Wonders of The Villages!

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Wonders of The Villages!

Driving down Morse Blvd. tonight, with all the activities going on, I got to thinking....can there possibly be any other place in the world with 70-80,000 people with NO appreciable Police Force.

Maybe the lower testosterone levels in the community makes for less agression, but I thought to my self "What a Wonder!"

Maybe we can export it to the rest of the world!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM

It's the kool-aid !!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Actually, we have very fine police coverage here in The Villages. That area of The Villages within the city limits of Lady Lake is covered by the Lady Lake Police. That area in Marion County is covered by the Marion County Sheriff and Sumter County is covered by Sumter County Sheriff. Both counties have Sheriff Substations here in The Villages. The Sheriff Deputies of both counties cover The Villages very well. Ask anyone who has been speeding. Any major event is covered very heavily with Deputy Sheriffs. Investigations and arrest of crimes, which we DO HAVE, are handled by the Sheriffs Departments. Since The Villages is a CDD and not a city or county government, I do not believe they could legally have a police department. We are only blessed by the Community Watch groups.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Meant it as a pure POSITIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Actually, we have very fine police coverage here in The Villages. That area of The Villages within the city limits of Lady Lake is covered by the Lady Lake Police. That area in Marion County is covered by the Marion County Sheriff and Sumter County is covered by Sumter County Sheriff. Both counties have Sheriff Substations here in The Villages. The Sheriff Deputies of both counties cover The Villages very well. Ask anyone who has been speeding. Any major event is covered very heavily with Deputy Sheriffs. Investigations and arrest of crimes, which we DO HAVE, are handled by the Sheriffs Departments. Since The Villages is a CDD and not a city or county government, I do not believe they could legally have a police department. We are only blessed by the Community Watch groups.

...the operable word I used was "appreciable" ... they go unnoticed here as they are not called upon that often...and isn't that nice!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM

I got it Yankee!!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & J plus M View Post
It's the kool-aid !!!!!!!
Not a great analogy for the wonders of The Villages. 913 people lost their lives in Guyana and 300 were children. My Mother and Sister perished also, they were injected with the poison, called Kool-Aid.

Each time I hear this used about the beauty of The Villages, I'm appalled.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Not a great analogy for the wonders of The Villages. 913 people lost their lives in Guyana and 300 were children. My Mother and Sister perished also, they were injected with the poison, called Kool-Aid.

Each time I hear this used about the beauty of The Villages, I'm appalled.
I agree with you. I brought this up before and was severly chastised. Get ready.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I agree. The first time I heard the words Kool-Aid in conjunction with TV (it was on this forum) it gave me a very negative feeling. Please, let's not continue using this terrible phrase when talking about The Villages.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM

I think the original meaning of the Kool-Aid phrase related to The Merry Prankster's Acid Tests and the Thom Wolfe novel about them...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ele...-Aid_Acid_Test

Certainly, that was the image I had when I read the post.

5 days until divorce
9 1/2 months until retirement and TV

Harbor
Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I would guess most people relate to the later event at Jonestown in 1978.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,026 Times in 1,207 Posts

It is the big white blimp that has been over the villages for the last couple of weeks. They have hired it to spread happy powder over the compound.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
It is the big white blimp that has been over the villages for the last couple of weeks. They have hired it to spread happy powder over the compound.
Supposedly, that is a Navy airship brought down here from the frozen north due to the bad winter and is being used for training purposes according to a retired airforce pilot I know here in TV. True or false? I dunno...

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Angry

Last edited by JeffBorn; 03-09-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Kool Aid reference

There is another post about it. Some do not see the harm and some are quite offended/hurt...not sure there will ever be a resolution but I am sure the original poster of this comment did not do it out of malice.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
There is another post about it. Some do not see the harm and some are quite offended/hurt...not sure there will ever be a resolution but I am sure the original poster of this comment did not do it out of malice.
I am sure of that too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.