You can use your credit card.....

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
There are a few ways that you can enhance your chance of remaining safe while still using credit cards and protecting your identity.

1. As mentioned, freeze your credit reporting at all three agencies. It can be a bit of a pain if you apply for credit, car loan, mortgage, or any other loan, but still worth doing. Doing this is even better than hiring a credit monitoring service.

2. Have at least two credit cards. One used for in person purchases only and remove those three digits from the back of the card. Another that you use for online purchases only. Do not even carry that card with you.

3. Try not to let the card leave your presence. Hard to do in restaurants, which is why I almost always use cash there.

4. Set up e-mail notification when your card is used for online purchases and for purchases over a certain limit. Usually $100.

5. Check your online card statements at least monthly, better weekly.

Follow these 5 steps and you will reduce your risk of identity theft and credit card fraud.
Great information!!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
The signature on the card is required by the VISA / MasterCard rules and the merchant is required to verify that the name signed on the card is the same one that is signed on the receipt.
We have had Chase VISA cards for years and have never signed the back and have never had an issue.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
We have had Chase VISA cards for years and have never signed the back and have never had an issue.

I don't carry cash and no longer sign my card. It's not blank and people do ask to see my ID. If a merchant refused to sell something to me because my card wasn't signed... I say GREAT!!!! Money I just saved!

Here is another article regarding the signing and not signing of your credit card.

Should I Sign The Back of my Credit Card? | Credit.org

My bank doesn't sent me messages when I make a purchase nor does it give me the balance. I have to check it. But for those who have banks that do... Great advise! I'm always looking for new ideas.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I don't carry cash and no longer sign my card. It's not blank and people do ask to see my ID. If a merchant refused to sell something to me because my card wasn't signed... I say GREAT!!!! Money I just saved!

Here is another article regarding the signing and not signing of your credit card.

Should I Sign The Back of my Credit Card? | Credit.org

My bank doesn't sent me messages when I make a purchase nor does it give me the balance. I have to check it. But for those who have banks that do... Great advise! I'm always looking for new ideas.
In our case, it's not the bank that notifies us of any transaction, it's the credit card company. Capital One does this.

As for debit cards... We only use our debit card for withdrawing cash from a bank atm machine--nowhere else. Our son was in a situation several years ago where he left his debit card in the machine at the bank. The woman behind him accidentally used it to withdraw $200, got to the store, realized she had someone else's card, and went back to the bank, returning the card and the money. The ^&*(&%$ bank kept that $200 for SIX WEEKS while it "did all the paperwork required" to turn the money back to him that they already had in their hands. And this was a major bank.

So yes, your bank may say you're covered for fraud, but good luck getting that $ back in a timely fashion, as opposed to the cc companies who credit you immediately.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Many countries have switched to "Chip & PIN" credit cards

The waitress comes to your table with a wireless card-reader and puts your card in it, then you enter your PIN

The card never leaves your sight and, unless you give out your PIN, even losing your card won't compromise it.

Not perfect, but a lot safer than having your card taken away or relying on the merchant matching your signature and asking for photo ID

Maybe we could all ask our banks when they will be introducing chip & pin?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Signed credit card

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I had the same problem at our Post Office in Michigan. I think it must be a PO reg that their employees must see a signed card.

Our son has put "Ask for ID" on his cc from Day One, in lieu of his signature. He says it's amazing how many clerks ignore that.
Just looked at my new card that I received last fall and I have never signed it and used it many many times. Just forgot....... so much for signing a credit card!

Old' people are something, yes!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Many countries have switched to "Chip & PIN" credit cards

The waitress comes to your table with a wireless card-reader and puts your card in it, then you enter your PIN

The card never leaves your sight and, unless you give out your PIN, even losing your card won't compromise it.

Not perfect, but a lot safer than having your card taken away or relying on the merchant matching your signature and asking for photo ID

Maybe we could all ask our banks when they will be introducing chip & pin?
Chip and pin will be implemented supposedly by October 2015. EMV compliance is required for credit card acquirers and processors, though it’s not mandated for merchants and processors. But merchants who don’t meet compliance by October 2015 will assume liability for fraudulent purchases—a shift that is poised to drive many to adopt the new standards and avoid the risk.

Here's more about it: Chip-And-PIN Credit Card Changeover In 2015 - Business Insider
Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Ditto on Chip 'N Pin. Which is now old technology.

Here is a post about the "Credit Card Not Present" Problem (those numbers)

Next Generation Credit Card
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Sage
Default Great find

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Chip and pin will be implemented supposedly by October 2015. EMV compliance is required for credit card acquirers and processors, though it’s not mandated for merchants and processors. But merchants who don’t meet compliance by October 2015 will assume liability for fraudulent purchases—a shift that is poised to drive many to adopt the new standards and avoid the risk.

Here's more about it: Chip-And-PIN Credit Card Changeover In 2015 - Business Insider
Promising. Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.