Wisdom of advice on TOTV?

Old 04-21-2024, 04:06 PM
Default Wisdom of advice on TOTV?

I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?

Old 04-21-2024, 04:16 PM

What’s to wonder about it’s seems all good advice to me? So many people come on here with no idea about TV so everyone including myself recommend a minimum one month stay before pulling the trigger. I am sure most adults who do not have a clue by the first one month stay will stay temporarily longer after that but that’s a personal choice. It’s sounds like you have done your homework so come on down and enjoy the heat, LOL

Old 04-21-2024, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,186 Times in 2,265 Posts

We got very lucky, when we bought (2013) we were at the southern end of the villages between 466a and 44, we did not look at other neighborhoods just looked at house designs. We found a design we liked and then found a lot and had our house built for us. I understand this is no longer an option. In any case we ended up with great neighbors and we are just North of the center of TV. We did like the layout of the area.
OP, your points are well taken. As for your wife, health care could be better, if you move before she turns 65 she will need to find suitable coverage, and you might want to start looking early. Also, be very careful about traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage there is an organization SHINE (Senior Health Infromation Network) SHINE - Home that provides unbiased information, that saved us from making a big mistake.
There are some areas that some people regard as less desirable but this is a matter of opinion. I am sure you can find an area you will like and a home you will like.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts

We arrived at TV in 2005. Snowbirds and still are snowbirds. Cannot handle the summer heat here. They say where ever you landed will be your favorite neighborhood. I found that to be true until Fenney. The supporting infrastructure was not in place. No golf cart connection to rest of TV. Lack of golf courses and amenities. Time is solving those issues. However this seems to be a reoccurring theme as new build continues. Ask yourself - how many years do you have left. Waiting a couple years is a rather large percentage of what is left. Health care ? We belong to TV Health Care System. Never had better health care in our lives. In fact the shine of TV for us is not quite as bright as day one (too big) however the healthcare is the major reason we remain.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:00 PM

I’d agree that you don’t really need to do multiple visits to determine if it’s for you. If you know, you know.

As far as where you live…..some/most of the older homes are in need of updating, yet still command a higher sale price. Newer homes have more modern amenities and features. Do you really want to get a new roof or update the kitchen? The right home on the right lot will talk to you. Don’t rush to buy the first one you see. Use google maps to see what’s around you, walk the neighborhood to get a feel for the area.

Personally, I do all my shopping on line. Don’t care for malls and stores. I only go shopping for groceries. Food in the villages is mediocre at best. It’s also expensive to eat out. We hang / dine with neighbors vs going out to eat.

It might also be harder to break into a “click” with people in an established community vs a new area.

As far as types of people, good and bad, crazy vs normal everywhere you go. It’s a crapshoot not limited to one village.

As far as work, it’s a service oriented area. You’re probably looking at $16-18 per hour for non professionals. So are you not working and she will be?
Make the best of your time together in the golden years. Spend it together, not apart with one working and the other not.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:41 PM
Gold member

I agree with you, those who insist on a multi-week, month, year visit, are giving the best advice FOR THEM. It does not necessarily apply to the rest of us. I disregard it totally & I sure wouldn't blame you for disregarding it either. For you, a lifestyle visit & another vaction visit probably are enough. You know you. You know your likes & dislikes & no one on this site, however well meaning knows you.

The bond cost does need to be taken into consideration. As do the property taxes.

I don't know about Santiago vs Fernandina - never lived in either. When I was looking for a house DuVall had a bad rep. Snobby women. -I still don't know if it's true or not - I didn't buy in DuVall. But, I think it is one of the largest villages & therefore probably does have a decent amount of lemons, but probably has many more friendlies.

& finally yes, you are right, if your wife wants a job in a healthcare facility NOW then up north (of 44) is for you. There is a lot of talk about new facilities being built, but how long will that take?

If you are careful in your house shopping, (there are a lot of houses always coming on the market) then you can find: low bond, new roof, new HVAC, updated facilities. Or some combination.

One thing that is often not mentioned is with a preowned purchase you can get a lot of improvements. Improved landscaping, enclosed air conditioned lanai, with updated fans & floors. Improved garage flooring, painted or improved driveway, added birdcage. With a newly built house all of this is on you & it is not inexpensive.

TLDR: Location is always important in real estate. Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2024, 06:48 PM

We’re staying in a rental while we’re looking. We came here last July for two weeks to see how the heat felt. I didn’t even notice the humidity and thought it fine about the temperature. (I came from Arizona where it get’s up to 115 degrees) You can get out and ride in the golf cart and feel the breeze when it gets hot.

