Will All North and Central Country Club Restaurants and Pools Eventually Be Closed?

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
A LOT of thought provoking questions posed here !
Maybe (?) one factor at the heart of it is the illusion of exclusivity that has always been a part of the marketing ? It allows all of us to enjoy a community that emulates all the advantages most of us can't afford. It has really made wonderful surroundings for sure, but, only those running the number know for sure. Profit is the only thing that counts in (most) businesses and since T V's is not like a "normal" community (mayor, city council, elections, open meetings not POA or other highbred type meetings), it is after all a trade off as I see it. Personally I don't like the steady march toward fewer amenities and more acres of revenue producing projects, don't like the "trend" at all. But, I choose the community, choose the lot, and choose the house plan to build knowing there were some "un-natural/unusual" (LOL) elements at play here too; like "gates" that keep out..... nothing and no one. But, it was my choice of course. But what is ahead ? Wish I knew ! Probably what I have found most offensive is the kind of "on the fence" lack of ethics and moral clarity that allows things to happen "in the middle of the night" like sudden gate closure on "historic" side, sink hole down playing, etc. Too much is done very suddenly; but again it is a choice to live in the kind of community in which these things can happen completely legally. Perhaps serious consideration of a kind of highbred rec centers could be designed ? An informal dining room with MORE than brats and hotdogs, but with very casual furniture, and large, expansive patios with comfortable outdoor seating ? NOT a refreshment stand and not an expensive dining room to maintain like the beautiful facilities at A. Palmer club, Nancy L., etc. Would that work ? Lower over head, no wagyu beef on the menu, but interesting sandwiches and dinner salads ? Nice surroundings for drinks and food after golf at noon or evening.... and yet an option to "jump in the cart" for a reasonably priced informal meal ? More in the spirit of going to a Gator's, or national chain ? Keep overhead lower, lots of fresco dining, but as an extension of the rec centers.... keeping with the present décor of each ? Race track, lake cottage, Victorian garden, yachting..... and just make this a normal part of the rec centers rather than build more elaborate "country clubs" that require additional membership and some ( maybe ?) don't realize they are public restaurants when they first move here ? I have always thought that a rec center, with and informal dining option would be a HUGE money maker from golfers and swimmers alike ! Just my opinion to get the conversation started with the great questions you posed
Sink hole down playing? Sink holes happen in the west central part of Florida. It is not surprising we have one or two a year here in The Villages, usually after a big rain after an extended dry spell. If there is one, they are the responsibility of the homeowner to repair. It is wise to get insurance or keep money to self insure.

The ideas for dining here are interesting suggestions and I have noticed that price is probably the guiding force for menu choices. The residents AS A GROUP seem to be saying that they would rather dine out more and cheaper.

I was surprised by this statement;
"Probably what I have found most offensive is the kind of "on the fence" lack of ethics and moral clarity that allows things to happen "in the middle of the night" " I think that it may mean that the developers have never been open about a lot of things they do or are planning to do. I think it may be for several reasons; One already mentioned is that no matter what they do, anonymous people on Forums like this, who may have an agenda, will criticize.

And the best laid plans even from a well run organization and an ethical organization like The Villages Inc, sometimes go awry.

Probably the most important answer about the "secrecy" is that none of the Morses except the old fellow, Mr. Schwartz, was or is inclined to "toot their own horn" and be in the spotlight for ANYTHING. Even with famous people come here, the Morse Family are not evident. They don't seem to go much for "show".

Having rec centers with restaurants in them sounds like a good idea, but The Villages won't run them, they would be leased and the businesses that lease them would be the ones to choose how they are run. It is market driven and the market here seems to support a few, very few restaurants that people deem expensive and a lot that are budget friendly. There are a lot of people who have extra money but they are used to keeping it close as they have always done. Careful and thrifty best describe most Villagers, no matter how big their homes are, or how fancy their cars.

As for "what lies ahead"? This country is going to be beat up badly in about six months due to the fallout economically from this pandemic. I think that The Morse Family who are careful with their money and who have always self financed will be in as good or better position than most businesses.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-29-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
country, restaurants, business, clubs, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.