Wireless Internet

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Wireless Internet

I actually read my CDD bill and discovered that most rec centers have wireless internet for those with a laptop fitted with wireless. I took this one step further and acquired an add on antenna for my laptop and aimed it at the Coconut Cove Rec center and VOILA I have internet service by using their unsecured signal. Works great for me and the cost of "free" makes my CDD bill seem nicer ;D I'm not positive this signal is coming from the Rec center or a friendly sharing neighbor. It might pay to "cruise" for a open wireless signal. I think the term "wardriving" is what this is called. The legality of this is open to debate so till the powers to be make up their mind I'll continue to use this signal as a "hotspot" which is legal. Sure beats driving to Starbucks

Handie :joke:
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Wireless Internet

What are these add on antenna's called and where did you get yours. How far does it reach?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Wireless Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
What are these add on antenna's called and where did you get yours. How far does it reach?
I got mine from a computer store and it plugs into one of my USB ports. It came with the software program also. The wireless plug in card I was using on my laptop lacked reach and this made the difference. Do a Goggle search of internet antennas and you will find many at all prices. Take a close look at "Cantenna" which can be used indoors or out. Internet antennas are by nature very small and I'm considering one for the rear peak of my villa which is very out of sight. The ultimate range of internet antennas is very dependant on line of sight and style of antenna. All the antenna manufacturers have gobs of reading for you to study online. Stay in touch and let me know if you make any connections, I'm curious to see how widespread these signals are and their strength.

Handie :joke:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.