Wisdom of advice on TOTV?

Old 04-22-2024, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

the salaries here are NOWHERE near where you are currently living. It doesn't matter what you were working as. I found the benefits suck also. No sick pay either. If you don't show up for work, no pay. At least in the field I was working in. Everyone has to take a drug test too. As for where to live, I live in the "middle", but when I go to say, Chatham, I find it much more countryish, roads seem wider, houses further apart. But, many, many more oak trees. Nice for shade in the summer, but a total headache in the fall/winter. Very messy trees with leaves/acorns, and beware of the "suckers" that come up through the grass from the hidden acorns in the lawn. Back breaking work if you want to keep your lawn looking nice. But, the villages is still the best place to live.

Last edited by bowlingal; 04-22-2024 at 05:22 AM.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:27 AM

A couple of other differences not mentioned. Where will your working wife best find other people her age to interact with?

I am in De Luna, we are both still working, and late 50s and early 60s are a common age.

I work in Leesburg and my husband remote so medical work could be possible in the newest facilities down south as well. Are there things you want to do outside of the bubble?

We are in Orlando area, Ocala, Tarpon Springs, Costco, wherever about every other weekend. Highway access was crucial to us. Adding the difference from up north to get to a wonderful brunch at Winter Park wasn’t a consideration.

Of course we wish there was more shopping and golf cart access within our location but the items above were more important.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:45 AM
Smile Age is a consideration. The further south the younger the residents.

Most will be new the Villagers and you get to enjoy the fun of discovery around you together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?

Old 04-22-2024, 05:57 AM

Well, there are other employment opportunities than Publix. There’s Winn Dixie and newspaper delivery. But you’re spot on with what section you choose to live in. If you use a village salesperson rather than a realtor you will be lead to a new section and never be told about resales in the more established areas. That is why so many people have moved once they fall for the sales pitch and find what they want elsewhere, mostly within TV. Good luck. Take your time. Use a realtor

Old 04-22-2024, 06:09 AM

You are correct in your assessments. Beautiful, well appointed homes available as resales. So much to choose from so don't get overwhelmed. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:18 AM

You have an excellent grasp on everything therefore buy when you see fit. Don't over improve for a period of settle in time in case you later decide you don't like it after all and wish to sell. The heat has never been the real issue. No real 4 change of seasons I hated. No more somewhat frequent all day rain I hated. The thing with clubs, squares, social stuff wears off with amusement quickly too. Everyone is different so buy now and know it is easier to exit than a bad marriage... in case you didn't like the milk before buying the cow.

Last edited by skippy05; 04-22-2024 at 06:28 AM.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:34 AM

Seems you have learned a lot in your brief visit. I would still recommend renting before buying, there is a reason people move an average of three times. We moved twice. Got lucky on the second place.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Dear TOTV advice people,

My 60 year old wife wants to retire at 62 but I think she needs to work until 65 when she gets Medicare. My wife wants a new house but I think we should get an older home nearer to the place she is going to have to work to save her a LONG drive. My wife doesn't know I am telling everyone about this.

She should know that she can't always get what she wants.

Signed
Mpls Pete

Dear Pete,

I am not in the marital advice business, but sometimes you might consider what your wife wants or eventually she might not want you. If your income stream is so tight you can't make it without her working a minimum wage job and hoping it includes health insurance, maybe you're not financially ready to live here.
Or maybe Pete needs to pick up the PT job?

Old 04-22-2024, 06:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?
On social media you'll get a plethora of "advice". Some folks over-think before moving ahead. I'd say work with what you observe and know already. We didn't rent first before buying and we're still in the same house 15 yrs later. I'd come through to check out T.V. early in 2008 as we had friends who'd purchased a place here. We didn't stay over-night but visited the sales office to ask a few questions. Later that year we did a "Life-styles" visit. Then in Feb. of 2009....we came to buy a house. We'd done a lot of lurking online before that. When we came down---we booked app'ts with both an MLS agent as well as a Villages salesperson. We did a "blitz" looking at homes and almost bought a used one but 1st wanted to see some new ones. Ended up purchasing a new home and haven't looked back. Yes, do some homework 1st---taxes, how the local "gov't" works....and location too, maybe. From our experience, we didn't rent first and never looked back. Best wishes in your search.
As for the jobs here....don't expect wages to compare to where you're from.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,689 Times in 975 Posts

I wouldn't say you "must" rent before buying. Very few of my friends here did that, and they are very happy. Some of them decided to sell their original home and buy a different home, but they are still happy.

