WVLG format change

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2022, 05:41 PM
Default WVLG format change

Was looking forward to the 60's at 6; 70's at 7 and 80's at 8 tonight. Instead the format changed to something called "Night Track" or something like that.

I am listening to the songs but definitely not a fan. I loved the old format. It brought back many of the hit songs from the different eras that you do not normally hear with some background of those hits. Listening to those old songs also brought back many fond memories.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,093 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymac1127 View Post
Was looking forward to the 60's at 6; 70's at 7 and 80's at 8 tonight. Instead the format changed to something called "Night Track" or something like that.

I am listening to the songs but definitely not a fan. I loved the old format. It brought back many of the hit songs from the different eras that you do not normally hear with some background of those hits. Listening to those old songs also brought back many fond memories.
Haven’t listened to that station since last winter when they polluted the airways with RAP (noticed I didn’t say song).
Old 07-12-2022, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

Seemed to have been a significant programming change after the 1st. of the year. Stuff they're playing now, with some exceptions, seems to be targeted at the people here who came of age in the 70s and early 80s, rather than in the 60s as many of us older geezers who live here (including me) did. It probably makes sense from a marketing standpoint; older folks dying off and younger ones moving in.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Haven’t listened to that station since last winter when they polluted the airways with RAP (noticed I didn’t say song).
Bingo!
Old 07-12-2022, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I find I am too old and no longer the target audience yet again, this time in a retirement community!
Once the rap started and Kathleen Kane left, it's been spiraling downhill.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:53 AM

What is this RAP you speak of. Admittedly, I only listen in the car but I have yet to hear any RAP....
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

Have you shared your disappointment with the radio station? Don't leave that to others to do!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Have you shared your disappointment with the radio station? Don't leave that to others to do!
Agree, should definitely let the station know.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:38 AM

New in the area and was going through radio stations for my car. Love 70's and 80's mostly so I programmed those as I shuttled through stations. Disco and smooth jazz also work for me. Unfortunately radio stations change and I get it about target audience being younger. We had a nice pure jazz station in Vegas and they changed their format to mix in other easy listening music. Was disappointed that their usual jazz stuff was no longer being played but I still tuned in to the newer format when I wanted to relax while driving. They had an oldies disco channel that stopped after 10 years too. I'll also turn on sports talk once in a while with Cowherd or Patrick, haven't found one here yet.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

The playlist is determined by the target demographic, as they are a commercial radio station. The target demographic are people who plan on being in the area and able to participate in the activities/buy products, especially those things that are advertised, for the next 20 years.

You might have convinced yourselves that you really do live in a bubble, but there are tens of thousands of people who do NOT live IN the Villages, who get this station on their radios. They buy products too. Most of them are younger than you. In fact, many of them are younger than the youngest moving in to the south side.

There is a wide variety of people who frequent the town squares and country club pools, where this station is automatically piped in for everyone present to hear. The oldest of the Villagers are being replaced by the newest. If you're in your 70's, then that'd mean you were born in the 1950's. Which means your 1950's sock hops were never yours in the first place. You wouldn't have been old enough to attend one. YOUR music was 1960's music, which was the advent of rock and roll. So oldies, for you, began in the 1950's with sock hop music. Your modern music - when you were a teenager old enough to go to dances and concerts, was rock and roll, and psychedelic music.

If you're in your 60's, then YOUR oldies are the older rock and roll and psychedelic music. YOUR modern music would be hard rock, progressive rock, heavy metal, disco, funk, and yes - rap. Rap is not new or modern, now. It's old stuff.

If you're in your 50's, then YOUR oldies would be most of what the 60's consider oldies, but add to it techno pop, hip hop, gangsta rap, and alternative rock.

MOST people living in the Villages now fall between their 50's and their 70's in age. The sock hop stuff is mostly a whimsey for this demographic, it's not a serious interest for most of us. It's fun to have an "old fashioned sock hop" now and then but it's absolutely not something we'd want to be stuck hearing day in and day out.

Our oldies are newer than your oldies. Your replaced hips are newer than our original ones that don't yet need replacing. That's just how it works as we age.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Seemed to have been a significant programming change after the 1st. of the year. Stuff they're playing now, with some exceptions, seems to be targeted at the people here who came of age in the 70s and early 80s, rather than in the 60s as many of us older geezers who live here (including me) did. It probably makes sense from a marketing standpoint; older folks dying off and younger ones moving in.
That's my demographic to which they are attempting to appeal. We are the younger ones buying-in now, and they need to keep the appeal for the longevity and success of The Villages.

My high school years were 84-87. I was born in '69. While I do like some rap (Blondie's "Rapture," Salt-N-Pepa's "Push It" and Aerosmith/Run DMC's "Walk This Way, and even Vanilla Ice's theft of David Bowie's "Under Pressure," but especially Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" and "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash), I do not like anything that is considered glamorizing the crime and poverty of urban areas. I guess I like what might be considered "classic rap." I wonder if that will be a future genre, like classic rock. Should I trademark it now?

That all being said, I prefer Classic 60/70's rock, 80/90's and current day country, and 80's Top 100 and 80's New Wave music genres.

YMMV.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 07-12-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
That's my demographic to which they are attempting to appeal. We are the younger ones buying-in now, and they need to keep the appeal for the longevity and success of The Villages.

My high school years were 84-87. I was born in '69. While I do like some rap (Blondie's "Rapture," Salt-N-Pepa's "Push It" and Aerosmith/Run DMC's "Walk This Way, and even Vanilla Ice's theft of David Bowie's "Under Pressure," but especially Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" and "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash), I do not like anything that is considered glamorizing the crime and poverty of urban areas. I guess I like what might be considered "classic rap." I wonder if that will be a future genre, like classic rock. Should I trademark it now?

That all being said, I prefer Classic 60/70's rock, 80/90's and current day country, and 80's Top 100 and 80's New Wave music genres.

YMMV.
I guess I'm going to have to learn to appreciate the new music. You know, like anything after Hotel California.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Save yourself the trauma just stream SirisRadio and pick the era you like 50/60/70 and 80’s at home or in car.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,352 Times in 1,449 Posts

Get Sirius XM, it's cheap now, $6.00 month, free streaming, etc. with no contract and you can listen to any musical era you wish along with a lot of other stuff that might interest you.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:30 PM
Platinum member

Respond to
WVLGRadio@ thevillagesmedia.com

Tags
songs, format, listening, brought, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.