Worlds Longest Golf Cart Event

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

We were there. We're renting in Alhambra until our house in Pennecamp is finished, but met up with the group from Pennecamp as they entered the procession on Belvedere. Took us about 2 hours from our rental until we were at our staging position. Waited there about another 2 hours. The parade itself took about another 2 hours. Had to come straight back home to take care of our girls. One of the volunteers told someone from our group that there were over 6000 carts there. That's not an official number and may be way off. I guess we'll find out in a few days. It was a long, fun and tiring day.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-14-2010, 08:32 PM

We were there and thought it was a fantastic event. Good food, entertainment and lots of friendly people to meet and talk with. Our group met a Beef O'Brady's in Southern Trace at 9:15, and together drove into the parking area. No problems at all. There we waited till our turn to enter the parade. Best part..... money was raised for Wounded Warriors.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Taltarzac
Default 3124 golf carts in Sunday's Wounded Warrior parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgammon6 View Post
We were there and thought it was a fantastic event. Good food, entertainment and lots of friendly people to meet and talk with. Our group met a Beef O'Brady's in Southern Trace at 9:15, and together drove into the parking area. No problems at all. There we waited till our turn to enter the parade. Best part..... money was raised for Wounded Warriors.
The front page article in today's Villages Daily Sun emphasizes the good cause of the parade.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Gold member

Looks like yesterday’s attempt to break the previous record of 3,321 came up short at 3,124 golf carts. But good money for a good cause.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Yep, it was all for a good cause. I just wish we could have broken the record. Fun was had by most, I believe. Should have been at least $45,000 raised .

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

I was one of the guys parking the carts for staging...we had a great time even though the total number of carts came up a little short for a record. I quickly met hundreds of people who were all friendly, fun, some a little stressed from the wait to get there, but what a great cause.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM

I was there too. Heard from many staff people that 4,000 plus carts were there. Oh well it was a goood cause. Shepard's Pie is a great band! Maybe as good as Rocky and the Rollers!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Sage

OK, so we hold the first and second place records now instead of just the first. 3,124 carts is still impressive!

Next time, we'll break the record for sure...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
OK, so we hold the first and second place records now instead of just the first. 3,124 carts is still impressive!

Next time, we'll break the record for sure...
They should make it a free event. Some of the people I heard talking about the parade were reluctant to join in because of the fee involved even if it was what $10 a cart or something like that???

If you want to have great advertising for the Villages like this then the Villages should pick up the tab.

I do not know if there was a fee in the previous world record attempt which was a success but also a headache for law enforcement and/or traffic control.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to cwnavy1
Default What a treat the parade was!

It took us only about 30 minutes from Pennecamp and then drove right in and lined up. Met some great new folks, and saw some absolutely fabulous vehicles in that lineup. I just wish we had known there was going to be a group from Pennecamp, we would have loved to join in. A terrific time for a great cause!

CA, Ariz., Texas, Georgia, Now- TV!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

oes anyone know if we broke the
old record with the golf carts Sunday?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynpage View Post
oes anyone know if we broke the
old record with the golf carts Sunday?
See post #34 in this thread from EdVinMass.......seems the answer is "Close......but no cigar"!

Bill
Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Default Golf Cart Record - Can Someone Confirm

Rumors have it that the number quoted in the paper was wrong and we did break the record. Can anyone confirm this?
Coming close no cigar is a shame when we saw plenty of golf carts out on the golf courses during that time.
This was for our men and women who put their lives on the line every day for us - couldn't you give up one tee time.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post
Rumors have it that the number quoted in the paper was wrong and we did break the record. Can anyone confirm this?
Coming close no cigar is a shame when we saw plenty of golf carts out on the golf courses during that time.
This was for our men and women who put their lives on the line every day for us - couldn't you give up one tee time.
Didn't give up tee time, but throw $5 in on the Wounded Warrior golf weekend. Does that count?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

curly, i think it's unfair to try to make someone that didn't participate in the golf cart parade feel guilty because they were doing something else, I myself didn't participate but make contributions to veterans and servicemen frequently throughout the whole year....gn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.