You bought and live close to The Turnpike....

Old 12-18-2023, 03:23 PM
Default You bought and live close to The Turnpike....

How distant are you from The Turnpike and what issues do you have with the ambient road noise?

I will be relocating in 2025 and would like to have a baseline for this issue.

I thank you, all, in advance for your observations.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:35 PM

I have no issue, take out the hearing aid and lose the noise
Old 12-18-2023, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't live near the turnpike because I would never buy a house where I could hear any constant traffic noise. Period.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post
How distant are you from The Turnpike and what issues do you have with the ambient road noise?

Take all of the replies you get, then trash them. When you visit, travel to the area you're interested in. Maybe take a cup of coffee, a lawn chair and some snacks. Sit and listen at various of times of the day, then determine if it's something you're happy with.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our third house backed up to Odell Circle, so from 8am to 5pm, cars and carts drove past our lanai. Then quite with a pond across the street and not a neighbor in site. My spouse loved the house as did our kids, me loved it after 5pm. But you could watch the carts and “What where you thinking when you picked that color” we could also hear road noise from BV and Morse, the train horn and clicking clack wheels.

We are now Four streets from the turnpike, most days have zero knowledge of the turnpike. There is a wall, so don’t see the trucks. Front of our house faces the road, with 3 streets of houses than the wall, back road and private property, then the turnpike. Our lanai and pool overlooks the prairie. Across the prairie houses with lanai facing turnpike, you can actually hear more turnpike noise since it’s open land, than sitting in back of our house.

Heavy fog can keep sound close so there is a humming of tires, but inside the house don’t notice sound.

Couple times a month you can hear the truck hit the warning bumps when they stray off the road. Will say not a fan when you have open land and can physically watch the trucks driving on the turnpike.

All in all in a year I have never had a day that the sound was a problem especially in the house or at the pool.

However by 2025 unless you are buying preowned, you may not even be close to the turnpike

Last edited by asianthree; 12-18-2023 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post

We live about a mile away. We do hear it in the morning and at night- but it isn't an issue. We don't hear it in the house, and we don't spend time in the yard. Your tolerance will be different.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

.6 miles by air. We rarely hear it fog and close cloud cover do make it posible to hear some noise.

I think the only reason we hear it at all is becase we have open space of a golf course between us and the turnpike.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't live near the turnpike because I would never buy a house where I could hear any constant traffic noise. Period.
So, do you hear the noise? That was the question.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
So, do you hear the noise? That was the question.
No, I don't hear traffic noise because that was a primary factor when I selected my house. If there was noise, I wouldn't have bought the house.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Veteran member

It seems that if you live near the Turnpike you can’t hear it, but if you live somewhere else people think it is loud. I live near 466A and I can hear the traffic. Not that big of a deal and depends on the weather and wind. In early mornings in the winter I can hear far off sounds of traffic. Best to come down and see for yourself and maybe even sit in your car at different times of day to see what noise you hear. In my opinion the worst noises in the Villages are all the gasoline powered lawnmowers, trimmers, weed wackers, power washers , etc. Hopefully in the future we will have all battery operated machines. Landscaper noise pervades the neighborhoods everyday as different crews come and go with their loud Dodge Ram trucks.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:46 PM
Default Mother in law

If you are worried about noise, don’t move to a certain village in the northwest section of The Villages off of 466 (corrected by wife twice and shut the front door). There’s a train track near there that was quite annoying. That’s in the northern section though. I’m not sure where you would find no noise at all? Maybe it’s that I just hate train noise of any kind.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA

Last edited by DrMack; 12-18-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Corrected by spouse
Old 12-18-2023, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Take all of the replies you get, then trash them. When you visit, travel to the area you're interested in. Maybe take a cup of coffee, a lawn chair and some snacks. Sit and listen at various of times of the day, then determine if it's something you're happy with.
Grew up under the flight path of Kennedy airport and every few minutes talk came to a halt due to the noise. For us not going to live anywhere noise will be a factor.

Only the OP can decide if this is what he is ok living next too and your advise is spot on.
Old 12-18-2023, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
It seems that if you live near the Turnpike you can’t hear it, but if you live somewhere else people think it is loud. I live near 466A and I can hear the traffic. Not that big of a deal and depends on the weather and wind. In early mornings in the winter I can hear far off sounds of traffic. Best to come down and see for yourself and maybe even sit in your car at different times of day to see what noise you hear. In my opinion the worst noises in the Villages are all the gasoline powered lawnmowers, trimmers, weed wackers, power washers , etc. Hopefully in the future we will have all battery operated machines. Landscaper noise pervades the neighborhoods everyday as different crews come and go with their loud Dodge Ram trucks.
That is a big change south of 44, younger residents, are mowing their own lawns. 80% are using electric mowers, and only mow when needed. I may see 3 lawn companies a week drive into Richmond, only notice gas mowing TV property. Soon as everybody has added landscaping and pools, it will be even less.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:23 PM
Platinum member

Eventually they WILL expand the turnpike and it will be closer to the houses right behind it.

You also should think about future resale value.

With the amount of houses they’re building WHY would you settle for a house near the turnpike,
high power lines, etc.??
Old 12-18-2023, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

I'm in Lake Denham about 1.5 miles to the pike, closer to 470. When we bought we didn't hear any traffic noise. Then when we were at our house the first week we heard it very loud in our yard. It is amazing how wind/weather will affect how loud it is. I know I will get used to it since I lived in East Boston very near Logan Airport. When we do hear it, it is loud and constant. We aren't there full time yet fwiw.

Tags
turnpike, relocating, baseline, advance, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.