Will the Historical Area Endure?

Old 04-16-2024, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,411 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherflippinpicker View Post
I like the less busy aspect but I do want to be able to make friends. It's very hard for me to make friends, I'm kind of shy and perceived as standoffish or snooty but that's so far from the truth, I just don't know how to jump in. 😄

If there aren't many activities in the north, maybe we should consider moving further south but it sounds like there's enough of everything. My husband was very excited about the archery range in the north.

There is a lot of positive feedback about the North, which makes me very happy.
My wife and I overwintered for many years, and always stayed North of 466A
You are looking at the best areas in my opinion.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,617 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Our home sold and we are finally moving to TV. To say we are excited is an understatement. We are house shopping this weekend.

My husband and I very much love the original area for its hills, large yards, mature landscaping and the beautiful pool and we love the style of the well maintained manufactured homes, as they are all different. My concern is that this area will eventually be phased out by TV.

Does anyone know if this has ever been a concern?
The developer doesn’t own the homes, they would need to buy your home and replace it.
The developer doesn’t operate the amenities in this area.
They do operate the championship golf courses, which are in the best condition. Hacienda Hills is getting a brand new pro shop, and that area got a new pool
The developer does own Spanihs Springs and is investing in SS. If they don’t Villagers wont come and the real estate will lose value.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDog View Post
Was trying to decide where to post this question so, I'll pose it to you, Dusty.

As a sort-of adjunct question to the original one -- I'm interested in how the manufactured homes appreciate/depreciate over time. When looking at real estate listings, I've been a bit surprised at how much some homeowners have been willing to invest in remodeling an aged (40+ years), manufactured home.

There has to be a point, related to age or neglect, where maintaining or improving one of those begins to have diminishing returns. Would you say that is mostly accurate? If so, what is the general age where the building itself begins to depreciate and it's mostly only the land value that's relevant? Thanks...
I don't know. I hope others who know will answer. I live in a Designer in between 466A & 44
Old 04-16-2024, 04:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
The cons: We are too young to live in the North.

The fun is further south.

We will never be able to enjoy neighborhood parties/socials

It's too far to drive to the new town square being built of East Port.

We won't be able to get to activities easily.

We won't make friends because we will be isolated.

There's a negative stigma attached to the historical area.

We would be choosing to live in a trailer park.

It's weird up there, rules aren't enforced.

Spanish Springs is a terrible town square

Nobody younger goes to LSL

Whew... I probably forgot several. However, we don't feel this way at all. Everytime we visit we gravitate to the North. I particularly don't like Sawgrass but I would love boozie bingo. 😄

I struggle with being social and do need to step out of my comfort zone. I think some feel that I'll not do that if I'm in the Northern area.
Wow! I think the only one that might be true is: it would be a longer drive to Eastport. I just did a Google Maps & they tell me that from Orange Blossom Hills Country Club to Eastport town square is 16 miles (via car), they predict it would take a half hour. It would be up to you to decide if a drive of 16 miles is too far.

A shocking thing might be the older neighborhoods do have socials & driveway parties, & whatnot.

I am north of 44 & south of 466A &my neighbors are extremely friendly. There are driveway get togethers for as many days as you want. Could be every day - rainy days excepted. It would be up to you to join in.

As for the activities, well, that depends on what activities you want to do. I just looked at the Thursday supplement & I found Sunshine Bingo at the Chula Vista Rec Center (I think that's close to where you are looking). I don't know Sunshine Bingo - no mention of booze. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

The rest seem kind of subjective...

As for stepping out of your comfort zone, I think The Villages is probably the easiest place on earth to do that. The invitations will arrive, north or south, it is up to you to say Yes.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I like the less busy aspect but I do want to be able to make friends. It's very hard for me to make friends, I'm kind of shy and perceived as standoffish or snooty but that's so far from the truth, I just don't know how to jump in. 😄

If there aren't many activities in the north, maybe we should consider moving further south but it sounds like there's enough of everything. My husband was very excited about the archery range in the north.

There is a lot of positive feedback about the North, which makes me very happy.
Everything you’ve written is what I’m going through right now! My husband likes the Spanish Springs area and I’m trying to get him to the Sumter Landing area but he LOVES the trees up north. I’ve been here for two weeks in a rental and we are looking. Send me an email if you want to commiserate over lunch.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
This thread spurs some questions for me.
Is the developer the only one who would be allowed to tear down an existing manufactured home and replace it with a site-built home?

When people raise a concern over whether the developer will continue to take care of the historic section, I thought that other than Orange Blossom CC, everything was owned and maintained by the CDD. Keeping the amenities up to date, and the common landscaping etc. is not the job of the developer, or am I mistaken?
The developer has no part in the decision-making process for the manufactured homes. If you buy a mfg. home that's in bad shape and you want it deconstructed and build a site-built in its place, you absolutely can. You don't need the developer's permission. You /do/ need ARC approval and the home has to be up to spec and follow zoning laws and deed restrictions. So, you can't put a sidewalk in near the curb. You can't have a 2-floor house with an in-law suite, you can't put in apartments or townhouses or condos, you can't have outbuildings that aren't attached to the main home, and so on and so forth.

People who buy on the Historic Side own their property, just like people in all single-family homes in The Villages. The developer doesn't own them, and neither does any CDD.

