You bought and live close to The Turnpike....

Old 12-19-2023, 06:53 AM
Default Turnpike

After living one mile from the turnpike for 2 years I have noticed you never hear it inside the house but outside on the front lanai it varies every single day. the wind the temperature all affect how loud it is, but it is never annoying. it is not annoying it is just that you can hear it. what is annoying is when I walk to the high tension power lines and here The loud crackling and popping from the morning dew I would not like that. I also would not like living near a pond pump those are very loud.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We live about a mile away. We do hear it in the morning and at night- but it isn't an issue. We don't hear it in the house, and we don't spend time in the yard. Your tolerance will be different.
Same. Lived within a very short walk from it. At first I heard it. Thought to myself w eyes closed, it sounded like ocean waves. Never thought about it again.

I would drive over the T P on the mvp in my golf cart on joy rides. I wld see the miles long traffic jams and count my blessings an lucky stars that I wasn't sitting in that mess!!

Once I visited a new area of Villas that had houses backing up directly to T P with concrete walls as their back fence. I went thinking who in there right mind would buy a house that had the T P directly in their back yard? You know, the noise wasn't even there.

The sound bounced up and over those houses. It traveled inward a couple streets. Even still it sounded like the ocean waves with a few "jakebreak" gun sounding shots... ok, lol so it sounded like waves and an occassional duck hunter who missed his shot I hope.

It's a personal perspective.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Take all of the replies you get, then trash them. When you visit, travel to the area you're interested in. Maybe take a cup of coffee, a lawn chair and some snacks. Sit and listen at various of times of the day, then determine if it's something you're happy with.
I have lived about 2 miles from the turnpike and hated the noise. The noise changes from nothing to roaring on a dime based on wind direction, temperature, humidity, time of day. You are smart to ask this question. You are only less than smart should you decide to purchase near it. I'd stay at least 5 miles away and even then you'll sometimes hear it.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:59 AM
Default test it

Get a golf cart go down there and just sit by it for awhile. Then cart to stores, restaurants & golf or pickle ball choices you like. I did that when I came back in 2021 wanted to build new but it had to be below hwy 44 so I bought preowned above hwy 44 with a house layout I liked. This is a golf cart community to get most things otherwise you can live anywhere down here - it won't matter
Old 12-19-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
After living one mile from the turnpike for 2 years I have noticed you never hear it inside the house but outside on the front lanai it varies every single day. the wind the temperature all affect how loud it is, but it is never annoying. it is not annoying it is just that you can hear it. what is annoying is when I walk to the high tension power lines and here The loud crackling and popping from the morning dew I would not like that. I also would not like living near a pond pump those are very loud.
Lived near the powerlines. The crackling was a weird sound at first. But I got used to it. Was thankful to hear the power was on. Loved seeing the two Bald Eagles that rest there al.ost every night. A little hanky panky routine they do is quite a show to see.

If you have dogs that walk is the best! It is beautiful in the AM and PM sunsets are gorgeous out there.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 12-19-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:09 AM
Default Noise

There are many issues with noise and or traffic. The only thing you can do is to visit the area where you’re interested in buying and observe for yourself. Make sure you do it at various times of the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post
How distant are you from The Turnpike and what issues do you have with the ambient road noise?

I will be relocating in 2025 and would like to have a baseline for this issue.

I thank you, all, in advance for your observations.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:23 AM

Don't go within a mile.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:43 AM
Default Road Noise

Quote:
How distant are you from The Turnpike and what issues do you have with the ambient road noise?

We bought in Marsh Bend and we're 1800 ft from the turnpike. As other people have noted, wind direction and temperature affect the noise. It's noticable at times but doesn't bother us at all. We're in a house with concrete block construction.

I have a neighbor directly accross the street (closer to the turnpike) from me that sold his house partially due to the noise. His house backed up to a pond (open space) and his master bedroom, lanai, and pool faced east toward the Turnpike. Our bedroom and lanai face away from the turnpike and perhaps that's the difference.

When we were looking to buy, we looked at a house that was within 500 ft of the turnpike and I quickly passed due to the noise. The tire noise was a constant rumble and was totally unacceptable.

