Are you happy you made The Villages your retirement home?

Old 05-21-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,364 Posts

Our first stay was 2007, when LSL was a fledgling and the hot spot was SS, and every year, we were amazed at the new growth. One a fan of the Florida weather, me not so much. I love change of seasons, the first snow, enjoy the sparkling white stuff till it turns muddy brown. So we continue to travel to our northern home. We considered living on a sailboat for retirement, but it couldn’t work.

We have gone with the new growth every few years, buying farther south each time, escaping the 6’s, to accommodate our life style. Now south of 44, doesn’t mean it’s our forever home, life choices make new beginnings
Old 05-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,349 Times in 560 Posts

OBB: You “hate” thirteen times in your well written piece about The Villages. Hate is a rather harsh word IMHO. However, your passionate opinion is welcome here. Packer fan mentioned the Historical Side infrastructure. Does that concern you? Florida is quite different from where I grew up too. With the advent of affordable air conditioning in the late 60’s and early 70’s, Florida’s popularity has exceeded most expectations. How many of us would call The Villages home without air conditioning? We still travel north for a couple of months to visit and get away from the humidity and heat. Other residents vacation and visit in the summer too.
The major concerns I hear from Village residents is too much quick growth and the growth has created significant medical shortages in The Villages. I believe the Developer is aware of the problem and has been working hard to address it. By the way, this issue of medical care goes well beyond the borders of The Villages.
Not everyone is on board with growth or change. I happen to like the “new” rather than the status quo. The Villages has much to offer now and the future is exciting and bright. Fore!
Old 05-21-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,130 Times in 4,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Income taxes don't affect me, I don't work and have no major investments.

I hate the weather, I hate the politics, I hate the overly-obnoxious "where woke goes to die" rhetoric ......
Well, speaking for myself, income taxes in NY were killing me, I love the weather, I love the politics, and I especially love the phrase "Florida is where woke comes to die"

I wonder what the results of a poll along those lines would yield.

But I do wholeheartedly agree with you about the pizza.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
Decries 'hatred' that is manifest in people who live in Florida.
Uses "I hate" a dozen times.
Yea. If I had three "I hate...", I would be looking to relocate.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,166 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post

As far as infrastructure, seems a LOT better to me than most places, especially Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, and New Jersey (the only states I have lived in).
Infrastructure maybe but I was born and raised in Wisconsin for 75 years and there's nothing like the Midwest in spring, summer, and fall.

Just to bad the good Lord made 6 months of spring, summer, and fall up there
and 6 months of winter.

In my younger days in Wisconsin I own 6 boats, fished Lake Michigan, wolf and Fox rivers.
Iced fished, hiked and camped the state parks, cross country skied, rode my Goldwing everywhere, raised our adopted son, made a good living, attended many Packer games and now it is a change of scenery in my old age, no more snow to drive in, walk in, or drive in.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...1&d=1716321907
Attached Images
Old 05-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,709 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
Decries 'hatred' that is manifest in people who live in Florida.
Uses "I hate" a dozen times.
That is a great and very funny comment!!
Old 05-21-2024, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,336 Times in 2,856 Posts

We are very happy with our decision and would most definitely do it again. We probably would not have gotten a home in Florida if the Villages didn’t exist. Traveling throughout the state, we haven’t seen anyplace besides the Villages that called out to us. The lifestyle in the bubble is very unique and suites our needs and desires well. My two biggest wishes would be that there was significantly better health care available in the area and that we could spend more time there. Dam those pesky responsibilities : (
Old 05-21-2024, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I hate the weather, I hate the politics, I hate the overly-obnoxious "where woke goes to die" rhetoric of hatred, mistrust, misinformation, and ignorance. Yes, that ignorance exists in every state. But it isn't celebrated quite so brazenly as it is here in this state.

In Central Florida specifically, I hate that I can't find a decent pizza. I hate that fried whole belly clams are $35 and up, IF you can find a place that has them on the menu. I hate the lack of ethnic diversity. I hate that everyone gets cremated, and when you type "cemetery near me" or "graveyard near me" you get crematoriums and memorial gardens for results with the Baldwin Brothers at the top of the list. Where I come from, graveyards are chock full of American history, and are very peaceful places to just sit and reflect on life.

I hate that there aren't any town greens, which is arguably over specific, but I come from the home of the first Town Green in the country so I'm biased.

