Would you continue living here after your spouse passes ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Default Would you continue living here after your spouse passes ?

The only two things certain in life; death and taxes.

Although we live in a lovely house here in The Villages and live a great life with lovely neighbors, I personally don't know that I will remain in The Villages after my spouse passes ( or if she remains if I pass first ) or just move back home with family.

Naturally, living here as a widower in The Villages would not bring the same happiness as living with my spouse and I don't believe The Villages offers the same lifestlye for singles. I feel so terribly sad when I see a lady / gentleman eating by themselves in a restaurant / walking the dog by themselves or just being isolated from the rest of the community since they are a recent / current widower.

**Not saying that all widoweres are lonely or isolated**, but unfortunately life dramatically changes when one loses their spouse and living here in The Villages would never be the same.

I'd sincerely enjoy any feedback from current / recent widowers on how you deal and how life has changed living in The Villages after your loss. Thanks
Old 10-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Most likely my dear wife survives me and than she would decide.

Rumor has it an eligible widower will never have to cook again and will have all the females he can handle.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If I go first, she'll stay here, If she goes first, I'll stay, but I'll buy a small motorhome and do some travelling. I do miss our motorhome sometimes.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,749 Posts

My aunt stayed after uncle passed away. She lived in her home until she had to go to care facilities near by and she is still there. She has close knit family in several states and a sister in Europe - she visited them often, but always came back to her Villages home. My mother, on the other hand, left TV when she got more vulnerable to live with my brother and his family. I am not sure what I would do.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
The only two things certain in life; death and taxes.

Although we live in a lovely house here in The Villages and live a great life with lovely neighbors, I personally don't know that I will remain in The Villages after my spouse passes ( or if she remains if I pass first ) or just move back home with family.

Naturally, living here as a widower in The Villages would not bring the same happiness as living with my spouse and I don't believe The Villages offers the same lifestlye for singles. I feel so terribly sad when I see a lady / gentleman eating by themselves in a restaurant / walking the dog by themselves or just being isolated from the rest of the community since they are a recent / current widower.

**Not saying that all widoweres are lonely or isolated**, but unfortunately life dramatically changes when one loses their spouse and living here in The Villages would never be the same.

I'd sincerely enjoy any feedback from current / recent widowers on how you deal and how life has changed living in The Villages after your loss. Thanks
I have thought about this way too often. You know I don't think so. I would take our daughter and move back to where ever our other daughter will land when they retire.

My heart aches for our friends who are widowed and especially during this Pandemic. I think of them and hold them close to my heart. It is so hard losing the love of your life.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I really don’t think anyone could give you the answer you are looking for. It depends on the spouse that is left, and how dependent or independent they are. TV is easy to handle a house, because you can hire a reputable company to fix it.

Some will stay due to activities here. Some for friends, or if they are a veteran because there is a clinic here.

Then there is the spouse who came to make the other happy, and would leave to go back to family.

But I will say if you are a male, your chances of being well fed, and have a active social life is pretty good.

I don’t think the decision you are looking for, really could be made until the time has come. Pre planning could only change once realizing how much your life just changed
Old 10-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Platinum member

Thank you, OP, for an interesting thread. I think about this from time to time. I don’t know. I think I’d be drawn back North near family. Maybe I’d go back and forth for a while before making a final decision. I do have great respect for those who stay. It’s a difficult decision.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Nope. She like likes it here and I could care less about this place.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

I would stay, and I did!
Old 10-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I would move near my kids where I could be demoted back to babysitter and jack of all trades. I loved my promotion to Grandfather that The Villages move provided me. I’ll stay. I’m going to outlive everybody. The odds are against me but Forgetaboutit, I’m going to do it anyway. I’d never get married again. The reason would be obvious if you met the wife. I’m happy here!
Old 10-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

I’ll be long gone before I crook.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Should my wife go before me I'll be out of here and back to Tennessee to be near family.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:31 PM

I think that either one of us would stay. Not that either of us would remarry but we just enjoy being in Florida.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

My husband would stay. I would move to a condo on the beach.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,449 Posts

Interesting. We decided on TV vs other retirement communities because my wife is a people person and likes to get involved in all sorts of activities, at least those that she can physically participate in. I on the other hand more or less keep to myself and enjoy doing things around the house. I'm not a fan of 90+ degrees with full sun and humidity but am also not a fan of snow and negative temps. We have discussed this and surprisingly my wife would go back north to be near family although that could change as you never know where family will be living at that time and I'm sure she would miss all of her friends here in TV. I would leave and most likely end up in a mountain or country area near the family but 3 or 4 hours away so it would be an easy drive for me to visit or help out if needed. If you ever watched "Log Cabin Living" that is where I would be. We have always had second/vacation homes either in the mountains or on water and do miss that environment, especially the mountains. These are our thoughts but as we all know each year we get older and things can change at any time.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, living, spouse, life, recent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.