Are you happy you made The Villages your retirement home?

Old 05-22-2024, 08:57 AM

I moved to The Villages in 2001 and I still love it here. That's 23 years and I've seen a lot of changes. Some people don't adapt will to change, but you need it. We have a lot now that we did not have in 2001. No more driving to Leesburg or Ocala for basic needs like a hardware store, a doctor, a hospital, etc. It was great back then, but it is a lot better now. I will stay here until the end of my life if I have anything to say about it.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Default Love it except the false sense of security with the gates and gate keepers!

With the small exception of being over crowed during snow bird season I love living in the Villages. But the BIG exception is the absolute joke and false sense of security that you get from the gates and the gate keepers, all one has to do is push that red button and they are in. I have heard and actually know and see squatters that the home owners are having an issue getting out, and if those gates were enforced I would think that the squatter mess would drop at least in half. Solicitors come and knock on your door at will and do we really know anything about theses people, maybe Massey or some of the more reputable companies are fine but what about the countless lawn guys and such with no back round checks have absolute freedom to stake out our homes to see if we live here full time or not. If you are a snow bird and not living here full time you are at risk of having your home being squatted in.

This situation is going to come to a head someday if it hasn't already happened in your Village.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
We're very happy to be here. Initially it was simply for the weather, but now it's a whole lot more. We love exploring in the golf cart. We love all the entertainment and social options. We love the opportunities to volunteer with the organizations we support. I love not mowing five acres anymore. Although moving onto a postage stamp sized lot was an adjustment. We love our neighbors and the true sense of friendship and community we enjoy with them.

But like you say, nowhere's perfect. Defensive driving is absolutely required like no place I have ever seen. The traffic and the crowds up around the 6's keeps getting worse.

I think people are only as happy as they want to be. I believe if you can't be happy here you pretty much won't be happy anywhere.
I think it is funny you mention the traffic and the driving..........I have been here in Feb march and now moved here and I have to say the driving is great compared to arizona and all the red light runners and people who think side streets are race tracks this aint NOTHIN
Old 05-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,533 Posts

I liked it when I moved here and they said that they were not going to increase it's size. Since then, it has doubled in size and just about everywhere you go it is always crowded and there are long wait lines. Otherwise, it's a excellent place for seniors. AND, it ought to be just for seniors and not for airB&Bs, summer vacation resort for young adults and also an excuse for businesses to price gouge seniors. I enjoy Florida's weather and I like how quiet the neighborhoods are in the Villages. It would be even better IF The Villages was a true gated community, but at least we have the facade of having security.
That said, YES I am glad we decided to move here.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
I think it is funny you mention the traffic and the driving..........I have been here in Feb march and now moved here and I have to say the driving is great compared to arizona and all the red light runners and people who think side streets are race tracks this aint NOTHIN
Totally agree! Having moved here from DC, traffic (even in the winter) is wonderful!
Old 05-22-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I agree with some points, disagree with others. I won't argue or agree on politics as we don't do that in this forum. But we definitely do have "Florida Man" stories where no other state seems to have the equivalent.

Everybody from out of state has a pizza they miss. I miss Jets Pizza, a Michigan-based company that I didn't discover until I'd moved to North Carolina. I can get them here, but I wish they were closer to The Villages than Altamonte.

Is this place perfect? Of course not. No place is. Is it horrible? Not by a long stretch. We've been here 7 years and I'm still tickled pink to wake up here every day. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
I agree with, or can at least identify with, almost everything in your reply, as well the points made by OBB. It's great to hear from other folks that don't have blinders on!