I hate that people think a 20-year-old home is "old." I hate the mentality behind that. Again - where I come from - an "old" home was built prior to 1925, and there are thousands of them in the New England area that function just fine, are well-insulated, have withstood dozens of nor'easters, and are beautiful. I hate the overdevelopment of what was once beautiful swampland. Development, I'm all for. Overdevelopment, see traffic jam #99972, Turnpike Exit Detour #49297, and sinkhole #2721.

I hate that homes sit on cement slabs, with no basements. One thing in particular, which to me is just really WEIRD: I hate that all these developments - not just The Villages - feature their garages as the most prominent visual when you are looking at houses. The garages are all out in front of the house, not behind or beside it. That is just - really really weird to me.
I applaud your honesty. Not liking CERTAIN things in your community does not make you an unhappy person. Apparently, you have lived and experienced different lifestyles. The Villages does not match up PERFECTLY or BETTER than your experiences. It is okay to grumble. Maybe, hidden under your dislikes is a solution to make the Villages better. We all live, learn, and try to expand our horizons.. This doesn't make any of us MISERABLE human beings.

You can tell by my last paragraph, I do not understand those who believe the Villages is HEAVEN. Your choice. But, don't call out others for not seeing things the way you do. Every community has room for improvement. Those who discuss wanted improvements are ONLY GIVING THEIR OPINION. There is no need to rake anyone under the coals. Last time I checked, this is an open forum. If you desire to read only what you want to hear, I suggest writing notes to yourself. This way, you will not be disappointed by others who do not see the world or the Villages the same as you.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,732 Times in 3,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
I applaud your honesty. Not liking CERTAIN things in your community does not make you an unhappy person. Apparently, you have lived and experienced different lifestyles. The Villages does not match up PERFECTLY or BETTER than your experiences. It is okay to grumble. Maybe, hidden under your dislikes is a solution to make the Villages better. We all live, learn, and try to expand our horizons.. This doesn't make any of us MISERABLE human beings.

You can tell by my last paragraph, I do not understand those who believe the Villages is HEAVEN. Your choice. But, don't call out others for not seeing things the way you do. Every community has room for improvement. Those who discuss wanted improvements are ONLY GIVING THEIR OPINION. There is no need to rake anyone under the coals. Last time I checked, this is an open forum. If you desire to read only what you want to hear, I suggest writing notes to yourself. This way, you will not be disappointed by others who do not see the world or the Villages the same as you.
I think the Villages would be improved if it was somewhere other than Florida. I imagine a Villages in Albuquerque would be amazing. Or nestled on a low plateau of the Smoky Mountains at the SC/TN border somewhere.

As for all my hates, I posted it because someone asked me directly in this thread, after I said that I enjoyed The Villages, but hated Florida. They asked what about Florida did I hate. So I answered. Perhaps people who don't like hearing answers to questions, shouldn't read publicly accessible forums on the internet. Hurts them in their feelings place, apparently.

Thanks Margaret for your understanding. It's a rare gift around these parts.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I think the Villages would be improved if it was somewhere other than Florida. I imagine a Villages in Albuquerque would be amazing. Or nestled on a low plateau of the Smoky Mountains at the SC/TN border somewhere.

As for all my hates, I posted it because someone asked me directly in this thread, after I said that I enjoyed The Villages, but hated Florida. They asked what about Florida did I hate. So I answered. Perhaps people who don't like hearing answers to questions, shouldn't read publicly accessible forums on the internet. Hurts them in their feelings place, apparently.

Thanks Margaret for your understanding. It's a rare gift around these parts.
I don't agree with 95% of what you said, but you feel how you feel and that's cool with me. TV and Florida is not a good fit for everybody. Just like Indiana is not for everybody. But there's a happy place for everyone, you just have to find it.

We love TV and Florida for many of the reasons already mentioned here. The politcs in Florida are fine with us, but I understand for some it's not their cup of tea.

The great thing about this beautiful country we call home, is having the freedom to choose where we want to retire and what is the best fit. No place is perfect.

