Wisdom of advice on TOTV?

Old 04-22-2024, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?
Yep that’s about right.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,453 Posts

If you are afraid of construction dust you are eliminating the opportunity to live in some great new upcoming neighborhoods. It is recommended that you power wash your home yearly if stucco anyway and that will take care of any dust accumulation you might experience.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:49 AM

I did a lifestyle visit when they were hosted next to Brownwood. I spent most evenings listening to music and had fun meeting people, which is easy to do without trying. Everyone talked about their village and why they liked it. Point being, no one I spoke with went on about why they hated their village! Of the complaints, the two most common were distance to golf and number of renters detracting from the neighborhood feeling.

I golf some but I don't live for it. For decades, I've gotten in my car and driven anywhere from 10-20 miles or more to play, and I never saw that as a real issue. Point being, there was life before the residential golf cart! Add to that, even if they let everyone in a foursome ride everywhere in their own cart would it be as fun?

As for location, we looked mainly at taxes, proximity to shopping, amenities, healthcare, proximity of town squares, etc. In the end we decided $200-300 a year tax differences weren't going to drive our decision and we purchased a preserve lot and built in Dabney. Having to forgo the golf cart for a car was a better option because of how much a cart vs. car can carry, especially in the rain and at night. As some have noted, being closer to the town square is nice when you want to go, but ultimately, we found ourselves going maybe once a week for the music and we'd both would rather be in a car than a cart going home late at night. Neither of us spend much time at the doctor's office outside of annual stuff so jumping in the car is an easy choice. Lastly and most importantly, IMO, we are close enough to get to what we want in amenities but far enough that noise and renters won't be as much of an issue. So, what we like about our village, we've met most of our neighbors and we feel comfortable that we live in a true neighborhood where there is friendliness, driveway socials, and a sense of community.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,617 Times in 948 Posts

I would take any advise on an Internet forum with a grain of salt.

Put it this way, the top rated restaurant on The Villages Gourmet is City Fire in LSL.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,681 Times in 449 Posts

No one can really tell someone else they don’t know what area of The Villages is best for them. Most people are understandably biased. For some, golf is king, and is the number one amenity here for them. For others, shopping is extremely important. Some absolutely want a new home, with more modern options (higher ceilings, island kitchens, golf cart garages, etc). Some want to live in area where most residents are in their 50s and early 60s. Others want a home with no bond. Some want to be within minutes of the town squares, as the nightly entertainment is a huge draw for them.

The only advice I would give to someone - do your homework ahead of time. I spent five years almost “obsessed” with The Villages before I retired at age 59. Every day I would be on the new home sites. I also watched probably almost every you tube on The Villages during those years. I came for a lifestyle visit in July 2022, my first visit to The Villages. I felt I already knew The Villages and had a very good feel for the “lay of the land”. Decided during that visit I would be moving here, and decided I wanted a new build, wanted to be in the “future” center of The Villages, and wanted neighbors around my age. Shopping is not important to me at all, outside of groceries. I returned the next month in August 2022 for a second lifestyle visit, and then returned a third time in October 2022 and rented for a few weeks. I won the Richmond lottery in November 2022 and closed in December 2022. Best decision I’ve ever made. People told me then the “newness” will wear off, having drank the “kool-aid”. Well, I’ve been here now 16 months, and my enthusiasm and gratitude being able to live in such a marvelous community only grows deeper each day.

OP, it sounds as though you have done your homework and research. If you are able to tolerate the heat during your summer visit, I think you’re in a position to make the decision which village is right for you.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?
Excellent points.

I think that the bottom line to most of the advice is that TV is HUGE. Landmass-wise we're larger than the city of San Francisco--but that was a year ago. They don't build houses here; they build neighborhoods--so we're probably a lot larger now. Villages differ as well: it is true that all Villages have certain similarities vis a vis rules, bonds, amenity fees, etc. but individual Villages when compared to one another can be as different as night and day. You can SEE a lot in a week--or a month. But it takes longer to actually EXPERIENCE the variety in TV. We did the lifestyle thing, then rented for a time, so we were pretty sure what we wanted and have not been disappointed in the least.

