You might be interested to know

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I quit posting to the political forum because it quit being interesting or fun. People weren't really saying anything, just adding links to "jounalists" and columnists who agreed with their viewpoints. If you dared to disagree, they just got nasty. No fun, nothing new, nothing worth saying a thing about. It really had nothing to do with the fact that my man won or that I'm a liberal. If it ain't fun or interesting, why bother? I can hear the same tired arguments any evening in the squares and they don't want to hear any counterpoint to their viewpoints there, either.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
During the elections I visited Political quite a bit and added comments and felt the disagreements had more of a civil tone. Recently many issues discussed turned into an Obama bashing or unfortunately a bashing of the poster with an opposing opinion (like what was happening to Cologal). I agree with Red, and I think she clearly stated some of the issues some of us had about the former Political site. I honestly felt afraid to post any opinion for fear of getting a bashing too.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Sage
Wink From the left!

I'm here....

The Villages Florida

ahem.... that's spelled with a "W" boys!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
After all the hoopla, many of our most outspoken TOTV political posters have hightailed it out of town.

I guess the voice of reason won out.
I really don't care and I think this post belongs in the political forum.

Long ago after a few visits to the political forum, I realized I didn't like it. I simply never went back to it.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
I'm here....

The Villages Florida

ahem.... that's spelled with a "W" boys!
Good one Chels!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Veteran member
Default I think you just made it more trouble than it was worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
After all the hoopla, many of our most outspoken TOTV political posters have hightailed it out of town.

I guess the voice of reason won out.
I think you just made it more trouble than it was worth. To sign up and go to another area.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Yea, you're right. We thought that might happen. Two mouse clicks are far too difficult for them.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I quit posting to the political forum because it quit being interesting or fun. People weren't really saying anything, just adding links to "jounalists" and columnists who agreed with their viewpoints. If you dared to disagree, they just got nasty. No fun, nothing new, nothing worth saying a thing about. It really had nothing to do with the fact that my man won or that I'm a liberal. If it ain't fun or interesting, why bother? I can hear the same tired arguments any evening in the squares and they don't want to hear any counterpoint to their viewpoints there, either.
I agree! I listen & read enough bs from friends who have turned hateful because of political stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
I agree! I listen & read enough bs from friends who have turned hateful because of political stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been receiving emails from friends and former co-workers, who don't know one another, recirculating the same kind of negative bs that you referred too. I can tell from the titles what they are and can delete without bothering to open.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Good morning, Shirleevee and BobKat,

I know what you mean and so I had to come up with a plan. For the emails, it's easy. The pattern can be spotted right away and so you can just hit delete without even opening it. I still very much like these people, but enough is enough. (They never know I deleted the stuff though. I am a moderate after all. I just never respond on that topic.)

But, when your friends and relatives are with you in person, sometimes you have to set ground rules. My sister-in-law makes a noise like a loud buzzer when topics of conversation at family gatherings start to go astray. She is a pastor so everybody minds her.

When people are at my house and they want to invoke Rush or Beck or whoever, I just say, "I cannot talk about that anymore." And then I tickle them and tickle them and tickle them until they cannot stop laughing.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

Boomer
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Eternal Member
Default Filtering Forums

In a post a while ago I asked Tony if we could do the following:

1. Provide a way that we can filter the forums so we only see the forums we want in the New Posts. Then, if we want, we can go to the list at the bottom to see the other forums.

I personally though that this would have been better than making the Political forum a selected forum because I could have gotten rid of all of those forums I do not want to see.

It also would not have singled a particular group out which I think is undemocratic.

2. Put a checkbox in the new forums so we can mark unwanted posts as read so we don't see them on the next time we go to the New Posts unless there is a new posting.

My feeling was that we could go to New Posts and Click on all of the posts we do not want to see be it political or feminine or items for sale, etc and do a GO and end up with a filtered list.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
anyexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

1. Provide a way that we can filter the forums so we only see the forums we want in the New Posts. Then, if we want, we can go to the list at the bottom to see the other forums.

I personally though that this would have been better than making the Political forum a selected forum because I could have gotten rid of all of those forums I do not want to see.

It also would not have singled a particular group out which I think is undemocratic.

2. Put a checkbox in the new forums so we can mark unwanted posts as read so we don't see them on the next time we go to the New Posts unless there is a new posting.

My feeling was that we could go to New Posts and Click on all of the posts we do not want to see be it political or feminine or items for sale, etc and do a GO and end up with a filtered list.
I feel that the administrators have identified a concern/problem without bias. It is apparent that they looked at a large varitety of possible solutions and selected what they believe to be the BEST solution available. They believe that it is the BEST solution for their business and the BEST option for all members. I appreciate their attention to this matter and respect their decision.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

Caveman, I agree that this is a good option. But, I am in the software business. Sometimes things that "sound" easy and logical to users, are in fact complex and expensive to program.

I don't know if your suggestion is possible inside the framework of the provider that provides hosting for TOTV.

I agree with anyexit that TH and Tony have made the best decision for their business and (hopefully) for their customers.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.