The Historic Section doesn't exist within a CDD at all. Instead, the VCCDD oversees our amenities and water service and the town of Lady Lake, in Lake County, oversees our roads, sewers, trash pickup, etc. Technically it's called:

Village Center Community Development District: Lady Lake/Lake County

There's also a section of the Historic area, most of the southwest corner of it, that is in something called Enclave Parcels. I think at one point they tried to annex themselves, or maybe the county line cuts through there, or something.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,099 Times in 2,754 Posts

The historic area is without a doubt one of the nicest areas in the entire Villages. We rented there long term before buying and strongly considered buying there. We still go there often to play Hilltop and Silver Lake (and Orange Blossom during the off season), use the outdoor exercise equipment, walk the dog around Lake Paradise, ride our bikes around the area, and use the gate that gives us access to Lowe’s, WaWa for ethanol free gas, and Tropical Smoothie. After taking the bridge over 441 you get a different vibe than anywhere else in the Villages, in a good way. The historic area will definitely endure, and it abides, just like the dude : )
Old 04-17-2024, 04:17 AM

My first home was in Country Club Hills in the historic area. That seems to me to be the best looking area. I was on St Andrews Blvd down from the country club. Just choose wisely and be sure the home is solid. Very nice area. Good luck. (I now live closer to Sumter Landing in a courtyard villa that suits me better)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
The beauty of TV is like no other. We currently live in a very pretty gated community on the Treasure Coast. For the same HOA fees we can live in TV. We can't wait! We've visited many times over the past few years and didn't consider moving until last year.

We hear so many cons of being further north but we love the look and feel so much. People tell us we are too young to live north (55) but does friendship really have an age? My dearest friend recently passed, she was 94 and we were best of friends.

When I'm in the southern areas, it doesn't feel the same to me; however, we have friends in Hawkins who tout that the South is the only place to be. We are very torn.

Thank you for your insight and if you have anymore advice, I'm open to any and all.
I made my move here when I was 55, and similar as you, one of my best friend is 98!
I love the historic section for its mature landscaping, more character and real "village" feel. The value of a well maintained manufactured home is much preferable to a newer built and I love the bigger lots. There are a lot more younger people here now too, but as you said, age is just a number.
I like to play pickleball further south a lot, but it's easy enough to drive there. Have fun with your search!
Old 04-17-2024, 05:06 AM

The north part of TV (north of 466) is really looking old and dated. I would agree with the developer, it’s time to start knocking down old houses too. If you like that look, go for it. If you like going 25 mph on Morse, go for it, if you like the lack of separate and safer golf cart paths but rather share Morse with bicycles, golf carts, and cars, go for it. If you don’t like natural gas, stay north. If you like the older age group, 75-85, buy in the north part. If you shop everyday and like the busy 441 area, then the north is your area.
The south is where the developers fixed all the issues of the north and made them better in the south. Newer looking homes, separate golf cart paths from the roads and even separate paths for walking and biking from the golf carts. Natural gas, much younger group, updated looks, south of 44 is the best. Sure the area might cost more like in bonds, but well worth it overall.
Eastport is going to be even better, they are going to put in some cool new things like a dragon boat lake, indoor pickleball, and the same separate paths.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:16 AM

Just be aware the HOA you pay now outside of the Villages likely covers some amount of insurance and repairs. The payment here does not. Also the historical district likely owed no bonds, not true further south.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:23 AM
Default Curious

Quote:
We currently live in a very pretty gated community on the Treasure Coast. For the same HOA fees we can live in TV.
Just curious, does your development have a similar "Bond" set up like the Villages? I understand the concept, just don't agree with giving the developer a free ride to get started. Never heard of it in other states but then I have always tried to avoid HOA's like the plague until recently. Thanks and good luck with your move.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:25 AM
Default It will endure

It will endure. My husband and I have owned two homes and one rental home on that side over the years. Our observation is that as time goes on the manufactured homes are being replaced slowly by site built homes. You are right, the manufactured homes are very well-made and maintained. That area definitely has that bubble feel and the view from the hilltop is magnificent.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:33 AM
Default Historical Area is Here to Stay

Quote:
Hello,

Our home sold and we are finally moving to TV. To say we are excited is an understatement. We are house shopping this weekend.

My husband and I very much love the original area for its hills, large yards, mature landscaping and the beautiful pool and we love the style of the well maintained manufactured homes, as they are all different. My concern is that this area will eventually be phased out by TV.

Does anyone know if this has ever been a concern?
The Villages continues to maintain ALL Areas that they developed throughout the years. This includes the "Historic" area with it's beautiful ponds, rec centers and golf courses.

If you are a Golfer shopping for a home in The Villages, you should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which have very few Executive Golf Courses. Rather, you should buy a Pre-Owned home in the Middle or Northern areas (including, but not limited to the Historic Area) which have plenty of golf courses nearby.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:51 AM
Default Not sure about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
The north part of TV (north of 466) is really looking old and dated. I would agree with the developer, it’s time to start knocking down old houses too. If you like that look, go for it. If you like going 25 mph on Morse, go for it, if you like the lack of separate and safer golf cart paths but rather share Morse with bicycles, golf carts, and cars, go for it. If you don’t like natural gas, stay north. If you like the older age group, 75-85, buy in the north part. If you shop everyday and like the busy 441 area, then the north is your area.
The south is where the developers fixed all the issues of the north and made them better in the south. Newer looking homes, separate golf cart paths from the roads and even separate paths for walking and biking from the golf carts. Natural gas, much younger group, updated looks, south of 44 is the best. Sure the area might cost more like in bonds, but well worth it overall.
Eastport is going to be even better, they are going to put in some cool new things like a dragon boat lake, indoor pickleball, and the same separate paths.
"separate golf cart paths from the roads "

It appears the newest sections recently built and currenetly being built, have more and more golf cart lanes on the main roads and less dedicated cart paths. I'm guessing it's all about money and is cheaper than dedicated paths.

Tags
area, love, concern, manufactured, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.