Pay no (or not too much) heed about the relative age of Villagers in any Village. Down south may have more younger folks now, but demographics change over time, often significantly, and especially with the Geezer generation. A good example: our particular village came online in (I think...not certain...but according to neighbors anyway) around 2000. So that's roughly 24 years in existence. But among the neighbors we know (quite few) only one couple has been here that long. On our block alone we have a Sconnie couple (don't worry, readers, mplspete will know what that means) in their late 50's who work from home, a recent retiree who is much into local sports, a younger guy and his wife who repair computers on the side, etc. etc. In other words the average age of Villagers in the more established villages is getting younger, while that in the new just-coming-online Villagers will only get older.

Work? As long as you have a heartbeat you can easily find work here. But as others have said the pay will be far lower than equivalent jobs in Minnesota. If it is your wife's objective to increase her SS payment she'll be getting at age 65 vs. what she'd get at age 62, she can do it here: but finding a job with good bennies such as insurance will be problematic.

But as one Minnesota expat to another (potential) one, come on down and welcome! I think you'll find that living in TV, while not perfect, is better than living in Minnesota in just about every way.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:00 AM

Here's our take of how we got here and how we selected our home:

Visited my aunt once back in 2014 on our way to Disneyworld, a short stop for a few hours. Absolutely no idea what The Villages was all about.

From 2014-2019 explored possible retirement places in Georgia, South Carolina, Nevada, and Tennessee. All just short visits as part of vacations, not retirement search

In Feb 2919, visited The Villages for surprise 80th birthday party for my aunt. Asked cousins where we should stay so we didn't accidentally run into her and spoil the surprise.cousins laughed as we had no idea how big The Villages was Google Maps doesn't tell you, and we did not know about The Villages web site.

We stayed for a few days at the Marriott near Spanish Springs.

Wow!

What a surprise!

Stopped at the sales office at 5pm, and talked to a sales rep. He gave us some pointers and info, and told us about the website.

We trekked down to Fenney, and remembered how far it was from Spanish Springs and so far from everything. Met and talked to a lot of people at the Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter squares. Brownwood was like a ghost town with little activity.

On our return to Oregon, told our friends about exploring future retirement options. Two friends said we'd never survive the heat and humidity.

From March - August 2019, we explored The Villages web site, Talk of The Villages, and other retirement info sites.

Stayed in contact with our sales rep, and decided that area between 466 and 466A would be best for us. We thought areas south of 466A were too remote and too far from everything. We

We made a list of 44 homes to checkout between the 466's that we would checkout when we returned in August. We contacted my aunt about our visit, and she insisted we stay with her rather than do a lifestyle visit. We wanted to be sure to checkout the heat and humidity of the summer months.

We wanted a 3/2 Designer, with Lanai facing the east or south, and not near major roads, and not on the golf course.

When we returned in August, we quickly learned to stick with a block/stucco home, not siding and wood frame. Block/stucco was much quieter. Didn't like seeing critters and lizards scampering into the siding we saw in a few of the homes.

We had a budget then of $300-400K, and due to location, no new homes were considered as there weren't any. Everything new was south of 44 near Fenney.

Never looked at all 44 on our list. Did not consider any homes far to the north due to sink holes.

After 3 days of looking that August, we didn't really find anything that satisfied us.

Had lunch with reconnected friends who lived nearby in Clermont. The wife was my wife's maid of honor when we were married back in the '70s.

Friends encouraged us to visit the newest homes just listed down near Fenney sales office. That took us to Village of Marsh Bend. We looked at a few homes in Marsh Bend, Monarch Grove, and DeSoto.

When we drove up Marsh Bend Trail, the Hogeye Sink, the Spanish Moss covered trees, the Marsh View Pitch and Putt, Edna's, and Lowlands golf course (under construction), all impressed us. We liked so many of the homes we visited but were especially influenced by one of the neighborhoods surrounded by holes 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9 of the Lowlands Executive Course that was under construction. Only 20 of the planned 103 homes were under construction or finished.

