Wired network made easy in your home

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Wired network made easy in your home

Most of the houses built in the villages are not setup to build a robust network. Most if not all of the Villages homes are built so a network provider comes in, plops their modem/router where a coax cable is and everything in your house is run off of WiFi are much reduced speeds.

Also, most of the newer homes, the builder used cat5/cat6 cable to wire a landline 4-wire ports to many of your rooms. Also, most rooms have coax cable ports which are only good for satellite TV, or cable TV and 1 of these ports is used For Xfinity/Spectrum internet. If you are using Dish or Directtv, you can't use MoCa.

The best internal network you can build out inside your home is using a wired connection. To do this, you can re-terminate all the cat 5/cat6 landline wires to ethernet 4-pair connections (I did this myself with a few tools and testers). The other method is to use your RG5 coax cables as ethernet cables. This can be accomplished by implementing a MoCa network that involves devices you hook up to the coax cable and an ethernet cable coming out the other end of the device. These devices provide up to 2.5Gb speeds which is 2x the speed of a normal 1Gb local network.

So the home owner has multiple options to build out a speedy in house network using a few network components. You will still need a mesh network, maybe a few switches, but then you can get almost 1Gb speeds throughout your house.
BTW: the geek squad, galaxy home solutions, or any of your ISP's will NOT know how to accomplish this, speak to a knowledgeable network tech.

Last edited by rsmurano; 08-01-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,087 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Most of the houses built in the villages are not setup to build a robust network. Most if not all of the Villages homes are built so a network provider comes in, plops their modem/router where a coax cable is and everything in your house is run off of WiFi are much reduced speeds.

Also, most of the newer homes, the builder used cat5/cat6 cable to wire a landline 4-wire ports to many of your rooms. Also, most rooms have coax cable ports which are only good for satellite TV, or cable TV and 1 of these ports is used For Xfinity/Spectrum internet.

The best internal network you can build out inside your home is using a wired connection. To do this, you can re-terminate all the cat 5/cat6 landline wires to ethernet 4-pair connections (I did this myself with a few tools and testers). The other method is to use your RG5 coax cables as ethernet cables. This can be accomplished by implementing a MoCa network that involves devices you hook up to the coax cable and an ethernet cable coming out the other end of the device. These devices provide up to 2.5Gb speeds which is 2x the speed of a normal 1Gb local network.

So the home owner has multiple options to build out a speedy in house network using a few network components. You will still need a mesh network, maybe a few switches, but then you can get almost 1Gb speeds throughout your house.
BTW: the geek squad, galaxy home solutions, or any of your ISP's will know how to accomplish this, speak to a knowledgeable network tech.
That's like changing all the water pipes in your house to 4" pipe, but your connection to the water supply on the street is still 1". BFD.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

I have 1GB service coming in and use a Netgear Orbi mesh system that provides speeds in excess of 750MB wirelessly to everything in my home. I have nothing that would take advantage of faster speeds than this, and I doubt that anyone in The Villages does either.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:15 AM

I have xfinity 1.2 gig bps, with most things wired via MoCA between rooms, or the upgraded cat5 line connections. Incredible speed and never a drop out.
Wireless channels are very crowded with such a high density of houses. If you stream, and see stutters, it could be your wireless.
Don't forget a MoCA blocker on incoming coax, or you could back feed your internet connection to neighbors.
The xfinity modem has MoCA built in too.
Old 08-01-2023, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,076 Posts

Why would I need speeds above 20Mbps much less above 700Mbps?

I believe Xfinity upgraded me to 75Mbps on their side and internally I use their modem with WiFi. I stream television and music and use the internet with no problems at all. Never have I had a buffering issue that wasn't related to a problem on the Xfinity side.

Just for fun I connected my old WiFi router to see what improvements I might get. It has a longer range (into the garage) but I didn't notice any increase in wireless speed. Since the speed I am getting now is sufficient for my needs, the router is back in the box.

Note: Certain gaming platforms or large data manipulations could certainly benefit from higher speeds. If I ever use one of those then I might consider spending more money.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2023, 12:15 PM

I just don't get people some times....like this post. Someone posts a very helpful and accurate ( I had already done what the OP outlined) article on how to improve things in your home if the location of your modem is not optimal for you or if your wireless is not giving you what you would like. So, people have to post sarcastic "why would I want that" posts or posts suggesting the OP was inaccurate. If you are knowledgable about networks already or you have no issues, move right along, as this post doesn't help you. If you are having issues or would like to move your modem or router, it is great info, although many non-techies may need more info. Why do you need to post a response to everything, especially those things that you apparently are not knowledgable about?

Last edited by Cybersprings; 08-01-2023 at 12:29 PM. Reason: correct typo on spelling.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Why would I need speeds above 20Mbps much less above 700Mbps?

