Wisdom of advice on TOTV?

Old 04-22-2024, 07:52 PM

I would only buy in a bran new village…everyone is in good spirits and eager to do things and join clubs…we did buy our first home in an older neighborhood…first problem was how much older our neighbors were and we could tell that everyone already had their golf groups and picklegroup,,,everyone was nice but when we moved into a new village the energy was much better….
Old 04-22-2024, 11:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Unless you're south of 44, you're now considered "The North"...

And a funny thing about TV... People do leave and are replaced by younger people... That is exactly what is happening in those 20+ yo neighborhoods right now... And in 20 years, those living south of 44 along Morse, those in Fenney, Marsh Creek, and DeSoto will be considered to be "old"...
That's not really how it works in practice. Younger people are drawn to younger areas in general. Your theory of much younger people replacing areas occupied by much older people doesn't hold up to modern studies about age diversity.

Sure if a couple in their 90's pass and someone takes over, the next couple will be younger, but more likely to be in their 70's than in their 50's.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?
I will address one thing: your wife working. I worked at Leesburg Hospital for 7 years after we moved to TV. We live in Osceola Hills which is 1 mile from 44 then the hospital is about 12 miles after that. So if the south is your preference, try to chose an area easy to get to 44. If you like north of 466, The Villages Hospital would be closer, although a nurse that lives off of 42 said it takes her about 20 minutes down 42 then 441 to get to Leesburg. The traffic on 441 around the hospital is heavy. Both hospitals are owned by UF Health in Gainesville. There are also Urgent Cares and free standing ERs around both places. I worked until full retirement 66/6months and did feel I couldn't participate in a lot that went on. Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
No one can really tell someone else they don’t know what area of The Villages is best for them. Most people are understandably biased. For some, golf is king, and is the number one amenity here for them. For others, shopping is extremely important. Some absolutely want a new home, with more modern options (higher ceilings, island kitchens, golf cart garages, etc). Some want to live in area where most residents are in their 50s and early 60s. Others want a home with no bond. Some want to be within minutes of the town squares, as the nightly entertainment is a huge draw for them.

The only advice I would give to someone - do your homework ahead of time. I spent five years almost “obsessed” with The Villages before I retired at age 59. Every day I would be on the new home sites. I also watched probably almost every you tube on The Villages during those years. I came for a lifestyle visit in July 2022, my first visit to The Villages. I felt I already knew The Villages and had a very good feel for the “lay of the land”. Decided during that visit I would be moving here, and decided I wanted a new build, wanted to be in the “future” center of The Villages, and wanted neighbors around my age. Shopping is not important to me at all, outside of groceries. I returned the next month in August 2022 for a second lifestyle visit, and then returned a third time in October 2022 and rented for a few weeks. I won the Richmond lottery in November 2022 and closed in December 2022. Best decision I’ve ever made. People told me then the “newness” will wear off, having drank the “kool-aid”. Well, I’ve been here now 16 months, and my enthusiasm and gratitude being able to live in such a marvelous community only grows deeper each day.

OP, it sounds as though you have done your homework and research. If you are able to tolerate the heat during your summer visit, I think you’re in a position to make the decision which village is right for you.
Perfectly said Michael 61! Everyone has different wants & needs. I also think that if home value appreciation is important to a person, living south of 44 will gain the most as more stores and conveniences are added.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Dear TOTV advice people,

My 60 year old wife wants to retire at 62 but I think she needs to work until 65 when she gets Medicare. My wife wants a new house but I think we should get an older home nearer to the place she is going to have to work to save her a LONG drive. My wife doesn't know I am telling everyone about this.

She should know that she can't always get what she wants.

