WVLG should stream

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Veteran member
Default WVLG should stream

Their signal to the Internet. I have an Internet radio and it would be nice to keep up with things at TV when we are back home in TN during the summer. Anyone know anyone who works there that you could bounce the idea off them?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Default Wvlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Their signal to the Internet. I have an Internet radio and it would be nice to keep up with things at TV when we are back home in TN during the summer. Anyone know anyone who works there that you could bounce the idea off them?
I asked the question some time ago, over a year and they said they did not do it because of the cost. Maybe the new owners have a few more coins in their pocket to cover the cost.

It is probably time to approach the subject again.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Good idea
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I also sent them an email about a year ago to ask their intentions, with regards to streaming over the net. I was told there were no plans, at that time, to stream. They did not cite cost as an inhibitor, at least to me.

However, I just sent them another email to see if their position has changed. I'll update everyone, as soon as I get an answer.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

Boy I would love it up here

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Hmmmm...that's one thing we totally forgot to do while we were down there on our LSV.....tune in to WVLG.

What's their programming like? What kind of music do they play? Any listener call-in shows?

thanks!

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

There is no economic benefit for a "local" station to stream. Maybe for bragging rights at the Radio Station National Convention? Our station is principally supported by local business which directly aim for our Villagers' spending dollars, not those in TN, or WI, or NY, or where-ever else. So I imagine we will never see WVLG stream.
A few "local" stations around the US have awakened to the economic reality of streaming and now charge $10 - $20 per month to subscribe to their streaming service.
For what the play list is degenerating to and given the quality of half the announcers, IMHO, for steady listening it is not worth even $10/mo. compared to what is available in most areas of the Country.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM

When the internet became large enough many, if not most stations in the country jumped on the band wagon to stream their signals. I don't know if many ever asked themselved why. Kind of like newspapers with free websites.

No one paid much attention for a few years, but when it began to spread widely the music industry started to go bananas. These are the same people who arrest 10 year old kids for illegally downloading their music.

A station must pay rather stiff fees for the music rights to stream, even though they have already paid stiff fees to broadcast that same music. Doesn't make much sense, does it. ALSO, they are required to keep laborious records of what they play and when.

So, fairly quickly most of the music stations in the country dropped the streaming. The only stations that do it much now are the ones that offer local news and talk or local sports talk. You don't need permission to stream your own content. Also though if you do national talk on your station you have to deal with those rights.

One other fun fact for small local stations, some of those national programs you pay to air locally also stream or offer for download the very same programs they are paying for. I think there will be a change in this system in the next few years because it's out of control.

Of course the real issue is music download. Kids no longer purchase records. They may pay to download them, but then they share them with their friends. The keep coming up with high dollar technologies that prevent kids from sharing. It takes my 27 year old son, the programmer, about ten minutes to figure out a work around for the latest plan. And he's fairly honest, lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM

For what the play list is degenerating to and given the quality of half the announcers, IMHO, for steady listening it is not worth even $10/mo. compared to what is available in most areas of the Country.[/QUOTE]

I agree!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Answer from TheVillagesMedia Group

I sent an email concerning streaming and here's the answer I received:

"Thank you again for your interest. However, the status on "streaming"
has not changed."

The status last time, was that they had no plans to stream, so no change.

By the way, if you use a program like TuneIn Radio for your smartphone, there are about 50,000 stations, worldwide that stream.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 AM
Veteran member

Yeah, stations may be jumping off the streaming bandwagon, but I have an Internet radio sitting beside my bed that gets a ton of stations, all kinds of formats. Heck it would b nice to have WVLG stream just so I could receive their signal here in the villages!

I understand the local business excuse but I would imagine the vast majority of their listeners would be locals like myself who can barely receive their signal for starters and snowbirds who spend plenty of money while in the villages at local business.

It's a missed opportunity for WVLG and very narrow minded decision by their management.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Hmmmm...that's one thing we totally forgot to do while we were down there on our LSV.....tune in to WVLG.

What's their programming like? What kind of music do they play? Any listener call-in shows?

thanks!
During the times I have rented in The Villages, when I listened to WVLG, it played 60's, 70's and surprisingly a lot of 80's music, also some 50's music. I didn't hear any listener call-in shows while I was listening. Lots of plugging of open houses and contacting The Villages sales office to look at homes, but that's not surprising. Not a bad station to listen to, but I only listened for a week at a time. But I do wish they streamed over the internet so I could listen from the frozen north and pretend I am in TV.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM

They seem to be very happy entrenched in the 50s (equipment and programming), with a part of the music being a tad bit more modern. XM radio is the answer, take your pick of the year or the genre...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.