Last edited by MX rider; 05-22-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
It’s possible to get the impression from certain posts on TOTV that some people are less than happy and content to be living in TV. Though no community is “perfect”, The Villages is a one-of-a-kind community beyond compare in my opinion. I feel so fortunate and blessed first of all to been able to have retired early in life, and secondly to be able to reside in such a beautiful and vibrant community, with mostly highly positive residents and neighbors. For me, it only take one trip outside “the bubble” to realize how special TV is.
Not really, but my wife is happy. We have two grandkids in Orlando, so that helps.plus we enjoy golf. I would rather be on the river.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:

I hate the weather, I hate the politics, I hate the overly-obnoxious "where woke goes to die" rhetoric of hatred, mistrust, misinformation, and ignorance. Yes, that ignorance exists in every state. But it isn't celebrated quite so brazenly as it is here in this state.

In Central Florida specifically, I hate that I can't find a decent pizza. I hate that fried whole belly clams are $35 and up, IF you can find a place that has them on the menu. I hate the lack of ethnic diversity. I hate that everyone gets cremated, and when you type "cemetery near me" or "graveyard near me" you get crematoriums and memorial gardens for results with the Baldwin Brothers at the top of the list. Where I come from, graveyards are chock full of American history, and are very peaceful places to just sit and reflect on life.

I hate that there aren't any town greens, which is arguably over specific, but I come from the home of the first Town Green in the country so I'm biased.

I hate that people think a 20-year-old home is "old." I hate the mentality behind that. Again - where I come from - an "old" home was built prior to 1925, and there are thousands of them in the New England area that function just fine, are well-insulated, have withstood dozens of nor'easters, and are beautiful. I hate the overdevelopment of what was once beautiful swampland. Development, I'm all for. Overdevelopment, see traffic jam #99972, Turnpike Exit Detour #49297, and sinkhole #2721.

I hate that homes sit on cement slabs, with no basements. One thing in particular, which to me is just really WEIRD: I hate that all these developments - not just The Villages - feature their garages as the most prominent visual when you are looking at houses. The garages are all out in front of the house, not behind or beside it. That is just - really really weird to me.
i knew you wouldn't like the politics, but the weather is great for arthritis/aches & pains. our old house in we ha needed so much works, it was a fortune to care for. i missed the basement @ 1st, but adapted within a year or so.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,039 Posts

yes, i love the Villages & feel lucky to have found it. i will stay here for sure, & do not miss NewEngland-- it was once a beautiful place, but things have changed.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,732 Times in 3,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
If you ever had a sump pump back up and spent weeks drying it out, or pay to run a dehumidifier in a room pack with junk you might need/want someday you don't miss
a basement.
Our house had a sump pump in the basement and it never switched on. The house was built in 1957, a ranch on 1/2 acre corner lot. There were a few true sumac trees (not poison sumac plants) and five sugar maples in the back yard including the "mama maple", which was over 250 years old. She was the "mother" of all the maples in the neighborhood, which was originally a farm. The houses across the street from us were all cape cods on concrete slabs. Our side of the street was mostly ranch homes, plus the original farmhouse next door to us, made of brick and timber. The farmhouse was built in 1912. Down the street from us was a vintage home that had originally been an inn and carriage house. It was listed on the historic homes registry, because Paul Revere was somehow affiliated with it. Maybe he stayed there at some point, or the guy who made his coffin brought wood up from somewhere and stayed there. I don't remember the exact history.

During one winter, our neighborhood got over 6 feet of snow in total within just a couple of weeks. Plows broke, one guy parked his car on the side of the road the day before the storms hit, didn't move it back to his driveway, and the plows didn't realize there was a car there since it was completely obscured by the drifts. His car ended up halfway onto his front lawn, crushed. A few days after the last of the snow that week, everything started to melt. Ice dams on roofs caused massive damage and in some homes, complete roof collapses. There was a lot of basement flooding and foundation cracks in the neighborhood. We got a little water damage to our kitchen floor and some minor damage to the guest bedroom wall. Our basement stayed dry.

One downside to our house was we had no central air conditioning, and the layout was such that we would need an A/C window unit in every room to keep the whole house cool. It was too impractical and noisy and expensive and it'd mean loss of daylight in two of the rooms, since they only had one window each. So we mostly suffered in the summer.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:00 PM

Absolutely, yes! Tonight we took the golf down to Brownwood, listened to some music, ate some tacos at the Mexican place, and my husband struck a conversation with this guy and ended up exchanging phone numbers - seems he is as into bikes as my husband. What more could a person ask for?

Tags
community, happy, villages, beautiful, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.