I know it doesn't really help with Jets withdrawal but we were in Lakeland a couple weeks ago & made sure to order Jets pizza before we left the area. The good news is that was damn near as good as it used to be when we would get pizzas from the original location in Madison Heights! Hopefully someone will open a franchise near here soon!!
Old 05-22-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
By diversity I mean - I like seeing variety. I don't like my flowerbed to be all pink, or all white. I don't like my food to be all steak and potatoes. I don't like my neighbors houses to all look the same. A color-blind person can't really appreciate the color red, if the color blue looks brown to them. I need that variety - that DIVERSITY of sensory input, from places, foods, smells, people, colors, even religions and philosophies - I like my world to be three-dimensional and not a 2-D carbon-copy of my personal ideals.

It has to do with sensory stimulation, not emotional attachment to specific people or types or propaganda.
Very interesting comment. I get where you are coming from and not as important to me, but we get a lot of that through Travel, which my wife and I love to do.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-22-2024, 11:14 AM

We moved down here about 3 1/2 years ago. No regrets. My big fear up north was slipping on the ice in the winter and breaking something. No worries about that here, although I guess I could always trip over an alligator.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:40 AM
Gold member

The theme here historically (ToTV specific)....is if you don’t agree with somebody else’ opinions about life in TV vs somewhere else....is that you’re ‘unhappy’ and should ‘go back home’. Probably the same people that yelled ‘get off the lawn’ or called the cops when juveniles walk down your street at night......’back home’! Very narrow....and shallow way of thinking or living life. So I will resurrect my favorite line in that spirit....Geriatrics always comes back to Pediatrics! And clearly not just diapers!
Old 05-22-2024, 12:28 PM
TOTV Moderator

We've removed many of the hateful and off topic posts. You may not agree with someone else's viewpoint but please do so in a respectful manner. Please.. No more of the "If you don't like it here, leave" posts. Also please stay on topic.

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Very interesting comment. I get where you are coming from and not as important to me, but we get a lot of that through Travel, which my wife and I love to do.
We do too, but it does point out the sameness of TV, which makes me a little sad. But I'm happy with our life here. I hope we'll be able to travel for years to come.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,449 Times in 5,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We do too, but it does point out the sameness of TV, which makes me a little sad. But I'm happy with our life here. I hope we'll be able to travel for years to come.
Nothing is perfect but TV is pretty darn close
Old 05-22-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,387 Posts

Overall, I'm happy.

Pros:
My cost of living decreased by 75 percent.
Warm weather
No children

Cons:
Inadequate transportation
Mediocre restaurants
Old 05-22-2024, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beats View Post
With the small exception of being over crowed during snow bird season I love living in the Villages. But the BIG exception is the absolute joke and false sense of security that you get from the gates and the gate keepers, all one has to do is push that red button and they are in. I have heard and actually know and see squatters that the home owners are having an issue getting out, and if those gates were enforced I would think that the squatter mess would drop at least in half. Solicitors come and knock on your door at will and do we really know anything about theses people, maybe Massey or some of the more reputable companies are fine but what about the countless lawn guys and such with no back round checks have absolute freedom to stake out our homes to see if we live here full time or not. If you are a snow bird and not living here full time you are at risk of having your home being squatted in.

This situation is going to come to a head someday if it hasn't already happened in your Village.
The Villages isn't a gated community. Most of the roads are PUBLIC roads, not private. The gates are for traffic control, and as a "psychological deterrent" to crime rather than actual prevention. Just like - if someone wants to break into cars, they're more likely to open the door of someone who didn't lock it, rather than break the window. But they're still gonna get into your car if that's what they want to do.

Criminals will find a way to commit crime, wherever they feel is easiest to commit it. The gates make them think "well there's that other community right down the street, they don't have any gates or cameras at all. I'll get easier pickin's there" and go somewhere else.

Just like "guns don't kill people, people kill people." A lack of security doesn't cause crime. Criminals cause crime.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beats View Post

New villages have more door knocking that 2yo homes. Since 2007, and 5 different villages is rare to see more than 1-2 year.

We have been snowbirds, snowflakes, part time, and full time taking summers away. Have never had issues with the risks you post about.

Then again my home watch is retired LEO that stills carries, so no worries on that part

Tags
community, happy, villages, beautiful, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.