Signed
Mpls Pete

Dear Pete,

I am not in the marital advice business, but sometimes you might consider what your wife wants or eventually she might not want you. If your income stream is so tight you can't make it without her working a minimum wage job and hoping it includes health insurance, maybe you're not financially ready to live here.
This area isn’t any more expensive to live than any other average income area. Working a minimum wage job for the benefits is smart. Doesnt make you too “poor” to live in an area like TV
Old 04-23-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

When I had to pay my own health costs before turning 65, the cost was astoundingly high. Take a good look at that before retiring early.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,122 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnien View Post
I would only buy in a bran new village…everyone is in good spirits and eager to do things and join clubs…we did buy our first home in an older neighborhood…first problem was how much older our neighbors were and we could tell that everyone already had their golf groups and picklegroup,,,everyone was nice but when we moved into a new village the energy was much better….
Agree with most of what you say but if you move into an established area join lots of clubs to establish a social life
Old 04-23-2024, 09:01 AM

Golfers shopping for homes in The Villages should NOT purchase a New Home in the Southern Areas, which lack enough Executive Golf Courses. Rather, they should buy a pre-owned home in the Middle or Northern areas which have plenty of Executive golf courses nearby. Also, the Bond is usually paid off and you are MUCH CLOSER to Shopping & Restaurants.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:10 AM
Default I agree with the advice in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsPete View Post
I'm planning on moving to TV in 3-12 months. We did a Lifestyle Visit last December for 3-4 days, in Newell.
There are two bits of advice I frequently see touted here, which I wonder about . . .

1. Many, many times I see advice from people on TOTV, you must rent in TV for a week, a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year, multiple years! to see if it's really what you want. Seriously? I figure another visit for two weeks in July, to see if I can live with the heat. That's it. The rest: you deal with.

2. The Village you choose is really important. Seriously? I think I have the idea: up NORTH: more golf, more businesses. some areas may have road noise, or electrical lines nearby, NEW homes are pretty much only south of Newell, or W of the turnpike, in a dusty area of new construction, with quarries, prisons, and noisy high schools nearby. Otherwise it's preowned. Then there's this wisdom that the people are fundamentally different in, say, Santiago versus Fernandina, I guess some Villages don't live up to the "friendliest hometown" standard.
I lean toward the north myself: I don't like the bond costs, and up N they are likely lower.
My Wife is only 60; she's thinking retire at 62, then draw her SS (a pittance) Don't tell her but I want to see her keep working until 65 (Medicare) and I hope she could find suitable employment as a non-professional in a big healthcare facility, those are usually good jobs and benefits, and benevolent employers, else it will likely be Publix. I think I saw some big healthcare facilities in TV near the middle and in the NE areas. A - - - LONG - - - drive from where the NEW houses are, which is what my wife thinks she needs. Well, what did Mick Jagger say about that? (You can't always get what you want.) TLDR: Is all this hype about village X vs Y mostly BS?
up north you have many more stores and it’s much easier to get to the Moore center for entertainment in the savanna center. If you don’t mind driving the houses down south are newer, but there is a lot of driving involved. Mostly older people live in the further north, but on the other hand, newer people are moving in as the older ones pass away. There are also more trees in the northern section. The houses are older so require more maintenance unless they’ve been fixed up. I myself in every single section of the Villages and I would prefer being closer to Lake Sumter, Landing and Spanish Springs. I found myself when I was in Fenny driving 300 miles a week and being unhappy about it. People might be from late sixties to 88 early 80s in the middle section.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Many views on this topic. My wife and I visited friends here about 11 years ago. Riding around on our friend's golf cart the end of our second day I said to my wife: "If I ever retire this is where I want to live". Two years later I retired and now this is where we live. And we love it!!!
Old 04-23-2024, 01:44 PM

As far as healthcare jobs, there are many, many places to look and most seem to be hiring on a regular basis. There are a lot of places up on the north end for the villages healthcare systems such as the hospital and numerous individual facilities. There are also many urgent care places a little bit of everywhere. Then if you head a little south, there is a great hospital in Leesburg that is affiliated with University of Florida group. Healthcare jobs are everywhere! We bought in Linden a courtyard villa. We were considered the end of The Villages. After we bought the purchased more land, and continue buying more land. So now we are considered the “middle”. We lack shopping but it’s just a short drive away. All amenities will catch up as they continue to build so wherever you decide to land, it will be ok.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,341 Times in 2,065 Posts

I have been here in the Villages since June of 2005. In the same house and neighborhood. Lots of changes since then here in the Villages. Probably would take a good two hours in a golf cart to get from one end to the other. Could have done it in 30 minutes back in 2005.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-23-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnien View Post
& I would only buy in an established Village. To each their own. The energy in my Village is fantastic. Sorry you got a lemon your first time out.

Tags
months, advice, healthcare, nearby, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.