Yellow gas piping inside homes in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default Yellow gas piping inside homes in TV?

I have heard off and on over the years that there is or was an issue with the yellow gas piping.
I called TECO and all they had to say is they are not responsible for anything inside the house. They also further stated they knew nothing about the yellow gas piping issue, which I did challenge as not being believable. End result if I have a concern I should call a gas line contractor.

I understand from a liability position the position. I do not understand, if there is a concern they claim not to know anything.

Has anybody, that has gas and specifically the yellow gas line had a problem.? Or heard there is an issue?

I tried to do a search on TOTV but must be using wrong terms.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

I did find something in a search including a post by me back in 2007!

After reading the thread I can speculate there is/was an issue with proper grounding.

I would still appreciate any comments from those who know or experienced anything that might be helpful to know.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,412 Times in 2,332 Posts

WOW, I tried a couple of searches, and did not get a lot of results. As I recall the concern was with the corrugated piping used in many village houses. There is a problem when lightning strikes, this piping may fail, aka it get a hole, and now you have a fire or explosion risk.
Try, yellow, corrugated, lightning, as I did not have time to try these, fire, gas and one other did not get suitable results.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Eternal Member

There is one poster that is adamant about the flex gas lines in the attics being a hazard. Maybe he forgot to tell TECO so they don't know about any problem.

You should be able to find something on TOTV - try gas lines in the attic, flex lines, etc.

Try these threads:

Gas lines in the attic in lightning-prone areas

Gas Line in the Attic

Galvanized Gas Pipes in Attic

Z
Old 10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage

I found it! search using CSST, you will find lots of info.

Also, on Google, search on 'corrugated gas line problems'

If I recall correctly, when I used this material up North, I had to run and additional ground wire along the same path as the CSST line.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

as an old gas man,i have installed and used that csst piping and would not have it inside my house. outside above ground its ok, inside your house use only black piping. just my 2cents...............
Old 10-19-2015, 06:29 PM
Callaway Guy

Gas piping? We have gas coming to our homes in TV?
Old 10-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Guy View Post
Gas piping? We have gas coming to our homes in TV?
There are certain sections of TV that have gas available, as far as I know, it is NOT being offered anywhere else. You can have a buried propane tank installed (2 of my neighbors have these), and then use the propane for cooking, etc.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

the house s with pools have propane pool heaters,large propane tanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
as an old gas man,i have installed and used that csst piping and would not have it inside my house. outside above ground its ok, inside your house use only black piping. just my 2cents...............
how do you feel about soft clear plastic pipe in the ground with a foot covering and 5 PSI propane on it.
The way they do things in the south amazes me, the yellow pipe is referred to as tracpipe in the north.
When i told the Sumter county inspector that i would only use black iron or galvanized in the ground to my summer kitchen and generator with a ploy tape covering ,he allowed it. When the inspector came, he smiled and said you are from the north and said this is the way he did his home also.
The problem here in the south is the corrosive salt and other substance in the ground that eats up metals. (remember this was all under salt water Many years ago)
Just a little fyi.
I also used a dielectric coupling and put a anode bag on it also.
Beware of the gas guys in the Villages they are a joke the way things are done in my opinion, however they follow the codes but put there liability out to dry.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
how do you feel about soft clear plastic pipe in the ground with a foot covering and 5 PSI propane on it.
The way they do things in the south amazes me, the yellow pipe is referred to as tracpipe in the north.
When i told the Sumter county inspector that i would only use black iron or galvanized in the ground to my summer kitchen and generator with a ploy tape covering ,he allowed it. When the inspector came, he smiled and said you are from the north and said this is the way he did his home also.
The problem here in the south is the corrosive salt and other substance in the ground that eats up metals. (remember this was all under salt water Many years ago)
Just a little fyi.
I also used a dielectric coupling and put a anode bag on it also.
Beware of the gas guys in the Villages they are a joke the way things are done in my opinion, however they follow the codes but put there liability out to dry.
Just my 2 cents.
My neighbor just had the existing buried propane tank tapped for a stove, and the installer used a heavy yellow plastic (or similar) tubing, buried 12 to 18 inches deep. It did not appear to be the CSST as the outside was smooth, not corrugated. This should take care of the concerns about corrosion. Also, the piping then went vertical along the wall, and outside, this provides an air gap, so if there was a leak between the buried tank and the house, the gas has a place to vent and not collect in the house.
I did not notice the type of piping used inside.
If the OP has gas in the house, I would continue to do research, but back up North, we always used black pipe, and the yellow tape (DO NOT USE THE WHITE TAPE) or the correct GAS pipe sealant.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

plastic yellow piping is made for underground ,18 inches deep is ok,but cant be above ground, uv light and maybe a hit is why. black pipe is also ok for underground........if it has a coating of tar and is wraped.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 PM

Up around Boston... when the high pressure gas line to my prior house was replaced, the gas company used yellow tube (run thru the old pipe) up to the foundation.

At the foundation about 18 inches below grade the tube transitioned into black pipe which ran to the pressure reducer/meter and then serviced the house.

The gas connections to the dryer connections were often the corrugated tube. Typically that was the sign of a DIYer. The plumbers used black pipe.

Tags
gas, yellow, issue, piping, understand, position, concern, inside, line, heard, call, liability, contractor, terms, wrong, totv, search, specifically, problem, result, claim, called, teco, years, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.