We ended up purchase the 2nd home we looked at of the 10 that were finished and for sale.

We are glad we did. All homes in the neighborhood are block/stucco, walking distance to pool and Edna's. So glad we got this home in this neighborhood with one entrance in/out.

We love it and our neighbors!
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 04-22-2024, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Pete you sound like most of use on TOTV. We already know everything don’t we. Course we picked the prefect house of us and we make sure everybody knows it.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 AM

The most valuable things I obtained from TOTV and various YouTube videos were facts and information. “Advice” is well-meaning and is helpful to consider, too, but that is based more on opinion and individual experiences, which can vary. But there is a lot of great information that can be found here and on You Tube, and I appreciate it very much.

Things like how much taxes are, how much they vary depending on County, City, etc. How much the bonds are and where to find the amortization tables. How to become a FL resident. Future building plans, progress on current developments, news about what’s going on, insurance, medical care, shopping, weather, the list goes on and on. I learned a lot about a place 1,100 miles from where I lived my whole life. I am still learning and grateful for those who provide facts and information. TOTV is a great resource.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,122 Times in 5,366 Posts

After spending a few weekends here we decided that we would seriously consider becoming a villager.

We also decided that based on the sheer size of this place, and getting bigger all the time, we would need more time to decide where to live.

As a result we rented for a month and glad we did.

Have suggested that to others and if they want to do so great, if not that is ok too.

This is a great place for advise but you can either take it or leave it but to criticize folks for friends advise is not a great way to make friends. Just saying.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 AM

Third house I’ve purchased without seeing it. Each were great for where I was in life.
For retirement/aging, the Villages is perfect.
I only viewed a few self-made videos by homeowners here, checked reviews, looked up property taxes, values, crime stats, governance (HOAs and insurance issues (hurricanes & sinkholes) & all were in ‘normal’ expected parameters.
I never saw the house before purchase, but did get a very thorough inspection.
Took me 6 months to get here after purchase, and I love it!
I felt I needed to do ‘due diligence’ on information regarding the important stuff, and the ‘lifestyle’ visits would only distract me from knowing the hard and possibly negative information.
I wish you success & happiness in your search and purchase.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:38 AM
Smile

Third house I’ve purchased without seeing it. Each were great for where I was in life.
For retirement/aging, the Villages is perfect.
I only viewed a few self-made videos by homeowners here, checked reviews, looked up property taxes, values, crime stats, governance (HOAs and insurance issues (hurricanes & sinkholes) & all were in ‘normal’ expected parameters.
I never saw the house before purchase, but did get a very thorough inspection.
Took me 6 months to get here after purchase, and I love it!
I felt I needed to do ‘due diligence’ on information regarding the important stuff, and the fun ‘lifestyle’ visits would only distract me from knowing the hard and possibly negative information.
I wish you success & happiness in your search and purchase.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Well said……I hope it gets read. (Maybe twice)
My thinking was along the same lines, be honest and open with wife.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:52 AM
Default Lot's of Golf & No Bond in North Part of TV's

Quote:

Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off and you are MUCH CLOSER to shopping & restaurants.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:16 AM

There are definite's here in the villages:
North of 466 has the older, smaller houses, more congested, outdated houses, more mature trees/ landscaping, no separate app for golf carts and walkers, and older adults, and now you will probably have to start putting new roofs on your home to get insurance.
We wanted a new house, more PB courts, younger crowd, separate paths for golf carts and bikes/walkers, gas for furnace and cooking, newer house designs, etc.. so we moved south of 44 and glad we did. We golf a lot and this year, the courses in the south have been maintained better than northern courses (Truman is terrible, Rosevelt is bad, and others around the 466a area are pretty bad.

We play in a lot of groups and over a big area within the villages. we got lucky because most of the groups we play in are in our area. I would hate to move here then find out a few of my groups that we enjoy playing in are in a village up in Spanish springs, in the winter the traffic is bad up north.

Tags
months, advice, healthcare, nearby, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.