Worship services in our rec centers

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Have you spoken to anyone at the Rec Dept about your concerns?
I wouldn't consider any of my questions, "concerns". They are simply things I would be interested in knowing. I will drop by a Rec center and ask about them though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
The original post has three aspects. A dispute over having Christian services at rec centers, dislike of financial gain from rentals, and desire for exclusivity of rec center space for villagers. I’m trying to figure out which of those really put the bee in the bonnet of the original poster.
Interesting. My FIRST impression when I read the original post was that there was concern about worshipers being carded, and the implication was that someone would be monitoring who was worshiping. Then on second reading of the original post, I see that the focus is really mostly on the idea of non-residents having access to amenities of TV that residents paid for.

From my perspective I don't mind "outsiders" using TV amenities as long as it does not impact residents access and enjoyment of those facilities. I would expect that there would be some form of fee to help with maintenance etc.

But, I should say it is not a BIG deal to me - YET. I am a newbie here and so far I am overwhelmed by the amount of amenities, and I expect people that have lived here longer have a better feeling for if outsider usage can be a problem.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Interesting. My FIRST impression when I read the original post was that there was concern about worshipers being carded, and the implication was that someone would be monitoring who was worshiping. Then on second reading of the original post, I see that the focus is really mostly on the idea of non-residents having access to amenities of TV that residents paid for.

From my perspective I don't mind "outsiders" using TV amenities as long as it does not impact residents access and enjoyment of those facilities. I would expect that there would be some form of fee to help with maintenance etc.

But, I should say it is not a BIG deal to me - YET. I am a newbie here and so far I am overwhelmed by the amount of amenities, and I expect people that have lived here longer have a better feeling for if outsider usage can be a problem.

You will find that Villagers are always the top priority for use. In fact, you will find, after awhile, that how things are run, are really the best way to do things. I don't drink anymore, but new Villagers who think they can figure out how to do things in The Villages better, may drive me back to it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-21-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

But will the church have a little white cross on the lawn?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-21-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I certainly do not see any "separation of church and state" issue, however I am sure someone will try. It makes good headlines - SIGH.

However, as an atheist I would be interested in knowing if this is an exception being granted only to Churches or if this is something that any organization in need of renting facilities can make use of. (I assume the Church is renting the facilities?!).

I personally have no issue with renting out facilities to non-resident organizations as long as it does not impact resident use of the facilities, and that Churches are not the only organizations given the exception (assuming it is an assumption.)
Quote:
Sounds like a win-win to me, as long as residents get priority (preferential) access.
Quote:

You really do need to make that call to the Recreation Department.
"regarding the use, scheduling, and room rates of our facilities. For information please call 352-674-1800"
Old 09-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Traditional Thank you.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You will find that Villagers are always the top priority for use. In fact, you will find, after awhile, that how things are run, are really the best way to do things. I don't drink anymore, but new Villagers who think they can figure out how to do things in The Villages better, may drive me back to it.

My wife and I are constantly saying how amazed we are at people complaining about things being done how they are done in TV. It seems to us that there is a LONG track record of success with the way things are, and to me that is proof things are being done right.

In fact, I was wondering why no one has duplicated the way TV does things and do it someplace else.

I mean, Tony Robins charges an arm and a knee cap for a course that boils down to "find someone that is successful doing something and do what they do!"

Seems like TV is doing it right to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:

However, as an atheist I would be interested in knowing if this is an exception being granted only to Churches or if this is something that any organization in need of renting facilities can make use of. (I assume the Church is renting the facilities?!).

I personally have no issue with renting out facilities to non-resident organizations as long as it does not impact resident use of the facilities, and that Churches are not the only organizations given the exception (assuming it is an assumption.)
Any organization in need of renting facilities can make use of available space, for a fee. My financial guy has an occasional event with food and entertainment and a short update on the markets for his clients. He rents a room at one of the rec centers. Some of his customers are non-Villagers.

As was said before, nothing wrong with using available space to generate some income.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
...However, as an atheist I would be interested in knowing...
Ahh. So you have a firm belief regarding the existence of god. Sorry, that’s just always been very interesting to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Ahh. So you have a firm belief regarding the existence of god. Sorry, that’s just always been very interesting to me.
Well, would not argue that I could be technically classified as an agnostic. But, I lean to atheist. I come from a strict Southern Baptist background with a Brother with a Doctorate in Theology, and sisters with Masters in Divinity.

Christmas tends to be a time of interesting conversations
Old 09-22-2019, 07:43 AM

Thank you for all your comments. I realize that the public is allowed to enter The Villages anytime. But, I feel that if our, The Villagers facilities, are subjected to outside public access there is no good to come of it. Why do you think your carded when you go to our facilities? It's a privilege that we as "Villagers" have and pay for to have that we can feel proud of. Why do people move to the villages? It's one of the main reasons. Once the foot is in the door anything can happen. Would you like to share you rec centers and kitchens, pools, pickle ball courts and softball areas with the public. This is truly what could happen if someone sees a monetary gain by renting out The Villages facilities when they are not in use. This is really what I was getting at when I wrote this post.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
I would hate to think that The Villages Owners are now going to allow our rec centers to be open to PUBLIC rental now for financial gain. It has been established in our community that the amenities are for people who live in The Villages and have registered ID cards that allow them to participate and use The Villages Amenities.
The Scottish Country Dancing club of which Mrs Fox and I are members invited a number of similar clubs from outside to join us for an annual get-together. We rented a room in a Rec Center and had a great time. Short of dancing in the streets, we would not have been able to do this had we not been able to rent a room.

So next time you see a bunch of people doing the Highland Fling down your street, please come out with a wee dram of whisky.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, rec, services, centers, worship

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.