun unless they're driving; activities are geared to old folks' abilities; too young to drink, so the town rolls up at 9:00 pm. If they go alone somewhere in TV, they are looked at with suspicion. There really is little to entertain them for long periods of time. Personally, I would make sure that a teeenager wasn't stuck here for more than three days -- the rest of the visit would be off campus.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Elementary", said he
You said "whether it was a homeowners( resident) or renters grandchildren does it matter? "Ït is usually a homeowners (resident) who allow their granchildren to drive the cart." "renters don't want the risk of damaging a cart that is not theirs."

So we come full circle and apparently it does matter if it is a homeowner(resident) or a renter ( I said) because "it does make a difference" and the question of status was well, please forgive me "elementary"

And if these kids were not related to a homeowner (resident ) or renter then we have a problem as large as immigration and we better fix the borders
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Platinum member

And I'm sure your insurance won't cover anything that happens if the driver is under age!
I've already told my Nephew (age 10) he cannot drive it (when we move and get one!)
until he's 14 and then ONLY when an adult is with him.

Tough love keeps our loved ones SAFE.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Cool

Who came up with the number "14" as being age apropriate to drive a golf cart!? Seems to me a operator should be at least old enough to obtain a driver's license and actually have one in order to drive a cart!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold member

What damage did they do on the golf course? Did not see anything in the paper?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
What damage did they do on the golf course? Did not see anything in the paper?
Nothing was said by OP about damage on the golf course. I was telling my tales of woes on courses we had lived on.

I like the paper.

The police blotter is BACK.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
As we were finishing the 9th hole at Mira Mesa last evening, a golf cart with children driving (no adult in cart) were driving all over the golf course at Mira Mesa then went over to Chula Vista golf course and rode all over the course. Where are these grandparents? How dare they let these kids do this. I stopped at Chula rec center when I saw a community watch truck and told them. They were on it already. I hope they were caught and the parents and grandparents scolded.
What damage did they do? Did not see anything in the paper.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman5360 View Post
I Agree GrandParents I do not find it Cute nor entertaining when I see your Grand Children by themselves driving the Carts. You might think it is Great but they are not TOYS and Can Cause Injury to themselves and others. Chances are they are no better Drivers than any one elses grand kids and you probably get upset when you see someone elses kids driveing. I am not an Ole Scrooge and I Love Kids but come on Safety first> Thanks
Just the other day in front of my house, I saw a kid about 8 or 9 driving a golf cart with an older gentleman. The child had trouble making the turn on the corner. Grandpa helped him with the turn. Are you kidding me!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
What damage did they do? Did not see anything in the paper.
Most likely, you won't ever read of things like this in the Happy Paper.

Same for the neighbor of ours, who almost got pulled out of her cart by two guys in a car...at Spanish Springs a while back.

Even with a police report filed, it somehow didn't make the paper either.

That's one of the biggest criticisms I have about it.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.