WM Garbage bill unconstitutional

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Default WM Garbage bill unconstitutional

I think that a government requirement that you must buy a service (garbage pick up) from a particular provider (WM) is unconstitutional. Many residents of the Villages are here only 3 months yet they are required to pay for 12 months of garbage removal. Not surprised the MOB was able to pull this lucrative contract off but I'm shocked that it continues!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage

Not sure why this seems unusual to you....we had to pay for trash pickup whether we used it or not in southern CA. It might be the same for many municipalities.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage

It's pretty much the same way our refuse pickup works here where we live in OH. Most all of the townships in the area have set up sole-source contracts for collection - residents are only allowed to use that single company. But once some people got over the initial "you're infringing on my right to choose" reaction, they quickly realized the contracted pricing was MUCH better than what they could get on their own.

I don't believe we've got the option to suspend pick up for any period of time, either.

"Unconstitutional"?

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Garbage removal good point, what about,

Amenity fees,

Property tax,

Water

Homeowners

What about the house that is occupied for 9 months are charges suspended for 3 months? It you want to dance you got to pay the band.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've paid trash bills for 12 months wherever I lived, if I was there or not.
Where do you think it's different?
I don't know of anywhere that charges you pro-rata.

So, I don't see your point except to vent about trash fees??
I'd suggest renting to those who don't want the obligation.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Same here in the Chicago area. I spent 3 months last year in Florida, and paid for garbage in both places for the entire year. The cost for Florida is included in our Homeowner's fees, but we are lieble for paying that all 12 months. Here in the Chicago area where I live in the burbs, it's the same. We pay for the entire year. I have not heard of any municipality where this might differ, but good if you could find one! Perhaps if you owned a time share?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Same in West Chester, Ohio. The garbage people have a great racket. Trouble is most of us need them, want them, use them, and we are willing to get married to them.

Why you startin' stuff, OP? It's a beautiful day in The Villages. No trash anywhere to be seen.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
Same here in the Chicago area. I spent 3 months last year in Florida, and paid for garbage in both places for the entire year. The cost for Florida is included in our Homeowner's fees, but we are lieble for paying that all 12 months. Here in the Chicago area where I live in the burbs, it's the same. We pay for the entire year. I have not heard of any municipality where this might differ, but good if you could find one! Perhaps if you owned a time share?
In MA we have WM. We suspend service for the 8-9 months we are in TV. Trash pickup is not covered by our taxes in the town I live, which is likely the reason that is possible.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeithfan View Post
I think that a government requirement that you must buy a service (garbage pick up) from a particular provider (WM) is unconstitutional. Many residents of the Villages are here only 3 months yet they are required to pay for 12 months of garbage removal. Not surprised the MOB was able to pull this lucrative contract off but I'm shocked that it continues!
Did you know that was the case before you bought in The Villages? What's your gripe? Refuse pickup three times a week (two times trash, recycle, organic) at $17.90 a month. What a deal! Everybody pays and the price stays low.

Last edited by Moderator; 04-26-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Edited out unnecessary personal comment
Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

In the burbs we can chose what company to use and when to use it. Price is about the same you just pick which company picks up on the day you want. Problem is our sub has trucks come four days a week because we all use a different company. So good and bad no matter where you are
Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Did you know that was the case before you bought in The Villages? What's your gripe? Refuse pickup three times a week (two times trash, recycle, organic) at $17.90 a month. What a deal! Everybody pays and the price stays low.
That *IS* a good price. We're paying $32.50 a month plus tax and a fuel surcharge, which brings it to $71.57 every two months for twice a week pickup. That's including a 10% senior discount.

We are in a northern suburb of the NYC metro area.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeithfan View Post
Seems these days that when someone does'nt like the way something is being done, it always is targeted unconstitutional.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM

Which article of the Constitution are you referring to?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Garbage removal good point, what about,

Amenity fees,

Property tax,

Water

Homeowners

What about the house that is occupied for 9 months are charges suspended for 3 months? It you want to dance you got to pay the band.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts
Default My snark meter is alarming

I suspect the OP is making a political point, not really objecting to the trash collection charges. Let's see, what recent government action is being attacked as unconstitutional as it forces citizens to buy a product from a private company whether they want it or not?? The g'ment says we are need this product and to spread out the cost we all must have it whether we are low cost producers or high. See??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.