Bottom line is every location and home will be different. If you think you'll be sensitive to it, you must take the time to experience the noise for yourself before you buy.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
We bought in Marsh Bend and we're 1800 ft from the turnpike. As other people have noted, wind direction and temperature affect the noise. It's noticable at times but doesn't bother us at all. We're in a house with concrete block construction.

I have a neighbor directly accross the street (closer to the turnpike) from me that sold his house partially due to the noise. His house backed up to a pond (open space) and his master bedroom, lanai, and pool faced east toward the Turnpike. Our bedroom and lanai face away from the turnpike and perhaps that's the difference.

When we were looking to buy, we looked at a house that was within 500 ft of the turnpike and I quickly passed due to the noise. The tire noise was a constant rumble and was totally unacceptable.

Bottom line is every location and home will be different. If you think you'll be sensitive to it, you must take the time to experience the noise for yourself before you buy.
As a newbie, I am surprised by how far sound travels here. I’m from an agricultural area of the Midwest and maybe all the vegetation slows down the transmission of noise.

We looked at a house close to the charter schools and I was astonished at how much noise we heard from the school (across a swath of golf course).

We’re now In Buttonwood and it’s nice and quiet out here.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:53 AM

It may depend on which way the wind is blowing. Everyone has different feelings about noise, traffic on the turnpike will only get worse
Old 12-19-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:

We live at Linden and my Brother lives at Linden Isle. Half a mile i guess from our house and one quarter from his? The noise comes mostly from tire noise. I have very good hearing, was an AF Morse Code Operator, and sometimes when the conditions are right i can hear the sound. When we sit on their birdcage i have to concentrate to here the noise. We have a home in Annapolis and right now i can here an airplane like is in the back yard and helicopters that fly over the Mall. When we purchased our lot i went down and went to the homes that backed up to the turnpike and it was not a deterrent. Those homes took longer to sell. People here are cery friendly and if you ask when they are outsside they will be gkad to let you know about the noise. The turnpike doesn’t have hills so the trucks seem to just have tire noise also. Hope this helps. We would not live anywhere else. Great location and more and mire to be built. Cheers Steve
Old 12-19-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:

We live at Linden and my Brother lives at Linden Isle. Half a mile i guess from our house and one quarter from his? The noise comes mostly from tire noise. I have very good hearing, was an AF Morse Code Operator, and sometimes when the conditions are right i can hear the sound. When we sit on their birdcage i have to concentrate to hear the noise. We have a home in Annapolis and right now i can hear an airplane like is in the back yard and helicopters that fly over the Mall. When we purchased our lot i went down and went to the homes that backed up to the turnpike and it was not a deterrent. Those homes took longer to sell. People here are very friendly and if you ask when they are outside they will be glad to let you know about the noise. The turnpike doesn’t have hills so the trucks seem to just have tire noise also. Hope this helps. We would not live anywhere else. Great location and more and mire to be built. Cheers Steve

Last edited by sowilts; 12-19-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-19-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Simple. DON’T do it!
Old 12-19-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

We live in a nice, quiet established village, with the only noise being that of the occasional landscape service. But that didn't happen by accident. We did the lifestyle thing, then rented for a time before we seriously started looking for a house.

The point being: don't make the mistake of buying online and then coming here. A couple of folks in our area did that: one is totally satisfied with her place. The other, not so much. We also know a couple who bought online in the southern end of things, and they ARE bothered by the noise. Also by the innumerable things that had to be corrected once they moved to their spanking new, never-before-occupied home.

Get a feel for the neighborhood first, and that can only be done in person. Noise is only a part of it: are the properties there well-kept? What kind of feedback do you get from other residents of the neighborhood (those mail stations are great for striking up casual conversations with folks). Dogs barking at night? Things like that.

If you take some time to check things out before you buy, then you'll be satisfied. This is a GREAT place to live, whatever part you end up choosing to live in.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:25 AM

I live two streets from the turnpike. I only hear road noise on heavy fog days in the early morning, so maybe 1-2 a month.

I don't think there is a village that doesn't have noise, whether it is from cars and nearby shopping, golf carts, roads, lawnmowers, etc. The key is to visit multiple times a day and see if its a deal breaker for you. For us, the infrequent turnpike noise was more tolerable that road noise from Morse or noise from a golf course.

Tags
turnpike, relocating, baseline, advance, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.