WM Garbage bill unconstitutional

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I suspect the OP is making a political point, not really objecting to the trash collection charges. Let's see, what recent government action is being attacked as unconstitutional as it forces citizens to buy a product from a private company whether they want it or not?? The g'ment says we are need this product and to spread out the cost we all must have it whether we are low cost producers or high. See??
No political point. I think the OP is just POed that he has to pay for 12 months of garbage pickup when he only lives here for 3 months a year. Hey - it is part of the fees. When he signed the contract it was explained to him. These are the fees - garbage, amenities, etc. Apparently he was not listening or did not read before he signed. Or he did not ask the right questions.

As for your response, I think YOU are trying to make a political point. I cannot think of any municipality I ever live in where I had a choice of utility services. There are only certain suppliers in any area for utilities.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
That *IS* a good price. We're paying $32.50 a month plus tax and a fuel surcharge, which brings it to $71.57 every two months for twice a week pickup. That's including a 10% senior discount.

We are in a northern suburb of the NYC metro area.
Ouch !!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Ouch !!!!
Ouch is right !
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Veteran member

Moved here from Pasco County. Had a choice of 9 disposal firms there. So there are places with choices.

As pointed on the Pasco county site, a CDD or HOA may contract with a specific trash hauler if they so desire.

Pasco County, FL - Official Website - Garbage Pick-Up
Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Moved here from Pasco County. Had a choice of 9 disposal firms there. So there are places with choices.

As pointed on the Pasco county site, a CDD or HOA may contract with a specific trash hauler if they so desire.

There must be garbage trucks running up and down the streets every day of the week.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Keep the way it is. It is cheap and incredibly reliable.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There must be garbage trucks running up and down the streets every day of the week.
I would guess that there could be as much as 9 times the garbage truck traffic and I would assume that many of them are noisy and leak hydraulic fluid, or oil, or garbage juice all over the streets, but you would have a choice!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

If you think this agreement is unfair, you should not have signed it. It is a little late to complain now. As Baretta said, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM

In Vestal, NY we only pay for garbage that is picked up. We have two companies WM and Taylor Garbage.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the trash service is done on a bid basis. All the trash companies in the area have a chance to bid on the service. The successful bidder then has the job for the area that was bid on for the length of the contract. The bid is very competitive and there are many advantages to only having one trash company. We all benefit because of the size of the area being bid on instead of being at the mercy of a lot of contractors with a different prices for everyone. If the op doesn't like the way it is done they shouldn't have signed before they read and understood. You can't please all the people all the time, so there are choices they could have made if they weren't in agreement with the way things are done. IMHO, I am pleased that we have a service that is dependable and that we don't have trash cans at the end of the driveway for days on end like other communities.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Here we take our trash to a transfer station, recyclables also, no extra charge as we pay for it in our Real Estate Taxes. People who want, find their own trash hauler and pay them.

I can see where someone can miss something when signing papers as they usually are not given until settlement and signing is rushed. So, have some consideration for the people who missed the fine print at settlement. When it is sign or lose your money.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
To Bogie's point: That's one of the reasons why the township we're in here in OH went to a sole source provider. Additionally, more wear and tear on the roads with multiple providers, more truck traffic, and so on.

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Here we take our trash to a transfer station, recyclables also, no extra charge as we pay for it in our Real Estate Taxes. People who want, find their own trash hauler and pay them.

I can see where someone can miss something when signing papers as they usually are not given until settlement and signing is rushed. So, have some consideration for the people who missed the fine print at settlement. When it is sign or lose your money.
We have ample opportunity to research before that moment. This forum is a good place to find out almost everything a prospective buyer needs to know before a legal committment is made.

You can ask the closing office to fax or mail copies of the closing papers if you want to look at them now. There are deed restrictions.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Default franchise agreement

While living in Pa I found it just as confusing regarding all the gas providers,and garbage companies...I've lived in different Fl municipalities most of my life and it has always been only one choice and that was made by the governing body..I worked for a public electrical utility for 38 yrs and they even passed the "franchise fee" on to the customer as part of the monthly bill..In south florida you don't have a choice of cable tv providers either,other than satellite of course..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyb View Post
In Vestal, NY we only pay for garbage that is picked up. We have two companies WM and Taylor Garbage.
Nothing against Vestal, I'd rather live here! Did they get the high water in September like Owego did?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.