Will a GPS work?

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Sage

I just switched from Garmin to Magellen mainly because Garmin doesn't allow you select the Most Use of Freeway's. My Magellen so far has all the TV areas I have wanted to visit. Also Magellen's user interface is easier to use with much less typing.....
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Veteran member

The problem with Garmin, and maybe others, is that they change models every six months. Yes that is not uncommon in the electronics world but you cannot move the maps from one unit to another without doing a hack (and yes it can be done).

Just how expensive and how long one keeps their unit will determine if the life time upgrade is a bargain. On the cheaper units you get one free upgrade of the maps so if you upgrade models every couple of years it may be cheaper to buy a new unit and forget the yearly updates. The quarterly maps change very little.

It would also be nice if Garmin would just give you the changes as you already have 95% to 98% of the information already.

Trying to keep up to date in TV is next to impossible as they are building roads faster that the mapping company can add them.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Most people find that after you are here awhile it all makes sense. The best advice is to buy the map, and then look at it. If you look at the main streets and learn their direction...you will never get lost. Even if you do the map will lead you to your destination.
Very hard to believe someone cannot find CR466.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Default Map

The $5 map has been extremely helpful during our 2 trips to TV. We looked at it constantly and continue to look at it while researching houses for sale. But does everyone keep a map in each vehicle and unfold it every time they go somewhere new? Wouldn't it be great if there were smaller, pocket size maps for smaller areas or individual Villages? This is just wishful thinking from a potential Villager!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Pturner;267919]Hi Salybow,

[LIST][*]Morse Blvd. and Buena Vista Blvd. are the main North-South roads in TV.[*](At the present time) Morse Blvd. runs (north-to-south) from 466 to 466a.[*](At the present time) Buena Vista Blvd. runs (north-to-south) from Hwy 42 to 466 to 466a.

Minor correction:

Morse Blvd Runs (North to South) from 441/27 to 466 to 466A.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
The $5 map has been extremely helpful during our 2 trips to TV. We looked at it constantly and continue to look at it while researching houses for sale. But does everyone keep a map in each vehicle and unfold it every time they go somewhere new? Wouldn't it be great if there were smaller, pocket size maps for smaller areas or individual Villages? This is just wishful thinking from a potential Villager!
Hi Bobcat,
Believe it or not, it gets easier. Once you know the main North-South arteries and the East-West connectors you can get to any commercial areas. That's it!

To get to a particular Village, you just need one more piece of information. Which road goes to the particular Village. What makes this easier than it might seem at first is the fact that the road to every Village is directly off either one the N-S arteries, one of the East-West Connectors. (Are there exceptions, anyone??)

N-S artieries: (Morse Blvd., Buena Vista Blvd. and Canal St. Canal St. is only on the southside of TV.)

East-West connectors- south of 466: (Odell Circle south of Bonita, Bonita, Odell Circle north of Bonita or Stillwater Trail)

East-West connectors - north of 466: El Camino Real

[Disclosure: I don't know if they are commonly referred to as arteries and connectors. This is just how I've organized navigating TV in my mind. It works great for me, so try it.]

Ok sure, to get to an individual house, you then need to know the 2 or 3 turns on the neighborhood streets. So, when you are looking at many houses, you need your street map handy. However, once you've bought a home here and you're just going to visit a friend's house, your friend can just tell you what turns to make off the main road.

Try this approach and see if it makes it easy. It sure did for me-- and I am directionally challenged. Let me know if it help, ok?

Last edited by Pturner; 06-04-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Veteran member

We've had a TomTom for about three years and found it very helpful outside TV. However, our newer neighborhood in TV was still showing as a cow pasture. We were at Target earlier this week and I happened to be in the GPS area. I was tempted to get a map upgrade for $70 when I noticed TomToms on clearance for $33. It was an upgraded model from the one I had and it came with a one time map upgrade. When I brought it home and turned it on, it found our year old street but not our six month old house number. After the map upgrade, it recognized our house and several Points of Interest that I know are only about 3 months old (i.e. Sakura in Colony Plaza). TomTom is a very basic GPS but it will help you get around and you can't beat the price. It does not recognize golf cart trails (don't believe any GPS does) and it won't show any areas that are less than 3-4 months old.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Sage

GPS gets us to our house in TV; however, we live on the northside.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.