The main difference between the north and the south is trees. And the lack of restaurants and other amenities in the southern areas. But the trees in the northern areas are fabulous with moss hanging down.

The southern areas are quite nice and the houses have a more modern look. Grays, whites, and blacks are the colors in most of the houses.

As far as the Village goes you will see it doesn’t matter because all of them have the same range of houses that the next one has. And one of them may not have any for sale at the moment you’re looking. But there maybe some in the next Village.

The main thing is relax and enjoy everything that TV has to offer!

Old 04-21-2024, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Dear TOTV advice people,

My 60 year old wife wants to retire at 62 but I think she needs to work until 65 when she gets Medicare. My wife wants a new house but I think we should get an older home nearer to the place she is going to have to work to save her a LONG drive. My wife doesn't know I am telling everyone about this.

She should know that she can't always get what she wants.

Signed
Mpls Pete

Dear Pete,

I am not in the marital advice business, but sometimes you might consider what your wife wants or eventually she might not want you. If your income stream is so tight you can't make it without her working a minimum wage job and hoping it includes health insurance, maybe you're not financially ready to live here.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,384 Times in 2,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Dear TOTV advice people,

My 60 year old wife wants to retire at 62 but I think she needs to work until 65 when she gets Medicare. My wife wants a new house but I think we should get an older home nearer to the place she is going to have to work to save her a LONG drive. My wife doesn't know I am telling everyone about this.

Signed
Mpls Pete

Dear Pete,

I am not in the marital advice business, but sometimes you might consider what your wife wants or eventually she might not want you. If your income stream is so tight you can't make it without her working a minimum wage job and hoping it includes health insurance, maybe you're not financially ready to live here.
Well said……I hope it gets read. (Maybe twice)

Old 04-21-2024, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,274 Posts

The advice you get on this site is worth every penny you paid for it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Old 04-21-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Dear TOTV advice people,

Signed
Mpls Pete

Dear Pete,

I am amused and grateful for your interpretation of my situation,
and also your gentle response to said questions.
If I make it, perhaps someday I will apprise how it all worked out.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.
I think that it's obvious to most people that have visited that you can figure out within a week if TV is the right place for them, or not. I wouldn't worry about visiting in the summer. People just spend less time outdoors when it's 100 degrees outside.

Quote:
2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously?
I think you're underestimating the importance here. Buying in a new village is great because everyone is moving in around the same time. It's like going away to college where no one knows anyone and everyone is looking for new friends. Driveway parties are much more frequent in the newer areas and I find we meet new people at every single one. New golf buddies, people to borrow a wheelbarrow from or share their expertise with if they're formerly a tradesperson.

Location is also a big consideration. We bought 2 years ago but almost bought in two other areas before deciding on our Village. Almost everyday we think about how lucky we were to check the golf cart distance from existing amenities to where we had planned on buying before deciding. We took a golf cart ride down to Moultrie Creek this afternoon from our village that's just south of Brownwood. It looks to be an outstanding location 2-3 years from now. As for the bond, I would just consider that an addition to the price. Buying a preowned property just to avoid the bond is absurd to me. Especially when the newer home prices are very close to the preowned price. Not to mention, you only live once.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:34 PM
Veteran member

It is not hype or BS. People have different likes and needs. Read the advice on this forum and determine how it will fit your particular lifestyle. I am thankful for plenty of great advice that helped improve my situations. Advice that did not help me may have helped someone else. To me, most threads are interesting reads. The only time I have a problem with any of them is when I make the mistake of reading with emotion. Now, I take a deep breath and try to understand that some may be experiencing something I am not. It helps if I read the threads like the Wall Street Journal. Just information, good or bad.

As far as choosing where to live, you will get plenty of advice. Don't ignore what you do not want to hear. Sometimes, that advice is golden. It may save you from kicking yourself later.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-22-2024 at 02:09 AM.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:59 AM
Default Sort of

Quote:
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?

Each point of advice is legit. The south is nicer, newer and younger. North is more established, more chain restaurants and shopping, but older homes. I was up in Spanish Springs yesterday - depressing. I live close to Brownwood - much nicer. The contrast between north and south reminds of Lowell, MA vs Boston, MA.

Choosing the right neighborhood is an important factor like any move. Choosing a location based on bond costs will disappoint. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

You should long over a few years and visit each season. Newell and south are perfect if you want to be removed from most things and don’t mind driving long distances to play golf.

Tags
months, advice, healthcare, nearby, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.