Are you doing anything for the solar events this weekend?

Old 05-10-2024, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,074 Posts
Question Are you doing anything for the solar events this weekend?

I unplugged a few things in anticipation of the solar events tonight but have no idea if this even necessary so far south.

Unplugged stuff with computer chips and will do the same with this tablet later tonight. Also toggled some of the power circuits to off.

I live here in the Villages but have met a lot of people who one down from Michigan, Montana, Toronto and others places north.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-10-2024 at 10:16 PM.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,990 Times in 765 Posts

The solar event isn't going to last one evening it will happen during daylight too. The Aurora Borealis isn't visible during daylight hours.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,031 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I unplugged a few things in anticipation of the solar events tonight but have no idea if this even necessary so far south.

Unplugged stuff with computer chips and will do the same with this tablet later tonight. Also toggled some of the power circuits to off.

I live here in the Villages but have met a lot of people who one down from Michigan, Montana, Toronto and others places north.
I haven't seen any official announcements suggesting that anybody do anything of the sort. have you? If so, where?

Not my field of expertise, but I would think that solar activity that would affect your computer and electrical panel would also shut down your car, appliances, and more importantly the power grid. I guess we'll find out in our experiment---your "stuff' is shut down, mine will remain on.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:34 AM
Gold member

Agree
Nothing to see here. Usually there is some big hype (like the eclipse) all over the cycles. Business as usual.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The solar event isn't going to last one evening it will happen during daylight too. The Aurora Borealis isn't visible during daylight hours.
I just watched the news where people saw the aurora all the way down in south florida last night.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Granddaughter sent us pics from our house in MI. She live streamed to her uncle that lived in Fairbanks. He was Pretty impressed with the show, from MI.

His stream from SC wasn’t as bright but very visible.
Youngest in Louisville, had some views, but cloud cover and didn’t travel far enough from city lights

Old 05-11-2024, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,543 Posts

I think that I'll have another cup of coffee and a berry muffin. 😴

Old 05-11-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

Amazing Northern Lights display in UK last night, right down to South coast.
Extremely rare occurrence in Southern Britain.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,353 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Amazing Northern Lights display in UK last night, right down to South coast.
Extremely rare occurrence in Southern Britain.
Sounds cool. South Florida had some Northern Lights but this was by the coast. We need to be away from the city lights to see anything.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

I remember Y2K, a big nothing burger !

Old 05-11-2024, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Makes me want to party like it's 1999. Got a lion in my pocket, and, sorry but he's fast asleep.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:24 AM

Nothing to do. The strongest part happened 2 days ago. Adverse effects, mostly communications via radio, are already waning. Yes, the auroras will be visible further south than normal for a few more days, but there's no need to worry about power grid, appliances, etc. Those are just scare stories by news readers.

Find actual details at Space Weather by SolarHam

Old 05-13-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
Nothing to do. The strongest part happened 2 days ago. Adverse effects, mostly communications via radio...

Find actual details at Space Weather by SolarHam
'bobeaston' is mostly correct. The initial solar flare (flares in this case) are electromagnetic radiation that travel the 93 million miles from the Sun to Earth in about 8 and 1/3 minutes causing additional ionization and enhanced absorption of the electromagnetic (EM) waves in the ionosphere leading to partial or even total radio fade-outs on the Sun facing side of Earth. It takes 2-3 days for the particulate matter to travel the distance to the Earth's magnetosphere to affect it (if there is a mass ejection directed to Earth) and cause the visual phenomena we see as the Aurora which can also cause electrical disruptions on the ground.

This was a defining storm as it had characteristics of the one that caused all the electrical disruptions of the great solar event of September 1, 1859 called 'the Carrington event'.

The Carrington Event: History's greatest solar storm | Space

Did not see any reports of problems like then happening now thank goodness.

Here is another site for space weather info. Look for the graphic showing the Auroral circle.

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

BTW, you can still see the sunspot that caused all this activity. Get out your eclipse glasses and take a look before it rotates out of sight. It is shown on the SpaceWeather.com page. It is huge, you cannot miss it.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Good thing the world spent billions of dollars fixing software and replacing outdated computers to avoid the disaster that would have happened otherwise.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Experienced them when stationed At RAF Chicksands. We just transferred Morse to San Vito. Provided some down time.

Tags
unplugged, tonight, solar, events, south

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.