I believe Xfinity upgraded me to 75Mbps on their side and internally I use their modem with WiFi. I stream television and music and use the internet with no problems at all. Never have I had a buffering issue that wasn't related to a problem on the Xfinity side.

Just for fun I connected my old WiFi router to see what improvements I might get. It has a longer range (into the garage) but I didn't notice any increase in wireless speed. Since the speed I am getting now is sufficient for my needs, the router is back in the box.

Note: Certain gaming platforms or large data manipulations could certainly benefit from higher speeds. If I ever use one of those then I might consider spending more money.
No one was speaking to you directly, and we do not wander around your house, so we cannot answer why you would need more. But for those who have multiple cameras, several people streaming at once, or many other reasons, they do have needs greater than 20mbs. And the OP was providing you an easy way to get the speeds for which you pay (for whatever reason you choose to pay for it) with your existing wiring (mostly) not trying to get you to upgrade to 700 mbs.

Last edited by Cybersprings; 08-01-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's like changing all the water pipes in your house to 4" pipe, but your connection to the water supply on the street is still 1". BFD.
Do you understand the concept and use of a LAN? I have significantly more data going within my house than I do going over the WAN. So passing large video files from cameras to NATs within the LAN can greatly benefit from 2-1/2 times the speed. I think if people are going to be snarky, they should try to know what they are talking about.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I have 1GB service coming in and use a Netgear Orbi mesh system that provides speeds in excess of 750MB wirelessly to everything in my home. I have nothing that would take advantage of faster speeds than this, and I doubt that anyone in The Villages does either.
And you would be wrong.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post

Also, most of the newer homes, the builder used cat5/cat6 cable to wire a landline 4-wire ports to many of your rooms. Also, most rooms have coax cable ports which are only good for satellite TV, or cable TV and 1 of these ports is used For Xfinity/Spectrum internet.

BTW: the geek squad, galaxy home solutions, or any of your ISP's will know how to accomplish this, speak to a knowledgeable network tech.
Thank you for your very helpful post. Many people struggle with their internal networks and wifi drops (especially if they do not have very good wireless routers/APs. Try not to pay attention to the people who have nothing better to do with their time than to try to denigrate or undercut people who are trying to be helpful and are completely wrong.

Last edited by Cybersprings; 08-01-2023 at 12:27 PM. Reason: correct spelling typo
Old 08-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

We have a winner. Must have really struck a nerve.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	post.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	99520  
Old 08-01-2023, 01:45 PM

I've already done this as well. While I have a robust WiFi network, for streaming, nothing beats a hard line. Since WiFi is a shared service I can keep my WiFi to the locations I don't have a LAN connection and they WiFi will have more.... If you only do one thing at a time....
Old 08-01-2023, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
No one was speaking to you directly, and we do not wander around your house, so we cannot answer why you would need more. But for those who have multiple cameras, several people streaming at once, or many other reasons, they do have needs greater than 20mbs. And the OP was providing you an easy way to get the speeds for which you pay (for whatever reason you choose to pay for it) with your existing wiring (mostly) not trying to get you to upgrade to 700 mbs.
Of course no one was speaking to me directly; if they were then they would use something other than a public forum. Since they *did* use the public forum they must have been speaking to any of the members who have an interest in the topic. I am a member, I have an interest, and so I asked a question.

Before I go and purchase the equipment to wire my house I would like to know why I might need it. It is far too easy to advertise/promote services and products on here that the average person just doesn't need. If I have a question about why I would need this then you can be sure many others on here have that same question. Before any of us go out and spend the money it makes sense to find out why it is necessary.

You shouldn't need to wander around my house to explain why I need more bandwidth. Two televisions streaming, multiple smart devices, only one camera, and two or three tablets/laptops using the internet simultaneously doesn't tax the 75Mbps WAN / Xfinity Wifi LAN setup I have. If more bandwidth is needed then it is for an application or a device or a pattern of usage beyond that. What is it that some of us might choose to utilize in the future that would require that extra bandwidth and additional equipment.

Multiple cameras streaming to the cloud might be an answer - some of us might do that. Multiple cameras streaming to an in-home NAS could also be an answer though I imagine fewer would have the NAS. Some gaming systems would be a hobby that some would have and could use the bandwidth.

Before I need to know what equipment to buy to get 1.2Gb bandwidth to my bedroom I need to know why that bandwidth is important to me.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2023, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

I don't understand why the builder still wires the ports for landline telephone.

A couple of sites for estimating needed speed;

How Much Internet Speed Do You Need? - Consumer Reports

What internet speed do I need? Here's how many Mbps is enough | Tom's Guide
Old 08-01-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
We have a winner. Must have really struck a nerve.
Yep. As I explained. Not sure why people have tear down posts from people being helpful. Addressed each one, plus a general comment to that effect, and a thank you to the OP. The 5 posts must have hit a nerve also.
Closed Thread

Tags
network, cable, coax, home, ports

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.