Are you happy you made The Villages your retirement home?

Old 05-22-2024, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,733 Times in 3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Raised ranches with the garage underneath the main level is not what I would ever want. You have to go up a flight of stairs to get to the main level of the home from the garage. No thank you. Hubby and I, while house hunting up north, were shown a home that had a really nice floor plan. Come time to see the garage, we had to go down a flight of stairs. I vetoed that house so fast your head would spin. We walked out immediately.
I don't like raised ranches either. But they're an example of a house where you can have the house on a smaller lot of land and still accommodate the garage, and not have to see "a garage with a little house attached." Which is why I mentioned them at all.

There are lots of other examples but myopic's gonna myopic.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

I would have never thought in 1995 that in 2024 I would have been living in Florida for 29 years.

Most of the years before that were in Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorado and Utah. With first almost ten years in my native Wisconsin.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:16 PM

Been here over a year .
Simple answer: if I won 50 million in the lottery I would still live here.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwanajim View Post
Been here over a year .
Simple answer: if I won 50 million in the lottery I would still live here.
I might too but would not tell anyone that I had won anything big.

A neighbor a number of years ago won $100,000 promptly moved out of the Villages. Not a close neighbor. They lived a few blocks over.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:39 AM
Default Nit picking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Or nestled on a low plateau of the Smoky Mountains at the SC/TN border somewhere.
Know exactly where you mean and love that region but my pedantry forces me to point out that SC and TN just don't quite "adjoin". :-) The drive along 64 up yonder is one of my favorites. Am told that Highlands is in what is considered to be a rain forest. Maybe NC/TN border - also wonderful. Found these "three state junctions". Might have to go make that drive. Google Maps

Last edited by mntlblok; 05-23-2024 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Added a road-trip map
Old 05-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,735 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Not sure we are talking about the same place. Spring is Nice? Really? We have had snow in May. Even this year which was relatively nice most days are in the 50s and rainy. You have to take a jacket to the 4th of July fireworks. It is nice most of June through September. But then October back to Jackets. Overall it is my home state, but I like Florida way better.

I do not understand the love for basements. Everyone I know who has one has had flooding in it. One thing I like about TV is no basement
I still spend my summers in the Finger Lakes region of NY, and we have delightful Springs here. But they don't happen until mid-June. Last year, on May 18, I looked across the lake at the many vineyards, and they were lighting fires trying to mitigate crop damage due to a heavy frost. That's "Spring" in Western NY.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Actually, it is just that simple. In fact, it is easier than when you came here. You can easily research other communities in Florida because they are just a car drive away.
No it isn't as simple as that. Have to sell and then buy at an inflated price, so you are probably in the hole. Not to mention the exorbitant closing cost. Moving is expensive. Perhaps you have money to burn, I dont.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post
No it isn't as simple as that. Have to sell and then buy at an inflated price, so you are probably in the hole. Not to mention the exorbitant closing cost. Moving is expensive. Perhaps you have money to burn, I dont.
Moving costs can easily be covered by choosing a community where the properties are lower priced. There are many. I truly hope that you consider seeking happiness rather than remaining in a place that you are dis-satisfied with. Life is too short.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,193 Times in 595 Posts

After moving to Florida:

Do you have less friends?
Have less options for going out?
Feel unsafe?
Do you drive past unkept homes?
Do you belong to less clubs and their activities?
Do you enjoy winter months less?
Do you see grey skies most of the time?

My answer is no.

Even better is the fact that we live in the center of the state. Hurricane storm surge is a zero issue and we get the warm weather.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 05-23-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,733 Times in 3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
Know exactly where you mean and love that region but my pedantry forces me to point out that SC and TN just don't quite "adjoin". :-) The drive along 64 up yonder is one of my favorites. Am told that Highlands is in what is considered to be a rain forest. Maybe NC/TN border - also wonderful. Found these "three state junctions". Might have to go make that drive. Google Maps
Could you imagine? Instead of going to the lakes to enjoy some truly local fried gator, you'd go to the roadside grill for local venison stew and bison burgers. No need to stock the retention pond - there's plenty of fly-fishing on the creek behind the rec center.

Want some exercise? Take your pick of walking trails - each has its own difficulty level. And when you look outside the picture window in your back yard you don't see a row of electric towers at the far edge of the golf course, you see the rise of mountains instead.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Could you imagine? Instead of going to the lakes to enjoy some truly local fried gator, you'd go to the roadside grill for local venison stew and bison burgers. No need to stock the retention pond - there's plenty of fly-fishing on the creek behind the rec center.

Want some exercise? Take your pick of walking trails - each has its own difficulty level. And when you look outside the picture window in your back yard you don't see a row of electric towers at the far edge of the golf course, you see the rise of mountains instead.
I just sold the place you describe and bought in the Villages.....
Old 05-23-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntlblok View Post
I wouldn't call it a rainforest but there are times it rains with some force, nothing like we've seen here. The big difference is here the water soaks in and is spread out. Up there it doesn't soak in as much and it all runs into the valley, after you concentrate all that rain it gets ugly fast.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20240523_084343.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	104229  
Old 05-23-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
roadside grill for local venison stew and bison burgers....... look outside the picture window in your back yard
Sorry, no venison stew or bison there. Barbeque bologna is as exotic as it gets.

I'll attach a pic of my back deck view and of my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_183457.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	104231   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20211111_135510.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	104232  
Old 05-23-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Sorry, no venison stew or bison there. Barbeque bologna is as exotic as it gets.

You are one lucky guy. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,421 Times in 5,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post

Nice pictures. Do not want people to say I am full of boloney so will pass on that

Tags
community, happy, villages, beautiful, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.