I rented for 3 snowbird seasons, in 2 different homes, and I learned valuable things both times, that I believe gave some insight into what I wanted and what I didn't want. That worked out great for us, but if you feel you know what you need to know after one visit, go for it.

You might have some bigger issues to deal with than which village in TV you buy into.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

People are people no matter which village you live in. I pur chased up north in Santo Domingo because I liked the pre-owned home. I stayed there for 4 years before moving. I moved to another pre-owned home nine houses down on the same street because it was a bit bigger with a larger lanai and a pond view. My neighbors are great. My wife and I are in our mid 70's and our neighbors are anywhere from the early 80's to the late 50's. We have driveway get togethers once a month. If you move to a newly constructed village, you may get neighbors around your age, and most likely you all will be looking for and learning what to do, where to go, how to get there, etc. It's nice to have neighbors who have been here for a while and can give you most of the information you need.
New construction is nice for sure, but from what I've seen, things are mostly "builder grade" materials. Older homes up north ....some need updating, but those that already have updates usually have better materials.
I like being up in Spanish Springs because I'm super close to my doctor's office, medical labs, hospital, and other medical facilities. The same goes for Publix, Lowes, BJ's, restaurants and shopping. We use the golf cart to get to all these places instead of the car or truck. It's great to save on gas.
Take your time and look online for home sales by the villages and pay special attention to homes listed by realtors on MLS.
BTW ..... Most homes up north have NO BOND, as they are older and the bond has been paid off. Another benefit is lots of those homes are in Sumter County in the unincorporated township. So we don't pay any town or city property taxes. The towns of Wildwood, Fruitland Park, and Leesburg are in Lake or Sumter county but those homes there pay both town and county taxes.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We got very lucky, when we bought (2013) we were at the southern end of the villages between 466a and 44, we did not look at other neighborhoods just looked at house designs. We found a design we liked and then found a lot and had our house built for us. I understand this is no longer an option. In any case we ended up with great neighbors and we are just North of the center of TV. We did like the layout of the area.
OP, your points are well taken. As for your wife, health care could be better, if you move before she turns 65 she will need to find suitable coverage, and you might want to start looking early. Also, be very careful about traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage there is an organization SHINE (Senior Health Infromation Network) SHINE - Home that provides unbiased information, that saved us from making a big mistake.
There are some areas that some people regard as less desirable but this is a matter of opinion. I am sure you can find an area you will like and a home you will like.
BUY preowned ususally more upgrades and go with regulare medicare and a supp then you can go all over advathange plans have many disadvantages to it. IF you move in the middle which will happen soon you can go north and south much easier........everyone loves there village just sayin........no need for a 1 month visit. i bought on 3rd day here came with a renter in place........

Old 04-22-2024, 07:18 AM
Default Right on

I built here pine hills then moved to north Dallas and came back mid 2021. I had 2 rules when looking - it had to have a 2 car plus golf cart garage and it had to be above hwy 44.

They want to sell you below hwy 44 for new houses with not much to go to down there just houses. The original idea is you can drive a golf cart 20 min to lots of golf, stores and restaurants - guess what only if you buy preowned ABOVE hwy 44.

Don't worry about 1 village versus another but I wouldn't get to north like by hwy 42 - it's not the village it's the people in your neighborhood. But if that doesn't click for you join some activities and socialize with them.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:31 AM

Start checking on the cost of health insurance now. You may do best staying put till the wife is 65 and can qualify. Most non professional jobs do not offer full time or health insurance without it being costly.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Nailed it!

Tags
months, advice, healthcare, nearby, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.